“Fun time in Vegas” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Madison, Wisconsin
“Fun time in Vegas”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Great place to stay in Vegas as long as you know that this is the center of entertainment for the city, making it more expensive than other ones right near it. Very crowded and lots of people... and HUGE. If you like smaller quieter places, I wouldn't recommend this place but hey, you're in Vegas so you should go big - this is the place to go to right on the strip. Very clean rooms! But not a place to go in the lobby if you want completely smoke-free.

Room Tip: Breakfast is not included. The rooms were very neat.
Green Features: Not what I would consider environmentally-friendly at all.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,355)
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Excellent facility! Excellent everything! Location, staff, food, amenities - everything! They say you get what you pay for and in this hotel, that is certainly the case!

I booked The Penthouse City View Suite and was blown away when I walked into the room! My view was amazing, my room lavish and every attention to detail had been anticipated by the staff.

The location made it possible to enjoy The Strip and quickly get back to the room to get ready for concerts and shows. Although I didn't attend any shows hosted at MGM (my engagements were previously scheduled with exception of one night) they did have great talent. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a quality Vegas experience.

• Stayed May 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Being that we live in Las Vegas, I would have thought we would have been treated better! The hotel staff were not helpful at all, and the room was very poor! When one of the Reception clertks tried to comp us a refridgerator for the room, it took a day, and a lot of fussing. I wouldn't to a staycation with them ever again!

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

I went to the MGM grand for my 21st birthday and I felt like royalty.
From when you walk in you feel like a super star, as soon as we got there we up graded to super kings. Well worth it. Room was clean, flat screen telly. In draw safe.

Ate at the MGM grand buffet a couple of times. It's pricey, and they don't change the food that much so can get samey.

Casino floor is packed with loads of different games and slots. If you win be careful not to feed it all back in thinking your double your money, as it doesn't normally happen. Drinks are pretty much free, give them a dollar tip and that's it as along as your playing a game.

M life card - if your going to play alot get one its worth it me and my partner didn't think we would spend that much but the day of the check out we went to the players club stand. Upgrade was for free, wiped our room service charges and also $20 free play !!! And m life cards can be used in serval different hotels.

Helicopter over the Grand Canyon well worth every penny,
We picked one where we landed inside the canyon and had a picnic AMAZING !

Go shopping to the outlets and be prepared for hunting for those bargains they are there just need hunting out.

Vegas is an amazing place. And so hard to fit in everything you want to do.

Red bus tour at night is brilliant.
Also take a trip in to old Vegas it's a nice history trip to see where it all started.

Use the Duce buses.
Watch the Belligo fountains !
Just watch your bags, as there's massive crowds.

Watch a cirque du soeil ! Go to a tic for tonight stand they are every where !! Cheap cheap tickets.

MGM and all their staff are friendly and helpful, and I'm going back in two years time (start saving)

Hope this helps you chose a hotel !!

• Stayed February 2013
Vancouver
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

My husband and I traveled to Las Vegas for a long weekend in February 2013. We took advantage of an online deal with flight, hotel and show tickets to KA included.

There are so many different aspects to the hotel that I have broken them down into categories.

Staff: The first encounter we had was will bellmen "helping" us out of the taxi. It was so very obvious, and uncomfortable, that the bellmen wanted a tip for taking one bag out of the trunk as my husband took the other two. He gave us a decisive sneer when we said we could manage our own bags into the hotel. The concierge staff were OK, yet understaffed. We were going on a tour that was meant to pick us up in the "West Tour Lobby". From walking around we could not find any sign that pointed us towards this so that is when we throught to ask the concierge. We walked by and the line was no less than 20 people deep so I thought I would call the next morning. After waiting on hold for 15 minutes I just decided to go down to speak to them in person. I waited in line 30 minutes and by the time I got to speak to someone we only had 5 minutes until our tour was meant to pick us up! We had to sprint through the casino to a place that we NEVER would have found unless we had a map- a map that should have been given to us upon check in...

Check in: We arrived at the hotel around 2:00 PM on Sunday. We got to the front of the check in line about 15 minutes later. The desk clerk checked his computer and quickly told us the King room we booked was not ready... really? Out of 5000 rooms there was not 1 King room? OK... The desk clerk was not concerned that we had been travelling all day as he made no extra effort to find us a room. As soon as I mentioned paying for an upgrade to a room that was ready, it was like a bolt of lightening went through him. He made two phone calls and spoke to two different people about this upgrade as the clean rooms had not been released into the system yet. It turns out the upgrade to the hypo allergenic room was not available either. We were turned away to come back "in awhile" to see if our room was ready, wondering why more effort wasn't made to find our original room? We could either call a phone number (long distance and roaming on our cell phone) or walk all the way back to the lobby to use their house phone. We had to check our luggage with the front desk (another expected tip required) and wandered around for an hour. Came all the way back to the lobby... still no room ready. Gave them another 45 minutes... still no room! By this time it was 4:30 PM and I was at the end of my rope. I demanded a room with whomever I was speaking with on the phone, and guess what? They found one. This was so ridiculous to me that if I would've left the hotel at that moment if we hadn't already pre-paid for the room. The lack of customer care was so apparent and we had only been there for 2 1/2 hours.

Room: Once we got into our room it was nice. Of course it wasn't the view we had requested... because that would've been asking too much... but was comfortable none the less. My major pet peeves was the motion sensored mini bars and the lack of coffee machines in room. I laughed at the threatening note on the mini bar that basically said "if you move it, you bought it" and if you wanted a fridge for your own things you could "rent one for $35 a day". Everything about the MGM required more money from staff to coffee. Starbucks is in the MGM with jacked up prices which is such a shame on the Starbucks name.

"Resort": Of course as we visited in February the pools were closed which was a shame as I love to swim. The MGM is MASSIVE with many over priced, over hyped restaurants. The amount of less expensive food options was dissapointing as it really only consisted of fast food. The thing that almost made me melt down was the $25 per day "resort fee" that was charged to our account for ammenities we did not use (news paper, gym, internet). What a totally insulting cash grab. I almost made a scene when we checked because I had been nickeled and dimed to death, out but just wanted to leave by the end of it.

Ka Cirque du Soleil tickets: As I said earlier these tickets came with our package. This is the one aread where I would've actually liked to spend more money for better tickets as the ones we had were at the very back of the theatre. Of course the answer was "no" when I asked if I could pay more money to updgrade the tickets. The theatre was half empty so there was no reason to not upgrade us. Again, dissapointing customer service.

Casino: Three words, too much smoke!

I think you need to decide what your needs are before booking the MGM. If you can just check in, use the bedroom and not need another thing, then this is the place for you. If you are OK with impersonal service, where you are just a credit card number, this is the place for you. If you are looking for anything else... book a different hotel.

We would NEVER return.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Spalding, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Excellent stay here. Upon check in we were informed we had been upgraded to a suite (worth an ask if it's not been done automatically). It was immaculate, amazing view of the strip a truly unforgettable experience. MGM does not have as much character as say the Bellagio or Cesars Palace but it was perfect for me and my friends. It was more of a younger partying hotel and the Wet Republic was a lot of fun! Don't be afraid of people wanting to get you on their guest list...it means free entry to the best clubs and free drinks...makes Vegas a whole lot cheaper!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Saskatoon, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We had about a half an hour wait to check in, but the staff was very friendly and helpful. It is such a big place, I was worried that we wouldn't find our room. They gave us a map and explained it very clearly, it was a breeze!!
The concierge was also very helpful. Through her, we arranged an evening helicopter flight over Las Vegas. She looked after every detail for us.
The housekeeping staff was amazing, they even lined up our shoes every day in a perfect line!!
I would have to agree with another reviewer that the scent was very strong, it could be toned down.
The pool areas were wonderful, and enjoyed sitting out by them daily!
One thing that this hotel is needing is a coffee maker in the rooms. I do like to have a cup in my room BEFORE I have to get dressed to go down and buy one.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to MGM Grand Hotel and Casino? Share your experiences!