“Mostly wonderful” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Vienna, VA
“Mostly wonderful”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2007

We booked the two-bedroom suite (1500 XB) in February, for a mid-July stay (three adults). All in all, we had a really nice time. The suite was spacious, with comfortable beds and luxurious bathrooms. There were two big disappointments though. One is that we did not get the suite that they show on the web site. It shows that one bedroom has two beds, and one has one bed. In our suite, each bedroom had one bed. The desk clerk was not very concerned and told us that it was the only one available. They did offer a rollaway bed and $100 credit. The second big disappointment was that two weeks before arrival, the hotel told me that there are no CD players, but there are ipod docking stations. As it turned out, the suite did have a CD player (but of course I didn’t bring any CDs with me) and the ipod “station” requires you to have your cord to plug between it and your ipod. The weirdest thing was that all of the light bulbs were unscrewed, so it took us a long time to get any lamps to turn on. I suppose that was the work of pranksters who had the room before us? Check-in went great. Thursday at 3:15 pm and we were checked in within 10 minutes. Watch the check-out though, especially on a Sunday. It’s very hard to get a down elevator with your luggage. Allow yourself at least 20 minutes to retrieve your luggage at the bell-stand if you store it after check-out. We got to the pool at 8:30 or 9:00 am and got excellent seats. The lazy river was practically empty at that time. By 11 it was packed though. We brought our own inner tubes and the folks at the rental shop inflated them for us. The mix bar on the top of THEhotel is amazing. We got there around 7:30pm and had a few drinks (go for the pink goose!). At 10 pm it becomes bottle service only, so that’s when we left. The views of the strip are gorgeous—it was fascinating to watch evening turn into night and see all of the neon lights get brighter and brighter. The casino was nice, with slot machines starting at 1-cent and on up to several dollars. It wasn’t very smoky and seemed really crowded only on Saturday night (after a big boxing match). We went to the Bayside Buffet and enjoyed that a lot. We got there at 5:30 pm, no lines at all, but when we left at 7:30 there was a fairly long line. There is a McDonald’s across the strip, which we went to for quick breakfasts. You can walk through the Four Seasons on the way there or back. The flower arrangements in that hotel are stunning. I would definitely stay at Mandalay Bay again. If you really need to have two separate beds in the one bedroom, call a few days before you leave to request that.

• Liked — Spacious suite with two separate bedrooms
  • Disliked — No refrigerator except mini-bar
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,086)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ohio, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2007

My four kids age range 2-13 loved the pool area. Great location.....

• Liked — lazy river for all ages,,,,kids over 48 inches loved the wave pool.
  • Disliked — long check in lines
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
las Vegas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2007

The Valet parking addendent was the rudist person I have ever met, when we were arriving to check in, Our stay was only for one night, we went mainly for the Pool for the Children.The Pool area is great, apart from the Loud Music that plays all day , I dont mind Music but when its full blast its a bit much. Cabanas are the most exspensive I have every come accross in Vegas , and the smallest . Its a busy Pool, and beware if you have small Children under 48" they cant use the Wave Pool, We saw lots of small children in tears being chucked out !!! . Not sure if the Life Guards are there for Life Guards Duties or Trying to get into Bay Watch !!.The rooms are nice, but it took 3 calls to get turndown service, a bit late arriving at 10pm !!

• Liked — Comfortable beds
  • Disliked — LOud Music in Pool Area
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2007

I was one of the 07/07/07 Brides in Vegas. I was super excited to book a suite at Mandalay Bay since they just did their renovations. The week was extremely chaotic and I wanted the largest suite so my wedding party and I could get ready there. I booked the 2 bedroom 1500 sq ft suite. To my disappointment, they overbooked the room (of course!) and would not give me the room eventhough they were available b/c it was only two people sleeping there. They said usually families book the room and would not give it to me. I wanted to get all bridezilla on them, but I didn't. They put me in the Mandalay Bay Suite, which was smaller and refunded me $50/night (whoptee do). Anyway, the did put me on the 60th floor which was cool. My BIGGEST disappointment... The carpet was TRASHED.... so much that when my girls walked on the carpet it left little holes from their heels that didn't go away for hours... Otherwise, not a bad little suite. I was extremely turned off that they wouldn't give me the suite I booked (and paid a deposit for), but I was tired and had other things to worry about. They toiletries were very high quality and I enjoyed them. The master bed was comfy and the room was great. Still the old style TV's, but who cares about the TV when you're getting married. The masterbath had a shower stall, and whirlpool tub, dual sinks, and a separate room for the toilet. Plenty of room there. The living room was great with a couch, love seat, chair and a bar with bar stools. The bar had a small sink and small fridge. One major problem I had with quality of room was 4 (yes, not exaggerating) lightbulbs were out in the suite. I called maintenance and they responded quickly and replaced them upon request. The 2nd night there another one blew out when I turned on the lamp... I ordered room service for dinner the first night and breakfast the day I checked out. The food presentation was wonderful both times. The one time they did not include napkins which was fine, but they should provide in the future for most guests. The did offer turn down service both nights. The first night I was already in bed (I went to bed very early), and the maid still asked eventhough I was IN bed. ? The second night was after the wedding and they had laid out our bathrobes and slippers, left a flower and godiva chocolates on our pillows. Very nice service indeed. We also got a chance to visit the pool which was VERY BUSY, and crowded. But very refreshing. Overall, I wish I would have gotten my upgraded suite that I booked (in February, nonetheless), a better discount for a shabby looking carpet, but the room service and maid service were superb in my opinion.

• Liked — Room Service, Turn-down service, Maid Service, Pool (minus crowds)
  • Disliked — Not getting the upgraded room reserved, Shabby carpet in room (I would be embarassed), Crowed Pools
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Brussels, Belgium
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2007

I met a friend in Vegas for the weekend in the middle of a business trip. We have been there 7 times and have stayed all along the strip. We have always heard great things about this hotel, but were very disappointed. First I should clarify that we reserved a newly refurbished room and the beds were excellent! The bathrooms were clean but the tub showed a lot of wear and the towels were rough and stained. Check in was nearly a disaster. I came in at 7:00pm on a Friday. After a long wait, a front desk assistant started my check in process and then left me there while the guy next to her managed to checked in 4 other parties. She never came back to tell me the problem but I could see her just standing there like she was waiting for something. Finally she came back and said she had my room. I was supposed to get some free coupons with the room, but I had to ask for them. No bell man helped me with my bags which was a first for me in Vegas, so I had been dragging them around in my suit and heels after a very long day. I dragged my 2 wheeled bags down a very long carpeted corridor until I reached my room - I opened the door to find it scattered with empty beer bottles and a total mess. So I was not very happy when I dragged my luggage all the way back to reception. The good news is they gave me a $150 credit (after I demanded it). I then dragged my luggage to another room which was acceptable. The next morning I went to the pool at 10:45. There were absolutely zero chairs available!! I had to beg one off another party and it was not a lounge chair - it was a little upright chair so I couldn't lay on my stomach at all. For all the money we spent for that room, I was disappointed and will never stay there again.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Portland, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2007

Spent four nights at Mandalay bay over July 4th. What a GREAT place!! I had never been to Vegas before and felt a little trepidation since am not big gambler or big spender. This hotel was wonderful. You may have read about the heat wave-116+ degrees when we were there...but who cared with the wonderful pools. Yes, there were some kids but there was plenty of room (and shade) and we loved the wave pool. Ate at the Red Square-- don't miss it-- such fun and also loved going over to THE Hotel- the MIX was a great place to eat and we loved the BATHHOUSE.

I swam so much I got swimmer's ear!! The SHARK reef was great too-- well worth the money-- much better than we expected.

Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2007

I stayed at the Mandalay Bay while attending a meeting, so didn't sample all the hotel had to offer. However, I was pretty impressed by what I did experience.

Arriving well before the designated check-in time, I was pleased to learn they had a room available. The desk personnel were polite and efficient, and got me taken care of quickly. The rooms were large, well-equipped, well-maintained and clean.

The food in the hotel was quite good. The fare at the restaurant Aureole was excellent and very creative but also very expensive -- about $100 per person with a couple of drinks but without any wine by the bottle. Aureole also features a "Wine Angel," an attractive young lady who is hoisted vertically to retrieve the bottles of wine ordered from their four-story wine tower. Very silly.

The House of Blues, right in the hotel, is great: casual, quick, good food, and not too expensive.

The Rum Jungle was pretty wild, especially considering I was there earlier in the evening. It appeals to a younger crowd, and I can't image how it is later.

The drawback, of course, is "It's Vegas, baby!" That means tons of temptations to skip a session to pull a handle or throw some dice, to wander the Strip, to do...well, anything but the meeting your company sent you to attend.

Because it's Vegas, all roads lead through a casino. It's virtually impossible to get from one area of the hotel to the other without passing through the "gaming" area, which is of course how they planned it. And the walk from the hotel area to the conference center is quite lengthy. Wear comfy shoes if that's why you're there.

The Mandalay Bay is connected to two adjoining hotels by tram, and it's right on the Strip so it's fairly easy to get to other locations, either on foot or by taxi, if you're of a mind.

Room rates were pretty reasonable, but then that's not where they make their money. I'd stay there again, even if I was paying my own way.

• Liked — Large, well-appointed rooms and the variety of restaurants on site.
  • Disliked — That it's in Vegas; I'm just not a fan of the place.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!