“Nice room but a few annoyances” 4 of 5 stars

Daily breakfast for two
Ranked #8 of 273 hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersGold level
California
“Nice room but a few annoyances”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

We stayed at the Venetian for the first time in early December. The room was very nice and very comfortable however I had a few issues with the hotel itself. When we checked in, we were not given any instructions on how to connect to the wifi, for which the mandatory "resort fee" is charged. I would have thought that these instructions would come standard with the check-in paperwork or process. I called down to the front desk to ask how to connect to their wifi & was told to enter my room number and part of my last name. This didn't work. Had to call downstairs again & was then told that when entering my room number, I also needed to enter our floor number; it would have been nice if the first person I spoke to had told me this! It still didn't work! Had to call the front desk again & was connected to their I.T. Dept who advised that we had to wipe out all the cookies on our Ipads in order to get it to work. We did this & were finally able to connect however the connection was spotty at best. We could not connect to google, yahoo, our bank's web site, etc. We were frustrated and didn't call for any more help as we had already wasted enough time! For the remainder of our stay, the wifi worked when it wanted to & was basically useless. It was slow, intermittent & kept taking us to the Venetian's web site instead of allowing us to use our own browser. We were fed up with the internet connectivity issue and I asked for a refund of the resort fee upon check-out. I was given a credit of that fee which was nice but it would have been nicer if the internet had worked in the first place and if written or at least verbal instructions were provided in the first place upon check-in. It's almost as though they don't want to advertise their wifi connection because they know it doesn't work well & they don't want people to complain so they just don't mention that the resort fee covers this!

As someone else pointed out, the Venetian uses a perfume scent to cover up the smell of smoke in the casino. The smell of the perfume bothered me much more than the smoke itself. We visited the Aria which uses a scent to cover up the smoke but their scent was much nicer & didn't give me a sore throat every time we walked through the casino. I had originally booked the Aria but changed at the last minute to the Venetian but in retrospect, I wish we had stayed at the Aria and will do so the next time we're in Vegas. The perfume scent is probably not a big deal to most people and in fairness, I'm sensitive to perfume scents so for me, it was problematic.

The common areas of the hotel are very nice and overall the Venetian is a fine hotel. The restaurants were good and it was nice being able to walk into the Palazzo to shop or eat. The property is so large though that we got lost several times trying to get from the parking garage to our room in the Venezia tower and after 4 days there, I still couldn't find my way back and forth. It involved a lot of walking to get to/from the car but I guess this is to be expected at such a large property.

All in all, I would not stay at the Venetian again due to the perfume scent but again, I'm sensitive to such things. The room itself was nice and for what I paid, I felt it was a good value, minus the ridiculous resort fee for the wifi that didn't work.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
PA_GuestRelations2, VP of Hotel Operations at Venetian Resort Hotel Casino, responded to this review, December 29, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing The Venetian|The Palazzo as your host you during your recent visit. We are humbled to have received your insightful comments, for there really is no greater way to better our services than by receiving truly vital feedback from a valued guest.

We truly appreciate that you have so graciously allowed us the opportunity to learn about your recent experience, and I also appreciate the feedback you have provided regarding your WiFi service and the fragrance in the casino. I am pleased to read that the front desk adjusted the resort fees for your WiFi challenges. The scent that is circulated throughout our property is a distinct fragrance that many of our guests have enjoyed through the years, and although it is based on personal preference, I am extremely disappointed to know that the fragrance was so bothersome for you.

I sincerely apologize for the unnecessary stress that we had imposed on you. It is through communication such as yours that we are better able to monitor and improve services for our guests, and we thank you kindly for your time in sharing your experience with us. Please be assured that we do take all feedback and suggestions seriously, and we will look into them accordingly.

We hope this atypical experience will not deter you from visiting our property again. If I may be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact our Guest Relations department directly.

13,193 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,992)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

If you are deciding what resort to stay at look no further.Yes it does cost a little more but worth it.The rooms are stunning. I mean real Suites. If you can upgrade you room do it. We booked a Prima Suite Expedia $399. For a extra $150 we upgraded to a 2300 square feet suite.

Thanks Josh slot supervisor and Mike slot attendant helping us with the Rock of Ages Slot machines.You both are a true asset to the Sands Corporation.I see great things in your future

Room Tip: IN the AM get your coffee to go at the Grand Lux Café no lines.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
PA_GuestRelations2, VP of Hotel Operations at Venetian Resort Hotel Casino, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words and feedback! It is a pleasure to read about how much you enjoyed our opulent accommodations. Our standard is a suite and we not only provide the largest standard accommodations on the Las Vegas strip, but as you pointed out The Venetian | The Palazzo has some of the best amenities.

There is no greater satisfaction, as a customer service professional, than receiving kind words from a valued guest. Rest assured that your comments have been shared with the appropriate department heads, so they may in turn, share your wonderful compliments with their team members. I am confident that each department will delight in knowing that they contributed to the enjoyment of your stay.

VP of Hotel Operation
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

We stayed at the Venetian for 5 days from the 15th of December. As soon as we walked in we were bombarded with the smell of smoke this seemed to be a constant as you got closer to the casino. While we asked for a non-smoking room which we got, at times walking to the elevator on our floor you could still smell the smoke. I would recommend better ventilation systems as not all patrons smoke or want to constantly smell smoke. We frequented other casinos and the ventilation was better. It would also have been nice to be told on check in that there is a smoke free casino floor, found that out by chance on our last day. We were lucky and found non-smoking pockets in the main casino but smoke does not stay confined to one area.

The food was plentiful at the Grand Lux but lacked flavour, it was convenient to eat there though. Also there was an odd sewer like smell in the café area entrance at times.

The rooms were nice but really who needs three televisions, with one obstructed by mini bar items that you could not move for fear of being charged on their sensor system. The TV in the bathroom was awkwardly placed because to watch tv in the bathtub you would be leaning against the faucet, not very comfortable. Instead of the three tvs why not have a fan in the toilet area, and also in the toilet area the light was so dim, and needed “warm up” time so we were forced to leave it on.

The resort fee is a joke and it’s a shame when you need to ride an elevator to go in search of a newspaper daily, also the location to get the newspaper is not ideal. When you find the paper you need to ride the elevator back to your room and leave it for your return. For our 4 night stay we paid over a $100 for 2 newspapers, how is that a fair resort fee? I also find it hard to believe people come to Vegas to go to the gym or spend time on the internet. Maybe the fee should be for use of service not across the board.

The Café Presse is also a sham as its not centrally located and requires an elevator ride and a walk through the smoke filled casino. We were two people there for 4 mornings and only got two free cups of coffee, rather misleading. The coupon book on a whole is misleading as the places are hard to find and staff seemed put out when the coupon was presented for 2 for 1 drinks. It really is smoke and mirror with the coupons. Better orientation is needed to let patrons know what is available at the hotel and in Vegas. At the casino my friend was given Grazie the casino card, I who was standing next to her was not offered one. How does that make sense? I had to go get one on my own.

The hotel is big, a welcome package in rooms placed on the bed would be useful, and should contain a proper map. We also did not appreciate being asked each and every day if we were coming back from the staff at the mall level. Within our arrival we were asked 3 times. Not everyone is interested in time shares nor do I know within 2 hours of arrival if I plan to come back next year. I now have an answer and that answer is maybe and that will be based on what other hotels are offering.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for providing valuable feedback on your recent stay at The Venetian | The Palazzo. I would like to apologize on behalf of The Venetian | The Palazzo and our team for your experience during your stay. It concerns me deeply to that the service, or lack thereof, that you experienced did not reflect a level of exceptionality. I am very disappointed to hear that your visit was not a complete success.

Since you extensively discussed your distaste for the smoke in the casino I wanted to take a moment and make some specific recommendations. First, The Palazzo offers smoke free corridors similar to what you recommend in your post. Additionally, I want to recommend that for your next visit that you travel to and from your suite utilizing the Grand Canal Shoppes level. The Grand Canal Shoppes are completely smoke free and you can take the suite elevators to this level and then traverse the property to your final destination.

I also wanted to assure you that the television is visible from the bathtub in many suites on property. The location of the television in the bathroom is determined by the orientation of the suite. For your next visit I recommend that you contact guest relations in advance so that they can ensure the suite you receive has a television visible from the bathtub.

Please also accept my sincere apologies for the dissatisfaction you experienced while at Grand Lux Café. While I cannot speak on their behalf, as The Venetian | The Palazzo does not directly own or operate this outlet, I know they will share my concern as they constantly seek opportunities to improve their service. I encourage you to reach out to Grand Lux Café directly to address your concerns.

I wanted to take a moment and clarify our resort fee. Many guests enjoy the abundant benefits that the resort fee offers. Included in the fee is complimentary internet access, access to our fitness center, a complimentary cup of coffee from Cafe Presse and daily newspaper among many other benefits. I am apologizing specifically that all the benefits of the resort fee were not more clearly explained to you.

The Venetian | The Palazzo combine to create the world’s largest five diamond resort and while this is impressive it can also make finding things challenging. Since you mentioned that you had trouble navigating on our property I recommend The Venetian | The Palazzo mobile application for your next visit. When downloaded onto your GPS enable smart phone this application will give you turn by turn directions as you navigate our opulent and large property.

I apologize that you were inconvenienced by the Grandview Timeshare sales people. The Grand Canal Shoppes are not owned nor operated by The Venetian | The Palazzo. I apologize for the stress that this experienced caused you, however, should you wish to discuss this further I encourage you to reach out to The Grand Canal Shoppes management directly as they are always looking for ways to improve our mutual guest’s experienced.

Finally, I am saddened that we did not have the opportunity to try and rectify these challenges while you were staying here. As you know, TripAdvisor reviews are not easily linked to your reservation and therefore I cannot easily find a way to contact you; however, I encourage you to contact our guest relations office directly so they can further discuss your situation and do what it takes to earn you future loyalty.

PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

This was our second stay at the Venetian. The last time we waited until the wee hour of the moning, this time, rooms were ready. We had a great room on the 8th floor that while wasn't an upgrade view room, we had a great view of the mountains around us, so we considered it a view room.
The drawbacks to this stay were the horrendously slow and non-working internet/wifi which will need correcting and the fact that there is no coffee/tea service in the rooms which makes utterly no sense from a service standpoint. I presume expecting guests to pay an exhorbitant free for room service coffee/tea service and the flip side of that is having to dress in the morning to take a long hike for your morning beverage.
Our room, I think, was not one of the renovated rooms. The bathroom still has outdated gold fixtures although the room itself is quiet and comfortable and the bathroom spacious. We really like having the all-suite concept as it gives you more room to stretch out.
The hotel surroundings itself with the canal shoppes area is amazing just due to the near complexity of construction.
The other drawback which I find in all hotels in Vegas, and this one is no exception, is the putrid air fresheners that they use throughout the hotel/casino that when combined with the cigarette smoke in the casino area is enough to make you gag and just run through as fast as you can.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words and feedback! It is a pleasure to read about how much you enjoyed our opulent accommodations. Our standard is a suite and we provide the largest standard accommodations on the Las Vegas strip.

I also appreciate your insightful feedback about in suite coffee makers. It is never our intention to cause our guests this unnecessary stress or inconvenience. For your next visit I want to recommend that you take advantage of the complimentary cup of coffee available as part of our resort fee. It can be redeemed at Cafe Presse with the voucher that you received at the time of check in.

I also apologize that our deodorizing system was not to your satisfaction. It is quite possible that, due to ventilation and air currents, the air freshener was particularly concentrated around the areas you entered. I think you will find that the scent dissipates and becomes more pleasing as you move about the property.

Thank you for you positive feedback and it is my sincere hope that I will have the privilege of welcoming you back to The Venetian | The Palazzo in the near future.

Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

It's our first time in Vegas and I picked The Venetian for lodging. I am a Priority Club member but I didn't know this hotel was in the chain as well. So, we had just visited the Grand Canyon, and we were staying at Holiday Inn in Tusayon with $120 paid. That's a regular price of Holiday Inn chain, right. Then here we are at The Venetian, all suites 5-star hotel, booked with $149+20 per night. Though, nothing is complimentary here but it's a totally different experience, right? It's a great value to us. Plus, we requested a crib for our 13-month old. Came with the crib, there's also a surrounding bumper and a set of bathing care products which we had never received in other hotels that we had stayed since the baby was born. (We travel a lot.)

Room Tip: If possible, get a room on higher floors towards the strip which will cost extra in holiday seasons.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive review on Trip Advisor. There is no greater satisfaction, as a customer service professional, than receiving kind words from a valued guest. Rest assured that your comments have been shared with our team members. They will truly appreciate hearing from satisfied guests like you.

I am pleased to hear that you are an Intercontinental Hotels Priority Club Member. As the first ever Intercontinental Alliance resort we are proud to have received such a glowing review as Priority Club members are among our most important guests. I thank you again for your review and look forward to welcoming you back to The Venetian | The Palazzo in the near future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Venetian Hotel in Las Vegas. No wonder it's rated the best hotel on the strip. The decor of the lobby, casino and adjoining Shoppes at the Canal is unbelievably beautiful- reminiscent of the glamour and romance of Venice. It's very seldom that a property lives up to the photos on its website, but in this case pictures do not do this hotel justice. We stayed two nights during the Christmas break for only $150/night for a 600 plus sq foot suite with two queen beds and a sitting area. Wow what a deal! Beware there is a $20 a day resort fee. Parking is free. This is one of the most popular hotels on the strip so expect crowds and hustle and bustle. If your interested in a gondola ride, you have to make a reservation and buy tickets in advance. Lines for the ride form early. The Venetian is walking distance to many of the other popular hotels like the Mirage and Casears Palace, so you don't have to rent a car. We did because we had young children and wanted to drive to the Grand Canyon. I would highly reccommend the Venetian!

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for allowing us to host you during your recent visit and for taking the time to share your experience. I am humbled to have received such thoughtful comments, for there really is no greater satisfaction, as a customer service professional, than receiving kind words from a valued guest. Your feedback is a testament and reflection of the continued success of The Venetian |The Palazzo’s diligent strides towards personalized and second-to-none service and for our clear and paramount five-diamond vision.

Once again I genuinely thank you for your time and for your kind words, the words that have reminded us of our agreement, ability and empowerment to continue our pursuit of providing our guests with nothing less than the best.

OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

I loved staying at the Venetian!!! The room was so spacious and absolutely gorgeous!!! It was very clean and quiet, and beds were soo comfortable! I would definitely recommend the Venetian and I would love to stay here again!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
PA_GuestRelations2, VP of Hotel Operations at Venetian Resort Hotel Casino, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words and feedback! It is a pleasure to read about how much you enjoyed our opulent accommodations. Our standard is a suite and we not only provide the largest standard accommodations on the Las Vegas strip, but as you pointed out The Venetian | The Palazzo has the best beds on the strip.

Thank you again for your review on TripAdvisor and I look forward to hosting you here at The Venetian | The Palazzo many times in the future.

VP of Hotel Operations

Been to Venetian Resort Hotel Casino? Share your experiences!