“Very nice but lacking the WOW factor I was expecting.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #43 of 269 Hotels in Las Vegas
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersGold level
Sacramento, California
“Very nice but lacking the WOW factor I was expecting.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

I stayed here as a solo traveler for business one night this past week. This was the third trip to Vegas and second time on the strip, my first stay was at Circus Circus, which I considered decent (outstanding for the vacation price Southwest gave me) but this time I wanted to try something nicer. Everything was very nice, I checked in around 7 pm so the line was short, very friendly staff and I'm including everyone that I dealt with not just the front desk employees. For me, finding my room on the 9th floor of the West Wing was difficult and I'm not above using my map or asking for help. I must have looked like I knew where I was going because four or five other people asked me for directions, so I would guess this isn't an uncommon complaint. I really liked the fact that you could get to the gym easily, the elevator marked it on the 4th floor but I wasn't able to check it out due to forgetting my teeshirt and I didn't want to spend 30 bucks on a shirt at the gift shop just to sweat in it. I tried out the buffet, always an awkward experience when eating alone but I couldn't decide on which restaurant in the hotel I wanted to eat at and I regretted the decision. The food was decent and at (what I assume is) the correct warm/cold temp, good price so I'm not complaining but last time I had lunch at the Luxor and I feel like it was much better food and selection. My main complaint is the hotel fee of 24.95, I understand it's for internet and other services and that all the other hotels charge a price as well (this is the most expensive one so far) but then I feel that the internet service should be up to par. In my room, I got two bars it was slow enough that I ended up just using my hotspot from my phone, that's right my 3G connection to my tablet was faster than the 24.95 I paid for, basically, internet at the hotel. The next morning I figured I would just go to the Starbucks to use the WiFi there and yet again, no service. This time I was able to pick up on another hotels connection and it was stronger than the hotel's that I was actually staying at. Problem, oh heck yes.

The main question, would I stay here again? Answer yes, if the price was right I would, I don't have that many complaints about it but I am planning my next trip to Vegas and I am certainly finding a different hotel for this next stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,687)
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Yarm, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

This was my first visit to Vegas and as soon as i entered the MGM i was impressed. After walking around alot of other hotels i also realised how "homely" the MGM felt. We were in a newly refurbished room which was perfect. The best bed ive ever slept in, and although the green light from the outside shone into our room we noticed there was an electronic blackout blind which did the job. As a smoker i noticed how clean the casino part was, as everytime i used an ashtray it was unused and even the bins, which have black sand to put stubs out,where constantly cleaned every hour. There is a food court which has a mcdonalds which we found perfect for a late night snack, and the Monorail also stops at this hotel making it the best location on the strip for me. Would recommend to anyone :)

Room Tip: Get a newly refurbished room. The Queen suite was excellent.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Easton, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

The MGM Grand Hotel and Casino is a great place. It's clean, friendly and has wonderful restaurants. I have stayed here many times and have always had a great time. Families also seem to enjoy staying here also.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Jefferson City, Missouri, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

Don't take a room in the West Wing if you can help it. The rooms are very small and dark. There is noise in the early morning in the alley outside the rooms.
The Casino is very good at the MGM. We really enjoyed the Wolfgang Puck restaurant.
The David Copperfield show was also very good. The drink and snacks were overpriced at that show.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Edwardsville, Illinois, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

Great hotel with many food choices (and many price ranges). Newly renovated guest rooms are great with excellent bedding. Of course plenty of slots and table games to choose from. Did not see shows this time, but have seen KA and it is by far one of the best shows we have ever seen. Don't miss it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Inglewood, California, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

Great time in Vegas. This place was fun, fun fun. It represented Vegas nicely. No long lines to check-in, nice efficient staff and very accommodating. Great variety of food and beverage options. I willbe back based upon the staff attitude alone, they were all GREAT!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

We had a great time at the MGM. Our room was beautiful! It was newly renovated the beds were so comfortable! It's the place to stay on the strip! Resturants and entertainment!!! I really suggest seeing Brad Garrett, his comedy club is located downstairs in the MGM. He had us in tears!! Not to mention the other 3 Comics that played that night as well, We throughly enjoyed it!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to MGM Grand Hotel and Casino? Share your experiences!