“Good hotel just needs an update...” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #38 of 269 Hotels in Las Vegas
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersGold level
Isle of Wight
“Good hotel just needs an update...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

This was my first visit to Vegas with my friend and my partner.
My partner and I booked ahead and got a good deal on a Spa Suite which we upgraded for a reasonable price upon arrival.

While this hotel was a good deal for us, I did feel it was unfair that my friend was charged extra to upgrade her room just to have a non-smoking room; if you have booked and requested something specific ahead, it should be either reserved for you or the upgrade provided at no extra charge (particularly as the upgrade did not provide her with any extra amenities/ services). Most hotels will not charge you for this!

That being said, my partner and I had a good experience for the rate we paid. Our suite was spacious, clean and comfortable. A couple of the amenities did not work initially, though this was addressed and rectified promptly- the staff were very polite and efficient on the whole.

The croupiers were good at the casino, particularly Sam and Winston. However the waitresses were not very efficient and one waitress we found to be extremely rude; trying to justify the no show of our drinks by claiming we had 'moved tables' (we had been at the same table since we got in the casino). When we pointed this out, her response: 'hmm'.

The location is good, while not in the heart of the strip the Monte Carlo next door is great to visit and provides a tram to the main strip.

Overall a good stay. If I return I'd probably stay further into the strip and try another hotel, purely for variety and experience. That being said, a good hotel (just in need of an update).

• Stayed August 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,088)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

I recently stayed at New York, New York for 3 nights, because I've lived in NYC and miss it sometimes. The first room I got, in the Park Avenue Tower, had an adjoining door. That's my worst nightmare in a hotel, but I travel on an extreme budget and don't have much choice sometimes. I could hear the guy in the adjacent room talking loudly and blasting his tv as soon as I walked in, so I complained and was immediately upgraded to a Madison Ave. Deluxe room at the end of a hall. It was bigger, better and much quieter. I don't like that the standard rooms in many Vegas hotels are crappy and noisy, and they almost force you to pay more for an upgrade if you want peace and quiet, so I'm grateful that they upgraded me for free. The roller coaster was close to my room, but that didn't bother me at all. It was just some background sounds during the day, and it stopped around midnight every night. The room was conservatively decorated, with basic amenities, 2 queen beds, a large flat screen tv, an average sized bathroom with marble floors and a tub. It was the largest hotel room I've stayed in in Vegas. I heard a woman talking early in the morning once, but I'm not sure whether it was coming from the hallway or the adjacent room. For the most part it was quiet, especially for the price and for being right on the strip. The staff were polite and responsive. The resort fee was $20 a day, which includes wifi, local and 800 calls, fitness center access and newspapers. I think resort fees are basically a scam, but every hotel in Vegas charges one now. Why can't they at least add the resort fee to price of the room, instead of hiding it in small print and making you pay it separately? The casino is very attractive, like a mini replica of Manhattan, with New York inspired food, a Coney Island themed arcade, shiny black floors, high ceilings and multi-colored lights. It was a little confusing to find my way around the casino, because it's so large and there aren't many signs. I generally have a bad sense of direction, which didn't help. The location is good, close to many upscale casinos in the south strip. The pool and Jacuzzi weren't impressive, just average. They're building a walkway in front of the hotel, with a replica of the Brooklyn Bridge. For the price you can't do much better in Vegas. A room in a hotel this nice in the real New York would cost at least 5 times more. I recommend NY NY as long as you stay in an upgraded room.

Room Tip: Stay in an upgraded room.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Greater Newcastle, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

Excellent huge clean tidy rooms, great family atmosphere - very family friendly. Great value for money with easy access to other hotels. Only problem left necklace on bench and now can not be found apart from this would recommend staying here

Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

My sister was celebrating her 30th birthday in Las Vegas with her hubby and it was her first trip there. I wanted to do a little something extra to kick off her long weekend there. I decided to send 30 balloons as a surpise when she walked in the room. Called the local grocery store Vons only to discover that the location closest to the hotel didn't deliver balloons. Upon calling the concierge at New York New York to see if they could pick them up, I learned from Adam Dwiggins that they had balloons already on hand in various colors in latex and mylar options as well. At the same cost as Vons to boot!!! I spoke to Adam 4 times within about 2 hours and he was extremely courteous, patient and had a great sense of humor as I requested all the details I was hoping for in this small surprise, which included balloon colors and arrangement, tying the balloons down with candy, getting the balloons in the room before they arrived and finally the birthday note. Everything was carried out perfectly and my sister was so thrilled when she walked in!!! She had a fantastic first trip to Vegas and I can thank Adam for helping me coordinate her first memory of a special weekend. You can hear in someone's voice when they get irritated at request after request after request but I truely felt like Adam cared and was delighted to help with the details. I walked away totally impressed by the whole experience and how easy he made it for me!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Lexington, Kentucky, Usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Always enjoy Vegas, and 'New York, New York' really made our stay really even more enjoyable. Maybe I'll win more next time...lol. The staff were very friendly and went well above their jobs making us comfortable and our stay extra nice. Room service was prompt and the meals very good when we chose to relax and eat in our rooms..

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Jane R, Guest Relations Manager at New York - New York Hotel and Casino, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Thank you sharing your experience at New York New York with us. It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us! Providing great guest service is something that we hold to a very high standard here at our property, so it’s great to hear that this was your experience with our staff! We have passed along your kind words to our In Room Dining team so that the staff can be properly recognized for their efforts. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to welcome you back soon!
Best Regards,
Lauren Dowell
Guest Relations
GuestServices@nynyvegas.com
Newark, Delaware
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

In an effort to be helpful i am going to stick to the facts because i havent seen alot of those types of reviews, most are pretty subjective.

There is a sign by check in that will let you know what time you can start to checkin early without a fee. We checked in at 2pm, no charge. We were only in line for about 10 minutes, very nice informative staff. We had a small issue with them not having our strip view upgrade on file, they were going to provide it without any evidence from me, but once i provided the email not only did they provide it, they didnt charge us for it. We stayed in century a. Very clean room, and i gave it a thorough once over. We faced the strip, based on the hotel location the strip view is trop, mgm, excalibur, and the shops next to mgm, staff at check in was very upfront about what the view included. If you are very quiet and have the vents to the outside open you can hear screaming from the roller coaster, but you dont normally notice it.

Casino is clean, its a bit dark but that seems to be more for atmosphere and so you can appreciate all of the neon lights. Piano bar was alot of fun. If you sit on the outside of the bar by the video poker, you can experience it without having to pay a cover. Pour 24 has a great selection of beers and is open 24 hrs a day. We ate at American (not great, but not horrible), chin chin (good sushi, general tso is a bit salty), and Gonzales y Gonzales (fantastic food & drinks i recommend the crab guacamole they make it fresh at the table). There is always something to do in and around the casino from coyote ugly, to nine fine irishmen, the roller coaster and the arcade, so you can spend days never leaving the property and always be entertained.

Check out was a breeze, they sent us an email and all i had to do to review the bill and check out was click the link provided. The bell hop desk is where you can leave your luggage while waiting to check in/out (there arent any signs, its to the left of check in next to the concierge). There isnt a buffet, but if you take the overpass its less than 5 minutes to mgm's. The pool is very small, and it faces a parking garage. So if youre planning to spend most of your trip in the pool and the room, go somewhere else. But if you want a place where there is always something to do without having to wander all over the strip constantly, stay here.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Sylmar, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

During our stay the weather wasn't agreeable, but still managed to go to the pool for a few hours. Pool with DJ playing music is great. Drinks were reasonable and priced okay.

Gonzalez y Gonzalez food is great. Go Friday or Saturday night for dancing. Pool gets packed when sunny, arrive early in the day to get a chair.

I recommend Pour 24 and NY pizza.

Rooms were not cleaned during the day, but I'm sure it was an oversight.

Hotel is close to many great spots, nearby you can go eat and drink without needing a taxi.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Been to New York - New York Hotel and Casino? Share your experiences!