“Great Place In Itself w/Great Views, A Bit Removed From The Action On The Strip” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino

Ranked #46 of 271 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersGold level
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed here recently for our first experience in Las Vegas. The resort itself is just that- a sprawling area where you could easily spend a couple days without ever leaving its grounds. Plenty of restaurants, shops and areas for entertainment/live music. If you want to stay within the action, this may not be the place for you. In addition to a mini-mall connecting them, there is a FREE tram that goes directly from the resort to either the Luxor or Excalibur. There is also a FREE express tram that takes you from Mandalay Bay to the Excalibur where you can cross the street and go into the BACK of the MGM Grand, where you can pick up the other tram that takes you throughout the city. That tram costs money, I think $12 for an all-day pass. The Mandalay Bay feels like it was designed to keep you there (duh), so be prepared to do a lot of walking if you stay here and want to see other hotels too. Of course there are always taxis.
As far as the hotel itself goes, you will find the gaming area is much nicer than most of the others. From what I saw (and I tried to make my way into all the casinos), their gaming area has an open feel like the Bellagio or Caesars. The ceilings are high, so it's not smoky and you don't feel crammed at the machines.
For a good view of the strip on a budget, you can ask to stay on the 19th floor in the higher 200's (we were 19207)- every floor higher than that is at increased prices, and the higher in the 200's you are, the further away from the elevators you are and the "arm" of the hotel is further out, so your view is better (i.e our relatives were in room 19205 and we had better views). They start charging extra for rooms above the 19th floor, and you really don't need to pay the increased price to get a strip view.
A good thing about its location is that it is the closest hotel to the "Welcome To Las Vegas", so it's somewhat walkable (I would guess 1/2 mile). You will hear the airplanes taking off and landing because you have views of the airport too. The demographic was not so much the young crowd (they were at the Cosmopolitan), but more middle-aged, people there for work, or retired.

Room Tip: For a good view of the strip on a budget, you can ask to stay on the 19th floor in the higher 200...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,736)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Marion
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Great value, great rooms. Try to stay when you get free breakfast buffets.
Plenty of things to do and easy to get around in the hotel. Not as big as other hotels.
Utilize Free Tram to get furhter up the trip.

Room Tip: Good Clean Large Rooms.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Myself and 2 friends spent a weekend in a standard double room at Mandalay Bay.
Rooms were nice and comfortable with a big bathroom no complaints and a view of the strip!!
Location is good, lots of food choices within walking distance. Mandalay Bay Shops
and Luxor are about a 5 min. walk or Tram ride.
Casino had all the usual games, it was a little quiet during the day.
Its a huge resort and there are lots of people staying there, business and convention people, but we never felt crowded.
The spa was very nice, we spent an afternoon there, it had everything you could ask for. Multiple jacuzzis, cold plunges, steam, sauna, etc..
It was winter so we didn't get to use the pools.
I wouldn't hesitate to return. There are so many choices on the strip and this is a good one.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I have stayed in many timeshares in Vegas but never a hotel, especially not one on the strip, and after this last trip my mind has been changed. The reason I stayed in timeshare was to try and save money eating out so much, I know Vegas can be cheap but it’s not always the food I enjoy eating that is so cheap, but the Hotel had a lot of amenities I truly enjoyed and not having a rental car made the cab rides that much cheaper to get to and from the hotel. The hotel was very nice, we stayed four friends in a room with two beds and had plenty of room to maneuver around each other, even in the bathroom! The whole place was very clean, no issues with noise especially at night when I know it can get a bit rowdy. This hotel has defiantly changed my mind about where to stay in Vegas and I will no longer only stay at timeshares when I travel to there. Even though it was at the end of the strip I highly recommend it to anyone think of possibly staying, and we stayed in the main tower not The Hotel which I never did figure out how to get to from inside the casino

Room Tip: I have stayed in many timeshares in Vegas but never a hotel, especially not one on the strip, and af...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

My husband and I were taking our kids to Las Vegas for the march break and had booked part of the week at an off strip resort and wanted to break it up with view, then we got an email from M life (signed up on a previous trip) the rates were great, sixty plus resort fee, so we jumped at it the chance to stay here. We had the deluxe room which is standard and when checked in they gave us a strip view with no additional charge (some hotels charge for a strip view) Room was 2 queens with floor to ceiling windows. Beds were very comfortable and we left the drapes open to see the strip view and in the morning the sunrise over the mountains...beautiful! Bathroom had separate toilet area. In the main bath there was a separate shower and tub (which I soaked in while watching TV). The toiletries supplied were very nice and they restocked them everyday whether you needed them or not. I wish that there had been a coffee maker but the starbucks downstairs was not lined up so that made up for it. We ate at the Bayside buffet for breakfast one morning and it was VERY good, at first we thought it was a little expensive but not after eating there especially since a sit down order off the menu would have been more. For Dinner we ate at the House of Blues it was good, although I can't remember what I ate so it wasn't memorable. There is also a McDonalds, a Subway and a liquor store across the road (las vegas blvd) and we did go for our egg mcmuffin fix one morning when we had less time. The pools were open and water was heated to 80 degrees but my guys were so tired one day they didn't go in and the other its was windy and cool but there were lots of chairs and it looked fun. All in all it was a great stay but we were tired of walking by then end.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
north carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

After reading reviews on TripAdvisor, I must say that I was pleasantly surprised. The entire staff was delightful and very accommodating. If you stopped and looked around, an employee was asking if you needed assistance.

The view from the Foundation Room is spectacular, plan to go as the sun sets, 2 for 1 drink coupons were being handed out in the Casino.

Room service was timely and the server, Marc, was delightful. The food was actually quite tasty.

We were able to upgrade from 2 rooms to an X3 suite. It would be nice to have a coffee maker in the suite, at least we did get a refrigerator. The views went from the strip to the airport to pool to mountains. Our housekeeper rearranged some of our personal items, which I did not like at all.

Pros:
Easy access to elevators, you don't have to wind your way through the casino for 20 minutes
Citizens has take out food that is fairly priced and you can get a free cup of water
Liquor store, Subway, McDonalds across the street
Tram to Luxor & Excalibur

Cons:
$25 per night resort fee
2 glasses of house wine at casino bar $32+
Mini bar...don't even think about touching it!
At the far end of the strip, need to take a taxi to get to the center of the action

Room Tip: there are three views...mountains & pool , airport and strip. The Strip is the most iconic Vegas...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Annapolis, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Although the check in line was long, cold water was offered. The room was comfortable and I loved the soaking tub. the view of the strip was fantastic and I greatly appreciated that lack of smoke smell in the casino

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!