“lovely hotel” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Offaly
“lovely hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

stayed here for 4 night in November 2013. lovely hotel reception is huge and so is hotel the first night my friend and i were walking for 3-4 minutes and were still outside it then we found the other exits the hotel had. the casino is massive but it is vegas we never ate in the hotel but a few of the bars were nice rooms were massive and clean and cosy. overall enjoyed my stay and prob would go back here if i wnet back to vegas

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
MGMGuestExperience, Manager at MGM Grand Hotel and Casino, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Dear Mark K:

It has been a pleasure to serve you during your recent visit to Las Vegas. It sounds like you had fun exploring our impressive facility, as well as enjoying our accommodations and bars. There is always something exciting to see and do at MGM Grand. We look forward to your return.

MGM Grand - Las Vegas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,693)
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

We (couple in our late twenties) stayed at the MGM Grand from Jan 1st to 5th in the grand king room on the 26th floor. Excellent value for money. The room was spacious, clean with wonderful decor. The hotel location is great. Only reason we don't give this a five star rating, is the slow internet and absence of a coffee maker! A faster internet option was available for a cost, but we really expected with a resort fee of close to $30 per night we'd get those amenities. Maybe it's the same with all hotels on the strip.. but none the less thought we'd mention it. Other than that, as we said.. excellent stay in a wonderful hotel, would stop there again on our next trip.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
MGMGuestExperience, Manager at MGM Grand Hotel and Casino, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Dear LeoEkPal:

For exceptional service, exciting attractions, and breath-taking entertainment, MGM Grand provides the finest Las Vegas resort destination experience, all at a great value. Our rooms and suites are also newly updated for style, comfort, and plush luxury. Thank you for sharing your insights and enthusiasm.

Thank you for making us aware of the complications you encountered with the in-room amenities and internet. We take guest feedback very seriously, because your complete satisfaction is our mission. We look forward to serving you again.

Boston
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

Reserved a Penthouse City View Suite 6 months in advance for a special occasion after having spoken with both the MGM Grand suite reservations line and MLife to try to make sure things went smoothly.

I know that no reservation is ever 100% guaranteed, but I arrived this morning to find that I had been downgraded at least two levels. This wasn't even a comped booking, but full boat booked on the MLife web site.

On the positive side, I feel the front desk associate did everything she could to provide a solution, but I don't think she was getting much help from her so called superiors. And all of the other staff I've dealt with in person have been fine.

TV and internet have been spotty. After signing for front money, it took 15 mins to get a slot voucher.

The worst thing is really feeling hung out to dry, because all of the other MGM properties are now also booked up and it's not possible to find an equivalent room.

Not the end of the world by any means, but I don't think I'm taking a chance here again. Everything that could go wrong went wrong.

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Dear Swearingen:

Our staff desired nothing more than to fulfill your room type request during your stay. However, while meeting every preference is of absolute importance, our efforts are sometimes hampered by unexpected stayovers and the strictures of prevailing room inventory. This is not meant as an excuse, but rather clarification of the challenges which occasionally prevent us from turning predilections into reality. We humbly apologize if this impacted your stay in an adverse manner. We further regret the service delays you encountered in our casino, as well as the internet functionality complications you endured.

Rest assured we will learn from this experience, and use it to improve upon the culture of service we nurture here on property. Hopefully, this incident will not discourage you from considering MGM Grand as your travel destination in the future.

Pueblo, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

The MGM Grand is SPECTACULAR! Upscale, gorgeous, beautiful, classy and it smells soooooo good the minute you set foot in the hotel/casino. Loved everything about it and there is so much to see and do and great restaurants as well. A great place to be especially during the National Finals Rodeo!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear TurquoiseRoses:

When you visit MGM Grand, prepare for a spectacular time! High profile entertainment, lavish amenities, and devoted customer service make a stay here, truly unforgettable. We appreciate your comments, and can’t wait to serve you again soon.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

A nice hotel to stay in, stayed here one night. Polite customer service. Location is a bit to the end of the strip but closer to the airport. Looks like the place has see better days as the hotel interiors seem a bit dated and the smoke has stuck to the carpets. We had some fab views of Downtown New York so that was nice. Overall a good stay.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Dear PavRao:

We are happy to know that overall, you enjoyed your time with us at MGM Grand. Recent upgrades in décor and furnishings have helped make our rooms and suites quite popular. We therefore deeply regret the maintenance issues you encountered with your particular accommodations. Rest assured we take the upkeep and cleanliness of our facility very seriously, so any shortfalls will be addressed in a timely manner.

At MGM Grand, we strive to provide our guests with the premier resort destination by offering attentive customer service, as well as the finest resort amenities available. We value your insights and your patronage, and look forward to your return.

St. Petersburg, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

Ok, to be fair this is my first stay in one of the "Main" casino hotels on the Strip in Las Vegas, so I have nothing to compare to as far as the other choices but my stay there was terrible based on the money spent. I booked this as a package deal and was presented the West Wing option as a discounted part of the hotel. Well there is a reason it is discounted, it's crap! It is an un-improved section of the MGM Grand that appears to still be the original decor from the early 90's when the hotel first opened. Outdated & stained carpet, cold as a meat locker (was 40 outside at night, was barely 50 inside in the hallways and I was on the 9th floor), very outdated & barely functional bathroom fixtures(shower head barely worked, facet blasted water out and shot out of the sink). Cleanliness was horrible, I drop some change on the floor with rolled partly under one of the night stands and when I went down to recover I saw a whole forest of Dust Rabbits, not bunnys Rabbits!!! You could have choked an industrial vacuum with the amount of grunge under that stand. So being grossed out I called to switch rooms and that wasn't happening due to it being during the Consumer Electronics Show and they were booked so I was stuck.

I should have known when I arrived things would go bad...I had booked my trip at the end of November for a January 7-10th trip, so one would assume my room, guaranteed with a pre-paid package would be there waiting for me, NOPE! I get there and they has no king rooms, they have queen rooms but smoking only! How can I book a room 2 months in advance, pre-pay and it not be sitting ready for me??? That sounds fishy at best...Eventually I was put in a handicap King, non-smoking room, but heaven help the disabled person that ever has to stay in that room. The disabled shower leaks all over due to bad design, so unless you put towels down to soak up all the water the bathroom becomes a lake. The separate hand sprayer for someone who can get into or use the main shower didn't even work. And because the shower was setup so badly you froze every time you took a shower because of the draft and the fact that the hotel was freezing. The direct TV went out all the time, the TV in the bathroom didn't work at all, half the light were burnt out, the giant glass sliding door to the bathroom wouldn't close and made this horrible glass scrapping on metal sound when you did try to close or open it....

I could go on an on. It isn't like its the worst hotel I have ever stayed at but it is by far an away the most expensive for the least amount of value EVER. I guess during such a large event as CES the hotels have supply and demand on their side, but it is no excuse for a "resort" hotel having such awful conditions year round. I do hope this is not the standard for the large hotels in Las Vegas, very disappointing.

Room Tip: Do not opt for the West Wing, it is not a value just plain cheap and dirty. And bring warm clothes i...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear Mike T:

Thank you for sharing your concerns. Many of our guests prefer our West Tower rooms for their close proximity to the Strip and non-traditional layout. It is clear, however, that any such positive impressions of these accommodations were hampered by the maintenance and cleanliness issues that occurred during your recent visit. No room would be comfortable in such a condition, and we apologize.

At MGM Grand, we strive to provide exceptional experiences throughout all aspects of the guest stay. Please know we will aggressively address the challenges you mentioned. We value your business, and hope for the chance to better serve you in the future.

Saint John, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

Boy, where do I start...

I stayed there for two nights. Now, it was during the time of a massive electronics convention so I expected the casino to be extremely busy and normally I would cut the staff some slack because of it, but the issues I experienced had nothing to do with the amount of guests as it did lack of caring/training of the hotel staff.

Bellhops: When myself (a petite female) and my 12 year old son arrived via cab we had a fair amount of luggage (6 pieces) We got out of the cab and was there a bellhop to help? Nope. Now there were several bellhops available, but they seemed to be more interested in standing on their little island and chatting then actually helping the guests with their luggage. Even upon leaving I was looking for my limo and asked one of the bellhops if they'd seen a black stretch and all they did was point to an area where a number of limos were sitting. They didn't even smile or tell me to have a safe trip home. Nothing. Bad, bad, bad service.

Registration: Check-in was fast and seamless. The staff at the registration counter were pleasant and offered a bellhop to help which I refused out of spite. I explained if the bellhops couldn't end their conversations with each other while outside then I'm not interested in their assistance now.

Room Service: Excellent. The food was good, attendant who delivered it pleasant and it was on time. No issues there.

Business Center: The business center is an absolute joke, it's a desk where they crammed four staff who are falling over each other and can't find a thing because there is no room to be properly organized. Whomever does the staffing at the business center needs to take a serious look at how the center functions. The only person (of 3 - 4) I saw do any work over the several times I used this service was the severally overworked postal worker. The others who I assume were in charge of faxing and... Not sure... maybe if I'd seen them do something other than stand around I'd know better. I did overhear one joke they got paid to stand around looking pretty. Maybe they should be trained to do actual work? Like help the poor postal worker who was always lined up while they watched her work? For a hotel of this caliber, the business center - which I believe does have all a person needs but is just badly managed - is a serious joke in it's current state.

Room: Not as clean as it should have been and in serious need of an upgrade. Everything about the room screamed economy motel, not luxury hotel. I don't so much thing its a lack of cleaning, I think the maids clean it as well as possible, but everything in the room was worn and old. Not impressed.

Floor staff: Another serious joke. In a hotel this size, floor staff is so important to help guests get to where they need to go. The hotel can be seriously confusing to find your way through. But could I get any help? Nope. The staff I saw were doing one of three things: 1) playing on their cell phones. 2) In a group chatting it up with each other (seems to be a major theme with the staff at this hotel.) 3) Avoiding eye contact and making a great effort to avoid having to interact with guests.

Overall, I was not impressed and will never return. With the amount of beautiful, full service hotels on the strip a hotel is expected to provide stellar customer service. This one didn't even provide decent. With the exception of the good service from the registration staff, room service staff and the poor overworked postal woman, who I gave a good tip to because I felt so bloody bad for her, the hotel in general was underwhelming.

My suggestion: I'd suggest a serious look at the staff and proper training. Something is seriously wrong with management and training if the staff is so slack. It's not a matter of lack of staff, it's a matter of having a staff that doesn't care about their guests. Perhaps they should send their staff to the Mirage hotel down the strip. The staff at the Mirage is top notch and will go out of their way to ensure the guests are happy. Everyone from the bellhops to the room service people are top notch there. So needless to say, as the title of this post states.. While the MGM was a decent hotel, there are too many others on the strip that are much better in terms of customer service for a comparable rate.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear CLB1977:

Candid insight like yours helps us evaluate guest perception. Clearly, your experiences did not leave you with the positive impressions and satisfaction we had hoped to achieve. Please allow us to extend our multiple apologies for the service shortfalls you encountered during your stay. While you did experience some pleasant and attentive staff interactions, we most definitely did not meet and exceed your expectations.

We are grateful you brought these concerns to our attention. We consider guest feedback critical to maintaining high standards of service, and will promptly address the issues you mentioned. We value your comments, and hope for the opportunity to better serve you in the future.

MGM Grand – Las Vegas

Been to MGM Grand Hotel and Casino? Share your experiences!