“Good Hotel ... but lots of choice in Vegas !” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Ranked #41 of 272 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersGold level
London, United Kingdom
“Good Hotel ... but lots of choice in Vegas !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2010

just got back from 5 night stay at THE Hotel and we had a great stay. We got a really good room rate for a H suite and bagged a corner room with 3 seperate views of the strip. Room was excellent with everything you expect from a high end hotel. In terms of the reception etc its nice but not spectacular, check in was quick and check out via the TV was easy and remember this place has no casino so its a 5 minute walk to the MB casinoa. My only negatives would be the fact that we didnt get a turn down service in the evening and the pool area was absoloutely packed. whilst i appreciate the fact that August is probarly the busiest month for the pool we paid $100 dollars for two sun beds (as every other bed was taken - and there was hundreds!!) we didnt even get an umbrella to shade us from the blistering sun. when i looked round the huge pool area there was less than 20 umbrellas in the entire, huge, pool area which didnt make any sense to me. the only other issue is the location as The Hotel is at the end of the strip and you have to go through Mandalay Bay, Luxor & Excalibur on your way out and follow the same route on your way back in and after a few days walking the same route twice a day it does become a bit boring. whilst this isnt neccesarily a major problem if you stay more central on the strip, and trust me we have, you can get a more varied trip in and out of your hotel on every occasion. overall and good trip and glad we had good experience at THE Hotel but as the old saying goes " some many hotels in Vegas - so little time"......

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,830)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2010

I stayed at the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas in August 2010. I traveled with family which included a nephew age 10. My nephew really enjoyed the wave pool although it was hard to find a seat. That was the only thing there for someone his age. We purchased the allday buffet pass for $38 on one of the days. The food was just OK. By dinner we were sick of the buffet and opted not to do this again the next day. I thought my room was clean until I pulled back the sheets and found makeup. The maid quickly changed the sheets for me. We also got locked out of the room for a few hours due to the battery in the door dying. The hotel itself was too far down the strip and the tram only took you as far as the Excalibur/MGM for free. I enjoyed staying in the middle of the strip much better the last time. The shops in the hotel were not that great and I didnt want to do any shopping there. Overall, the hotel was decent, but I will not be back there anytime soon.

Bremerton, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2010

We've stayed at Mandalay many times and we're never dissappointed. We go to Vegas several times a year and we try to stay here once a year because our kids love the pool. I like the fact that the casino is huge enough that you don't have to squeeze thru chairs to get to a slot machine. Now some people my not like this cuz they don't want to walk this huge space. I can understand that, it can also turn a person around a little.
Things I like= The casino space, variety of pools, plenty of places to eat at any time of the day, they are always able to get me a room with a view of the strip with no issue, the staff is always great to us and even comped us a few meals because I saw a spot on the bathroom floor, the breakfast buffet is awesome(handmade omelets, waffles etc.) The beds are comfy
What I didn't like= there is only one bank of elevators so if you're coming in/out at a popular time, expect to wait. You can't order food from you sun lounger by the pool you have to fetch it yourself, the place is big so if you don't know yourself around you may get lost, it's not in the middle of the strip so if you want to go clubbin, you're cabbin it or takin the monorail. The rooms, although clean, need to be remodeled.
Our room was comped so we checked in at "invited guest" check in so I can't talk about how there were/weren't lines. Our wifi was also comped but I believe it costs around 14 bucks a day. Thank god they have starbucks in the hotel, fast breakfast. Sharkreef, okay for little ones around 7, but my 12 year old was bored. Good stay, always fun

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
rialto,calif
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2010

both wife and i needed wheel chairs to get around/ finally got them.we are both 76 years old and were charged for a romance kit 32.33 really not needed ,ordered or wanted. bed was short sheeted and second bed looked used. express check out to be sent to our e mail, never did get a copy even after calling. shouldnt had to call. long lines at check in over 30 min for old people. the long check in lines motivated us to use the express check out. never again. will not be back.

San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2010

We stayed at Mandalay Bay for the first time for four nights with my family and my sister's family. We love the amenities. My kids enjoy the lazy river and the wave pool. There are a few drawbacks: the hotel is at the end of the strip. If you want to visit other casinos, it's not that convenience. As far as service, most staff members I encounter were not friendly at all. The food were expensive.

Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2010

If you are comfortable staying in a motel, frequently use the Greyhound bus, and look forward to having your anniversary dinner at the Home Town Buffet, then this is the hotel for you. If you have like high quality service, great food and clean surroundings, then run as fast as you can...

I spend 4-5 months a year on the road with my business, and have vast experience staying in every quality and class of hotel imaginable. This is the first hotel in my 10 years of traveling that I've ever had to call the hotel manager to complain.

Imagine checking into your hotel room and finding used dental floss on the bedside stand - then waiting for 3 hours for another room only to find a large spattering of blood on the bathroom floor. The phone was covered in a thick web of hair from the previous guest, and stains covered the door handles and light switches. Absolutely the most revolting experience I've ever had.

Add in inatentive valet parking staff, long waits for everything (from checking in to catching an elevator to getting a meal), an argumentative front counter person upon check in, and more; I've experienced better service in a 1 or 2 star motel.

Other pains:

1. The pool opens at 8:00 am and closes at 7:00 pm.
2. The cardio room is less equiped than my home gym.
3. The monorail broke down late in the evening and we were stuck at the Lexor.
4. The buffet is not worth your time - horrible selection of fruits and vegetables, quality and food taste was nauseating. Staff are overworked and it takes forever to get help - they didn't even wipe down the table we sat at, even after we asked them to.
5. There is no decent map or guide to the property - when things open and close, where different shops and facilities are, and so on.
6. The property is on the edge of the strip and has little to offer of interest if you want to wander around because the pool closes at 7 pm.
7. The managers bury their head in the sand - and I was lied to and treated like an imbecile - even though I've stayed in hundreds of hotels for thousands of room nights over the last 10 years.
8. I was provided a complimentary meal voucher to make up for our troubles, but it wasn't worth the hassle to receive.
9. Internet was unreasonably expensive; wireless was slow.
10. Do not stay stay four to a room! Rooms with 2 queens are only large enough for 2 people - 1 per bed. If you have children you will go out of your mind - not enough closet space to put the clothes and we had to live out of our suitcase.
11. Pillows about as thin as a pancake.

I'll never stay at this disaster of a place again. If you enjoy camping and roughing it - this is definitely the place for you. If you enjoy quality and service then move on and stay elsewhere.

Bridgnorth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2010

Stayed for the first time at the Mandalay Bay Hotel for two nights with my 10 year old daughter. We had a strip view room on the 29th Floor - and, wow, a great view looking up the Strip day and night. Was impressed with the hotel overall. It is one of the more upmarket ones but is not pretentious (say compared to the Bellagio). It's family friendly and laid back but classy. Found all the staff from the porters and bell boys, reception,etc, friendly and helpful. The casino is well lit rather than the dark mazes found in some other Vegas hotels. We had a hire car with Dollar and dropped the keys off at the hotel no problem, the Dollar desk being inside very near the main entrance. We treated ourselves to a cabana for a day of chilling at the pool - booked in advance from the UK. Had one on the island in the lazy river - from what I could see, these looked to be the most private in the pool complex as no loungers are able to get up close compared to those on the beach area. The pools are great - lots of lifeguards, we enjoyed the wave pool and the lazy river. The cabana is well worth it if you can afford to splash out! It's mostly families and couples using the pools. The lazy river wasn't overcrowded and is very child friendly. There is a free monorail from the hotel up to the Luxor and the Excalibur hotels. Check in/check out was no problem. Would stay here again. Perhaps the only downside is that it is at the bottom of the Strip if you want to go exploring other hotels and see other sights.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Been to Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!