“New, Modern Hotel Skimps on Service” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Ranked #16 of 272 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Westlake Village
“New, Modern Hotel Skimps on Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2011

Stayed for 5 days during the Consumer Electronics Show. Upon checkin I asked for a room on a high floor--they said the best they could do until the next day was the fifth floor, which didn't make any sense to me.

Two hours later I checked back in and they suddenly had a room on the 25th floor. Upon checking in, found that both bed lamps were burned out, the scale didn't work (no battery) and the shower handle kept on falling off.

Clearly, either the cleaning woman didn't do a once-over or they have no check of the room prior to the next guest.

I called housekeeping and was told I'd be next in line for the service person. After one hour I called and said that as it was midnight I needed to go to sleep. She promised they'd be up in 15 minutes but I declined.

They did have everything fixed the next day but it should have been checked prior to letting a new guest into the room.

Then I received a note that there was a package for me. I called and asked for it and was told it would be up in 20 minutes. After one more hour I called and said I had to leave the room; they promised they'd have it in 15 but I didn't believe them and instead had them hold it for pickup (they normally keep it in a holding room).

Other than that, the room was very nice and the bed very comfortable. While I was on a no-smoking floor, the toilet room always smelled of smoke, most likely coming in through the ventilation system.

The touch screen system is a nice amenity but the screen is not of the highest quality; it often required multiple touches around an icon to get it to respond.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,324)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Hong kong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2011

Great gym. The best gym in a hotel I've seen! It's a full gym basically, not just a few machines in a converted hotel room. Fantastic!
Very high tech rooms...good or bad depending if you are used to using touch screen panels to control EVERYthing! A bit fiddly sometimes for those not tech savvy.

The worst thing was...as soon as you walk into the hotel you are overwhlemed by a sickly sweet smell which made me gag. It was very very strong. Luckily, this was not a problem in the rooms.

Another bad thing: everytime I called concierge I could never get through! I just got a recorded message saying the desk was very busy and unable to take my call, please wait. Annoying!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Edmonton, AB
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2011

My friends and I stayed at the Aria in early January for a girls weekend away and really enjoyed our stay. I have stayed in many hotels and the Aria has the softest, most comfy beds I have EVER experienced in a hotel. I had a little "coccoon" that I would crawl into every night and fall straight away asleep. I found the service to be quite good; we checked in early which meant our rooms weren't ready, so the front desk texted us when they were, which was nicer than having to go back and check from time to time. The bellboy who brought up our bags told us all about the room and showed us all the high tech gadets to control the room. I was also impressed that the pool was heated and open at the beginning of January - though it was a bit cold to swim in the big pool, it was nice to hang out in the hot tub!

The only thing I would complain about is that we were on the ninth floor and we could hear the club in our room at 3am when we were going to bed. I am not sure if it was Haze or the club at the Cosmopoliton, but we could hear the thumping of the music, therefore would definately reccommend that you request a higher floor so that you are not bothered by the music.

Other than that complaint - I found the hotel was very good and would definately reccommend it. The location is great, the service is good, and the pastrys at the small pastry shop are definately worth a trip!

Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2011

My Mom, my brother and my Uncle lives there in 3 separate rooms. When I walk into my Mom’s room it has a strong toilet smell. I check the ventilation and it is working fine. I ask my Mom not to turn off the ventilation when she is out of the room. When I ask my brother and Uncle, their rooms are fine.

The security is tight in the hotel as the entrance to the elevators is next to the casino and a bar. You have to show the room key in order to pass through. Along the wall there is a long sofa that my Mom usually can seat there to wait for us within the secured area so that she can see us approaching. My Mom has forgotten her keys a few times, the security is kind enough to open the doors for her. The sensitivity of the induced door key is not always working. You have to try many times to open the door. Sometimes you have to call security to open the door or to exchange for another one. Both my Mom and my brother have such incidents.

One negative experience in the lobby is that the staff competes the passage way with you. I have experience that, my Mom, my brother and my Uncle all have such experience. I do not expect a 5 star hotel the staff is not trained on this aspect.

The hotel is located in the most newly developed complex including Aria, Mandarin and the Crystals Mall. There is a side door that you can go outside for 15 seconds and enter the mall. The mall is a very high end mall with most of the top end brand names. You can find the latest model here when they are out or just on the magazine.

You can connect this hotel to Bellagio and Crystals Mall via a monorail. The good part is that unlike the other route in Vegas, this one is free of charge.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2011

Don't know what all the haters are griping about. Seemed very 5 star to me, beautiful room with great luxury, fun gadgets with all the electronics, and bed to die for.
[I did get the room on reduced rate from hotwire--which made it all that much sweeter]

Service was GREAT--very attentive

Only tiny complaint (realizing it IS a smoking hotel in vegas) stayed in a non smoking room, I'm pretty sensitive, and I'd give it a "mild" rating on how smokey. However, I'd stay again.
Casino and lobby are more smokey

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
Antioch, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2011

if you are like me and can't stand the smell of cigarrents on all the casinos in Vegas or any other place you go, well this is the hotel for you!!!
it was the cleanest hotel i've been to, and i fell inlove with the decor, its definetly for the modern taste people, if you like the old time fancy decor from say the ceasars you probably won't like ARIA, but if you like clean, slick, and modern this is the best place..

when you open the door, the curtains open on their own, the lights turn on, the tv turns on and music starts playing, and in the tv screen they have your name customized per room, you can regulate curtains and lights from your own tv remote, and its just fun, the staff is very helpful and nice, and its in the middle of the strip its a great place to go!!!

Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2011

I went to the Aria on a special deal right after New Years. It was great value for the money! I had a lovely time... the room was clean and the soaker tub was wonderful. The restaurants and the casino were perfect and the buffet was nice. Of all the restaurants, Lemongrass was probably my favorite. I very much liked Blossom as well... I went there for Dim Sun on Sunday. The Crystal's shopping plaza was a lot of fun. What I really loved, though, was all the penny slots. There's a tremendous variety for small time gamblers like me. :) The only complaint I would have was that the room service was - a touch over energetic. XD They didn't need to coil up the cord for my laptop and cell, lol, although it didn't really hurt anything. All in all I will definitely go back!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo

Been to ARIA Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!