“Excellent Value and great for kids” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Experience Vegas Special
Ranked #34 of 272 Hotels in Las Vegas
wallasey
“Excellent Value and great for kids”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2005

Stayed here for one night in August with my husband and two children aged 9 &11 before flying to New York. It is excellent. Rooms are large (we had two doubles and a sofa area) and very clean, as is the bathroom which houses the iron and ironing board. We had previously spent four nights at the Paris before heading off to explore California and I must say the rooms at the Orleans are much larger but unfortunately do not have the magnificent views of the strip. If you do not mind being off the strip then the Orleans is for you!

When you check in each is adult provided with a booklet offering discounts and freebies to use at the hotel. Such as free bottle of wine when ordering a meal at the Buffet Resteraunt, free games of bowling in their own alley, free drinks at the casino etc. Whilst this is an incentive to keep you at the hotel if you work it right it is a good idea for keeping holiday spending down. The pool is large and clean with plenty of loungers, the hot tub is huge roughly the size of a small swimming pool. The pool bar staff are friendly and it is well run with waitress service around the pool. My boys adored the pool but unfortunately due to a fast approaching thunderstorm the pool was swiftly closed for obvious safety reasons. This then gave us the opportunity to explore the hotel and have a couple of games of bowling. The bowling alley is again well run and has about 78 lanes it wasn't expensive either as we utilised the discount coupons. I thinks it cost us about $20 for two games each including shoe rental.

The hotel also has its own Cinema showing the latest movies and also a kids club for when you need an hours piece from the little darllings. Whilst my children did not use it, it appeared well run and very safe with lots of things for kids upto the age of 12 to do.

Numerous places to eat at reasonable prices, we chose to eat in the buffet and it was plentiful and varied and very good value.

The casino is massive with many slots and gaming tables. Whilst I cant understand the slots I did have lots of fun on the roulette and Blackjack tables.

All in all an excellent place to stay. You will need a car if you wish to explore the strip and you must go in and have look around the other hotels they are amazing with numerous shops and things to do for the non gambler. My children loved Las Vegas the weather, the people, the hotels, the shopping and of course the Bellagio Fountain Show. As a couple or as a family Las Vegas is a great place to explore. The Premium Outlet mall is also worth checking out for some great bargains featuring Nike, FCUK, Reebok, Tommy Hilfiger worth the short drive.

• Stayed August 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (942)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2005

Stayed a night here on Aug 15 and have to say that I was very impressed with this place. Very good value, paid under $50 for the room, hotel staff was very friendly and helpful as well. Rooms were very nice, clean, and comfortable. The pool is very nice, not huge, but laid out very nice in a tropical setting. Had no problems with the shuttle that takes you to the strip. Casino is nice, they have a lot of lower limit tables so it's a very relaxed atmosphere. The bowling alley on the 2nd floor is enormous and just makes this place more attractive. One last thing, the french market buffet is excellent and a very good value, paid $8 for a lunch buffet and was simply amazed at the selection of food. This place really has something for just about anyone.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2005

Since I scoured this site before choosing a hotel in Vegas, I felt the least I could do was submit a review and perhaps help make the next traveller as happy as I was with my choice! If you don't mind staying off the strip but still want to have a great Las Vegas experience, choose this hotel!!!

I've stayed in plenty of hotels (including the Mirage) and I have to say that I thought my room at the Orleans was the NICEST I've ever been in (as well as the least expensive at $60 a night!) VERY spacious, spotless, beautifully decorated, comfortable beds, quiet, secure......it had it all! Since you're not in your room much (or shouldn't be), all the extra niceties that you usually pay for in a really upscale hotel are not really missed (e.g., mini-bar, fridge, etc.). If you really like to pay extra to have your covers turned down every night, then go for it. Otherwise, stay at this exceptional hotel. Using the word "value" somehow cheapens it, as it definitely feels upscale.

The sitting area with the couch and overstuffed chair by the window was a lovely addition. Although I never "sat", it sure gave a "homey" feel when you came back from a long day of shopping & entertainment. One tip is to ask for a room close (but not too close) to the elevators as the less time it takes to either get to the action or back to the solitude of your room is a plus. You can also pay extra for a view, but for me this would have been a waste as I was not in my room much (I overlooked the pool which was fine and didn't hear so much as a splash.)

The casino is HUGE; in fact, I discovered two large areas the last night I was there that I hadn't noticed before. Also, there are lots of different food choices to satisfy everyone. The staff is plentiful and very friendly. I can't tell you how helpful they are because I never had one complaint or problem!

I would have liked to comment on the shuttle service as this was originally one of my concerns. My plan was to utilize their service (runs every 20 minutes), and from their stop at mid-strip, take taxis if needed or use the monorail. Turns out that my daughter was off the week I was there, so I never had to use the shuttle. If you do plan to rent a car, all the hotels make it easy for you to park either using their valets or free self-parking in the garages. The only real problem I saw was that Vegas in general needs to work on better traffic management as the major intersections become completely bogged down where no one can move in any direction. Another tip - avoid travelling during "rush hours", I believe one is around 3 PM and the other around 5 or 6 PM.

How to make The Orleans "Perfect"? A coffeemaker would be nice (borrowed a small one from my daughter); a larger vanity in the bathroom; a door separating the shower area from the sink area; perhaps some better lighting (or a special mirror) for makeup application; a shower massager; a bowed shower curtain. These are all tiny observations -- I haven't been in a hotel which covered 100% of my wish list for the perfect hotel, but The Orleans came very close to it!!!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2005

My wife and I had an amazing time in Las Vegas, and most of that was due to our stay at the Orleans. The food was great (there's enough variety in the 13 restaurants, you'll find something you like), there was plenty of space at the huge pool, gaming tables and video poker/slot machines, that we never felt crowded.

The pace was great for first-timers like us, but we saw many seasoned vets enjoying themselves too, so when we come back to Vegas, we're definately staying here.

The reviewers are right, the rooms are clean and fantastic. The pool is huge (and in the shade until about 11:00)

I also have to point out how helpful the staff was. From the table attendants to the cocktail waitresses to the bar tenders to the food servers, everyone made us feel like a valued guest, and that's more important than anything else.

Tip: Check their web site for movie deals before you go, we entered and won a contest for a sneak preview.

• Stayed July 2005
Syracuse, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2005

We recently stayed for one night at a midweek rate of $49. Room was large, clean, and comfortable, except for the occasional smell of cigarette smoke - great water pressure in the shower! Didn't use any of the facilities or restaurants. Went to strip and out-of town restaurant using our rental car, very easy to do. I don't know if we'd stay here again due to the permeating smell of cigarette smoke almost everywhere you are in the hotel.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2005

This was not my first visit to Las Vegas, but it was my first time to stay at The Orleans. The Orleans will be the only place I will stay on any future visits.

The rooms are "roomy", very clean and pleasant. I especially enjoyed the peace and serenity of my sitting area when I would, from time to time, feel the need to escape the hustle and bustle.

All of the hotel staff was pleasant and quick to accommodate my needs. Being a 70+ year old female, I was delighted to see that no one could approach the elevators without showing a room card. The security was very apparent all over the casino and more than willing to offer assistance.

It would be impossible to not find a meal to your liking. There were six grandchildren in my group, ranging in age from six to 15, and they always found something they liked and wanted. The variety of eateries is fanastic!

We rented a car and I would advise the same. Even though there were some days when we didn't use it, it was a convenience and the valet parking was great although many times there were parking places very near the entrance.

I would never stay on the strip again and as I said in the beginning, will only consider The Orleans!

San Antonio, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2005

My wife and I (both in our early 30s) stayed at the Orleans during our very first trip to Vegas in August 2002. The hotel room was very nice and extremely spacious. We paid approximately $59/night which I think was an outstanding price given the quality of the hotel. The bowling alley and movie theater were great touches that helped make our first Vegas experience fun. However, like most first time visitors we wanted to spend a lot of time on the strip and this is difficult to do from the Orleans UNLESS you rent a car. On subsequent trips we rented a car and found it a MUST for enjoying Vegas (even if you are staying on the strip). After all, we go during the Summer months and most compact rental cars run only about $17/day.

The only other downside to the Orleans is the Buffet. I'm the first to admit that things may have changed since we visited three years ago. At that time, we saw good reviews of the buffet and figured that we should try it since the price was great. All in all I found the food to be barely mediocre at best (and I'm not that picky). My advice is to pay more and go to one of the downtown buffets (Golden Nugget or Main Street) or hit of the more expensive ones buffets on the strip (like Alladin or the Flamingo). Better yet, visit the resturant at Ellis Island for the $4.99 24hour a day steak special!

In summary, this is a GREAT inexpensive yet very nice hotel located off of the Vegas strip. If you're on a fairly tight budge this may be the best place for you. But remember, RENT A CAR and be wary of the buffet!!

• Stayed August 2002

Been to The Orleans Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!