“Winter In Venice” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Langley City, Canada
“Winter In Venice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

This is a great time of year to go to Vegas. The sweltering summer heat is gone, so it's an ideal temperature for walking. And The Venetian puts on their Winter In Venice festivities, which include dancers and costumed characters that perform in front of the hotel as well as inside, elves handing out small cups of hot apple cider, an outdoor "ice" skating area, and a giant tree of lights at the street.

This is my first stay at The Venetian, but I've been through the public areas many times before. The Grand Canal area is not decorated for the season, but the waterfall at the connected Palazzo Shoppes is, and it looks great.

At check-in, they give you a Winter In Venice coupon book, which does have quite a few good deals in it. They're divided up by type so you can easily open up to the restaurant section, or the shopping section. One of the coupons is for another book from the Apothecary at the Palazzo (this is starting to feel like a scavenger hunt) which gives you coupons mostly for the Fashion Show Mall across the street. I recommend picking this up as soon as you get there.

The Da Vinci exhibit was good, but tickets were cheaper through Tix4Tonight. Another benefit of buying through Tix4Tonight is you can buy discounts at restaurants. For example, you may get a "buy one entree, get one free" offer for $2.00. One of the best Tix4Tonight deals was for I ♥ Burgers (at The Palazzo), which for $2 per diner gives you 50% off your entire check. That's an amazing deal when you consider that it also discounts your drinks, and this place has a great beer selection to go with its impressive gourmet burgers. You have to plan your meals ahead to take advantage of these offers, but if you can, it's worthwhile.

The room is very spacious and the bed is very comfortable. The furniture is quite nice, but the corner sofa really shows its age. Our room was missing its robes and the safe was briefly defective, but The Venetian staff quickly remedied both of those problems (roughly 15 minutes for both incidents). Very little noise gets in from outside. We had a very noisy family occupying two adjacent rooms, but we didn't hear them from inside our room; only when we were out in the hall.

One thing really sticks out in my mind on this trip, and it happened the first day we were there. At check-in, we were presented with two coupons: One was for a free coffee at Cafe Presse, and the other was for a 2-for-1 drink at any casino bar. The drinks coupon is fine, except that the casino bar charges nearly double what a drink that size should cost in Vegas (over $9 for a ~300ml cocktail), so you're not really saving anything. No big deal, I just didn't think there was much point to the coupon.

But the one that drives me crazy is the free coffee coupon. My wife and I checked in as a couple, they knew there were two of us when we booked, but they gave us one free coffee. Not one per day. Just one. I even asked, as they gave us the coupon, if they were aware that there are two of us checking in. The clerk affirmed that she was aware we were a couple, but the coupon is for one coffee. My advice to The Venetian would be: If you can't afford to give two coffees to a couple checking in for a week's stay, then don't give any. A coupon for one coffee given to two people makes you look like you have no idea what you're doing. Funny how such a small thing made such a big impression.

Overall our stay was great. We checked in quickly, checked out quickly, had no wait for a taxi, and the location on the strip is great. Would stay here again if the price was right, but we're not so enamoured that we wouldn't give another hotel a try next time.

Room Tip: Ask for the 16th or 28th floor. That ensures you'll get an empty elevator every time you go dow...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
PA_GuestRelations2, VP of Hotel Operations at Venetian Resort Hotel Casino, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your positive experience. There is no greater satisfaction, as a customer service professional, than receiving kind words from a valued guest. Rest assured that your comments have been shared with our team members. They will truly appreciate hearing from satisfied guests like you.

Every aspect of The Venetian | The Palazzo was created for the enjoyment of our guests; from our luxurious suites and beautifully re-created historic landmarks of Venice, Italy, to hand-painted frescos and world-class restaurants. I am so very pleased to hear that you had such a memorable and enjoyable stay.

Thank you for your very extensive review and providing so many details and insights. I am particularly struck by the time and extensive detail that you provided future visitors to The Venetian | The Palazzo. I appreciate your thoughtful review and concern to advise fellow travelers of the tips, locations and moments that made your stay so memorable and special.

Thank you for the detailed dining recommendations that you provided for your fellow travelers. With over thirty restaurants and nine James Beard award winning chefs, The Venetian | The Palazzo truly combine to create the unrivaled culinary capital of the world. The restaurants you mentioned bring back culinary memories of my own and I am pleased that you have such fond feelings for them as well.

Since value is important to you, I want to recommend Grazie, our hotel loyalty program. Grazie is a wonderful way to be rewarded for your loyalty and get discounts on everything from our spa and retail stores to discounts on future stays.

I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed Winter in Venice and your stay overall. Still, I would like to apologize on behalf of The Venetian | The Palazzo and our team for your experience during your stay. It concerns me deeply that you were displeased with the coffee that was included in the resort fee. I have forwarded your comments to the appropriate department, which always welcomes suggestions for improvement.

I value your patronage and certainly hope to host you again so that we may continue to amaze you with our Unmatched Service Standards and opulent accommodations.

VP of Hotel Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,129)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Hamilton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Went to the Venetian for 5 days in 2011 for my 30th birthday & was in love! This hotel was absolutely beautiful! The room was HUGE. Myself, my sister & my mother went & slept and lived comfortably there. We easily could have had 3 more people stay with us and be completely at ease. The room was spotless, the beds amazing & comfortable! This will be the hotel I stay at every time I visit Vegas!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the privilege of hosting you during your 30th birthday celebration! Congratulations on this special milestone and I am pleased that The Venetian | The Palazzo enhanced and contributed to your celebration.

Thank you for your positive review on TripAdvisor and I anxiously anticipate many more opportunities to serve you during future special occasions.

Roscommon, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Myself and my husband spent 4 amazing nights at the wonderful Venetian hotel in Las Vegas. Its a vast hotel but very well run. There can be a bit of a wait for check in and check out but the staff are excellent and make everything run smoothly. You cannot access the lifts to the suites without showing your room card so security is top notch! The suites are amazing and luxurious. Hotel is very well located right in the heart of everything but you don't hear any of the madness at night time - the rooms are like an oasis of calm even though life carries on 24/7 in Vegas! Lots of restaurant choices and food choices - doesnt matter what time of day or night you arrive, there will always be a restaurant open! Lots of beautiful shops, the beautiful gondola rides, this stunning hotel inside and out will not disappoint! This is the place to stay in Vegas and we can't wait to return!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
PA_GuestRelations2, VP of Hotel Operations at Venetian Resort Hotel Casino, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Dear Guest,

I value your patronage and certainly hope to host you again so that we may continue to amaze you with our Unmatched Service Standards.

Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

wow great service and beautiful rooms. Traveled over thanks giving weekend 2012. Arrived at approx 10am fully expecting to not get into the room till 3pm, approached the luggage drop staff, they were very helpful and suggested i attempt to check in instead. Small line to the check-in staff, staff very helpful and checked in a few hours early. Requested a quiet room away from noise. They were very accommodating we were allocated a room on the 21st floor, i had some of the best nights sleep I've had in a long time. The room itself was amazing, clean and nicely set out, good quality furnishing and all in top notch condition. Rooms black out really well for those wishing to have a sleep in. Views from the room were partial of the strip and the mountains. Can imagine the views varying greatly depending on level, don't imagine the lower levels would have much of a view.
The hotel environment was always nice, after the crazyness off the strip it was always nice to step inside the venetian, the canals and shops were great and there was always a high level presence of security staff which seemed to keep the place free from undesirables. They had a winter theme at the time of the visit and roving performers, all very good and added to the atmosphere.
stayed for 3 nights and could have easily only had meals in the hotel ground during this time and been very happy.
Took the half hourly shuttle back to the airport, no worries there, it stopped at 3 hotels before the airport but was not a slow experience.
Overall great experience and would happily stay at the venetian again.

Room Tip: ask for quiet room the higher the level the better. yes the hallways are long but nothing too crazy...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
PA_GuestRelations2, VP of Hotel Operations at Venetian Resort Hotel Casino, responded to this review, November 26, 2012

Albany, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

This is the 5th year our family has met at the Venetian to celebrate Thanksgiving. This was the first time we stayed in the Venezia Tower. The rooms are wonderful and new, however, the walk to get anywhere from this tower is dreadful. My in-laws are senior citizens that had a very hard time navigating the distances and it added 5-10 minutes and 2 extra elevators to get anywhere. We would never opt to stay in this tower again despite the lovely rooms.
Canyon Ranch is always a delight. Classes are wonderful and the staff is amazing! We cannot thank them enough for welcoming us back every year and making the impersonal large resort seem more intimate. Sue at Canyon Ranch could not do enough to ensure everything went perfectly.
Contrary to the warm connection we have to the Canyon Ranch staff the Venetian staff is absent, cold and out of touch. After five years I would think that someone would go out of their way to make us feel welcomed . The service is really spotty and inconsistent. There was no one available to help us with the trek from the Palazzo with our luggage upon change of tower rooms,.housekeeping cleaned when they wanted not when you requested, turndown service occured for 2 nights and then we were told it was no longer being done, .restaurants at the Venetian did not follow similar charging protocols for putting charges on our Venetian tab,(some allowed you to charge to the room and others did NOT), conceirge service request for a photograher was met with an outrageous price quote, and early check-in for the adjacent room we reserved and held for our college age sons was not honored.
Overall, everyone felt as though the Venetian did not live up to expectation this year and whether we go back next year remains to be seen.

Room Tip: Do not stay at the Venezia Tower unless you want a beautiful room that is very far away from everyth...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for providing valuable feedback on your recent stay at The Venetian | The Palazzo. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the Canyon Ranch Spa Club. Still, I would like to apologize on behalf of The Venetian | The Palazzo and our team for your experience during your stay. It concerns me deeply to that the service, or lack thereof, that you experienced did not reflect a level of exceptionality.

I also apologize that you were inconvenienced by the long walks to and from your suite. The Venezia is designed to provide a more secluded, quiet and restful experience; therefore, it is more removed from the hustle and bustle of the main casino floor and resort. I am disheartened to hear that you did not bring the discontent with your suite location to our attention while you were here on property as we would have made every attempt to relocate you to a suite in our main Venetian tower.

Requests for a specific suite location are not guaranteed; however, I want to recommend that on your next family Thanksgiving weekend that you get adjoining suites by calling resort services in advance and guaranteeing the upgrade. For $10 per suite per night you can guarantee adjoining suites and this sounds like it would have been perfect in your situation. I apologize that this option was not proactively offered to you when you made your reservation.

Finally, many of the outlets on property are not owned nor operated by The Venetian | The Palazzo and therefore, it is at their management’s discretion if they allow charges from their establishment to be charged to a suite. I apologize that this caused you any stress or inconvenience during your stay.

Again, I extend my apologies and hope that this atypical experience does not deter you from visiting us in the future. Please feel free to contact our guest relations office directly if you wish to further discuss your most recent stay.

NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

This place was beautiful! The rooms were nice and spacious, (we had a bella suite). The staff was very helpful and professional. It was nicely decorated and the restaurants that we ate at (Grand deluxe cafe) had great food. The venetian was centrally located to all the other hotels. Make sure you bring comfortable shoes! You will be walking a lot.

Room Tip: There is a Denny's close by for breakfast.
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your positive experience. There is no greater satisfaction, as a customer service professional, than receiving kind words from a valued guest. Rest assured that your comments have been shared so I may enliven our team members with your thoughtful compliments. I am confident that our staff delights in knowing that they contributed to the enjoyment of your stay and we all look forward to your return.

Temple Hills, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

I've visited Vegas several times, this visit was for business purposes. The room is a nice size for a standard however, the decor could stand a bit of updating. Service was great; there are a few great restaurants in the breezeway between the Palazzo and the Venetian. I would recommend this hotel to someone who wants a step-up from the Luxor, and etc.

Room Tip: Views of the strip come with a hefty price.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for providing valuable feedback on your recent stay at The Venetian | The Palazzo. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed our restaurants and service. Still, I would like to apologize on behalf of The Venetian | The Palazzo and our team for your experience during your stay. It concerns me deeply that the décor was not to your liking. I have forwarded your comments to the appropriate department, which always welcomes suggestions for improvement.

Again, I extend my apologies and hope that this atypical experience does not deter you from visiting The Venetian | The Palazzo in the future.

VP of Hotel Operations

Been to Venetian Resort Hotel Casino? Share your experiences!