“Basic, Solid, Modern” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   455 E. Harmon Ave., Las Vegas, NV 89169 (Paradise)   |
Ranked #125 of 272 Hotels in Las Vegas
“Basic, Solid, Modern”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

Checking in (on a Sunday) was a bit of a hassle, as there were only two clerks working. But after waiting 15-20 minutes and finally getting up to our room I was pleasantly surprised by how cozy and modern the room was. I enjoyed the updated decor, fluffy bed, and luxurious bathroom. My only negative would be that the shower is definitely not big enough for two people and was not cleaned very well. I could still see calcium deposits on the shower head, nothing major. Also, I would stay out of the soaking tub, who knows what gone on in there haha.
Other Pros: off the strip but close enough for a five minute drive to the casinos, hard rock is across the street. There are also many fast food restaurants near by (yoshinoya, 711, etc).
You get what you pay for, balling on a budget (:

Room Tip: It's not necessary to splurge for the balcony.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

The room was a little hot. The air conditioners could stand to be updated and the flat screens could be bigger. But it was great outside and the room was a nice size with a living room and a neat bathroom.

Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

I have been in this hotel room in the last weekend of March. The room was very VERY spacious, much more than the regular rooms at the Aria hotel. Hotel has a pool and pool cabanas which are nice and clean. It also provides with free wi-fi on your room which seems to be a luxury in Las Vegas and that helped my husband and me to do our web check-in for our flight. Some people complained about the noise coming from other rooms, but our room was nice and quite. Bath tub is big too but you need to see it as a bath tub and not a jacuzzi because it does not have any hydro massaging. The hotel is also really close from the strip. You can walk to it and you'll be there in less than 20 minutes with a slow pace.
My only complain will be with a guy from the check-out. We needed to print our boarding passes and the girl who was doing our check-out process super kindly let us do the printing in one of the PCS they have there. But then, this guy, whose name I can't remember arrived and in a very unkind tone told my husband the PCs were private and he should not be using it. Our receptionist let him know that she had allowed us, but even with this he continued telling us we can't use them until our receptionist told him to leave us alone and that she had everything under control. That is definitely not the right attitude for someone working in any hotel in the world.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Woodbridge, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

The only positives for this hotel is its location and pretty interior colors. That's it. Customer service was non existent. Pool was never open at any point in time. Water pressure in the shower was very weak.

• Stayed November 2013
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

A very unpleasant experience--the clerk my wife and I dealt with at registration was condescending and demeaning throughout our check-in. When we asked that we not be placed in one of the units facing the road, she immediately claimed that all units of the type we reserved (a “Skyline View”) were located there. That didn’t make much sense, since the hotel consists of a group of 2-story buildings in a circle, only a few of which are on that side. Further, we had requested a higher floor online, but after making a phone call, she told us that while a room on the second floor had been assigned to us, it was not made up yet. The implication was we needed to take something else (the only option, of course, being a first floor room facing the road, since the hotel was sold out) or we would have a very long wait, so we gave in. We could certainly have been switched to one of the rooms assigned to the many guests who hadn’t checked in yet, considering we arrived by the 4:00 start of check-in, but this woman had her mind made up where we were going to be.

After seeing the room, I returned to speak with the clerk, in part because it was hard to believe anything visible from the window of this room could be considered a “skyline.” Predictably, I was told we had no options as far as checking out early without paying the full price, but she also said we would not even be allowed to change rooms later in the stay, since the hotel was sold out for the weekend. (This also didn’t make much sense to me; typically at least a few individuals check out of most hotels every morning, creating some available rooms.) The room we received was otherwise adequate, and the large tub was a nice feature, but it was quite overpriced. I also have to wonder why guests are forced to go find drinking glasses to bring back to the room and why there couldn’t there have been more than one working ice machine on the whole property. To make it worse, the guest in the adjoining room on our last night was apparently a chain smoker based on the fumes coming through the connecting door.

Part of the problem might also have been that my wife and I are in our 40s/50s, and I suspect we didn’t quite fit into the younger demographic the hotel seems to be catering to. The clientele looked similar to those you’d find staying at the Hard Rock, which is right across the street. On that note, if you’re not interested in the Hard Rock, there isn’t much else in the vicinity that made the Rumor’s location particularly desirable, although the nearby drug and convenience stores were handy.

I’ve heard the trend is to open smaller hotels such as this one, and the idea sounded good when we booked, but we later figured out it’s also nice to be somewhere large enough that there are some options if you need to change rooms. As far as service, training their clerk to avoid the patronizing tone would be a step in the right direction. (The scary part is, it looked like she may have been in charge.) You also might think the check-in process at a “boutique” hotel (which this really isn't) would be quicker, but it was extremely slow at the Rumor. My complaint to the General Manager went unanswered. We won’t be back.

Room Tip: You won't have a choice so it doesn't matter.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Carson City, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

This was a hotel I found on line through Southwest Airlines and was a little unsure after reading previous reviews. This was a very nice place. Clean room and thoroughly enjoyed. Would definitely stay again! It is very close to the airport which we needed for quick return the next day.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

I stayed at this hotel because of an event at the hotel that I was participating in. Very convenient to not have to drive after the event, but I would not stay here again. I was surprised at check-in to have to sign a form that no food or drinks are allowed. That's weird. Once in my room, I actually liked the mellow color scheme. The room and bath were spacious. Nice walk-in shower plus a deep tub in the bedroom. I was surprised that there was no clock in the room and the internet was not working when I first got into the room. The front desk had to reboot the system. The security locks on the door and the slider were both broken. Being on the ground floor, the broken slider lock made me a bit nervous but it couldn't be fixed while I was there so I just tried not to think about it. There are so many hotel choices in Las Vegas, I would definitely look at other options.

Room Tip: If yu stay here, ask for a room on an upper floor.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Been to Rumor Hotel? Share your experiences!