“Loved this place” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
St. John's, Canada
“Loved this place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I just returned from a wonderful stay at this hotel. From the moment I entered, the staff rushed to offer assistance with anything I needed. I found that everyone’s attitude seemed to be “What can I do to make your stay better?” As a disabled traveler, this was much appreciated. Anything I needed, any question I had, everyone was available to assist. I can’t say enough good about the concierge service. They are wonderful! Housekeeping is superb. The room was spotlessly clean.
The only negative thing was the Arena staff. I attended a concert there and everyone from the box office staff to the Arena staff at the concert were rude and dismissive. I was given incorrect information about accessibility and made to feel like a nuisance when I requested assistance.
Despite this, I wouldn’t hesitate to stay there again. In fact, I don’t see myself staying anywhere else when I visit Vegas again. The hotel is wonderful and the staff are just great.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,061)
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Naples, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Stayed at the MGM Grand in a newly renovated suite. Had a great view, very comfotable room and very spacious. Bathroom was large with walk in shower and whirlpool tub. Other than being at the end of the hallway, away from the elevators, which probably helped to make it quiet, great experience..

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at the MGM Grand for 7 nights at the start of November. Check in was great - really quick and efficient. Tried for an upgrade and was told to beat it! Oh well..... We were in a luxury king which had been renovated. The room was a great size, very clean and modern and the bed was very comfortable.

We used the Starbucks every morning for a cup of tea but although the hotel has lots of restaurants (which looked great), we never ended up eating in any of them as we always wanted to be closer to the main action on the strip so left every night to eat elsewhere.

The location of the MGM is my only gripe with the hotel. With it being at the lower end of the strip, it felt quite far away from the better hotels up at Mirage / Caesar's / Bellagio.

Value for money was excellent but in hindsight I would have paid the additional £100 ish per head and stayed at the Mirage.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I stayed here on my 21st birthday. First we waited in line for about a half hour to check in. The front desk person could tell it was my first time in Vegas and he attempted to screw me out of my suite that I had reserved and paid for 6 months prior to the trip by telling me that it wasn't available and that he was going to bump me down to a small king (The smallest room they have). He claimed that when you reserve a room its only a request but not guaranteed. I stood my ground, called him on his crap and told him that i had reserved a suite and thats what I want. he went to talk to his manager about it for like 5 minutes and then came back and boom!! the room magically became available.
We paid for late check out (3PM) and we checked out of the room and left the hotel at 2:50. The next day I noticed a charge on my credit card for $109, plus my $30 for the late check out. I called there financial services and waited 20 minutes to talk to someone about it. they said the maid staff entered my room at 6 that night and my items were still there. I told them this was obviously incorrect as we weren't even in Las Vegas at 6 and they said to give them 2 weeks to investigate and they will call me. I gave them 3 and had to call back because i never received a call or my money back. During this call, they finally reimbursed me.
I was awarded a half-compensated one night free stay (Even though my original stay was 2 nights). when i returned, i went with my boyfriend (We are a gay couple). The dealers saw that we were together and made several homophobic comments towards us including "That's so wrong" etc. I got yelled at for having my arms around him while he rolled dice (Which is understandable) but the dealer dragged out the lecture on and on which he didn't do to other couples. My boyfriend is chinese and when he didn't roll hard enough one time, the dealers yelled at him and lectured on and on assuming he did not understand english. When the white guy next to us rolled the same way about 15 times, he was only politely told to make sure the dice hit the wall, but did not get a single lecture.
In a nut shell, terrible customer service, the employees obviously dont care if they retain their customers or not. There's many nice hotels on the strip, you do NOT want to stay here

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
munich
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

This hotel has the most comfortable beds ever!!!!!! We stayed in the MGM for 4 nights. Room had a great view on the other hotels and the lansdscape in the back.Hotel is right on the strip, but rooms are very calm. Great stay

Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We have just returned from our stay at MGM Grand, we had the best time. We are three women in mid to late thirties, we wanted a good hotel with lots of amenities and a good location, which is what we got. The hotel is huge, great bars and restaurants as well as fast food outlets. The hotel has a great atmosphere, and although was busy this just added to the experience. Check in was smooth, we did queue, but not for long, staff were helpful and polite. We had a queen suite, which was fantastic, we also got a strip view, which was great. The rooms were clean, large and the décor was great, having just been renovated. The bathroom was a good size and had two showers and a bath. The only very small gripe was the amps, this meant our hair-dryers and straighteners etc were either very slow or did not heat up, however this is not the hotels fault. We had plenty of storage and for three women was brilliant. The hotel is as mentioned enormous, so you can tend to get a bit lost! We ate at the Mexican and food court, both were good, the high end restaurants looked fab too, there are just so many places to eat and drink. We loved the centre fugue bar, excellent atmosphere. The casino is vast, and although we are none smokers we loved the smell of the hotel, i'm not sure what they pump in, but it smelt great and we did not have a problem with smokers at all! The bridge from the MGM to the New York New York hotel was a real bonus and made it easy to visit lots of bars etc on the first night.

There was lots of drinking going on, but hey it's vegas, and we didn't see any trouble at the hotel, there were some families staying, however on a personal note i don't think any hotel in vegas is really an appropriate environment for smaller children. The pool area looked great, although it was a little too cold to try it out, although others did. I can imagine in summer the atmosphere at the pools is great.

The hotel had some shops, although we did see more in other hotels, however we may just have missed them? Also it's a shame the nightclub had closed, as i feel in comparison to the other hotels it is lacking, however i am aware they are opening one in the future.

The location was great for us, taxis were easy and cheap to get, so we managed to get everywhere we wanted, although with only three nights you just cant see everything. The cabs are always outside the hotels, so no real waiting around for one. At check out, we did the express checkout, this saves time and the hotel also runs sort of limo vans to the hotel, which you share with others for only 8 dollars each.

In comparison to some of the themed hotels, maybe the MGM didn't quite have the same wow factor, but it had it's own kind of relaxed style which was perfect for us. Overall we would not hesitate to go back to Vegas, and i would not hesitate in booking the MGM Grand again, it was just perfect for us. It also seemed to cater for a very mixed age range, which i think is important.
Whilst in Las Vegas if you get the chance try the helicopter ride to the Grand Canyon and across the strip it really is breathtaking.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor and a strip view, if you offer a tip at check in they upgrade you, it worked f...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

This hotel is over-hyped. First, way too expensive. Second, the service is terrible. Clearly they need more staff. We experienced waits everywhere (45 minutes to check in, 20 mins for a drink, excessively long Starbucks lines). The staff is unfriendly. My room was in the basement of the west tower which was awful. Shower broken, no hair dryer. Lack of shopping s annoying. Many restaurants closed for renovation. Pool and hot tubs close way too early. Choose another hotel on the strip.....

Room Tip: Do not stay in the west tower, especially on the first floor.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to MGM Grand Hotel and Casino? Share your experiences!