“Pleasantly surprised with Mandalay Bay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #34 of 269 Hotels in Las Vegas
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersGold level
colorado
“Pleasantly surprised with Mandalay Bay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2011

Stayed at Mandalay Bay with my wife for 3 nights in May. Was a little worried after reading some reviews, but was very pleased with our stay. Check in went very smoothly - requested a room with a view of the pool, and ended up on the 34th floor in a room that was very clean and accomadating. Never had a problem with the elevators, as previously mentioned in other reviews. The casino is very open with a good variety of machines. Access to the Excalibur tram is a nice feature - beats walking. Ate at House of Blues for lunch, and was surprised when the waiter told us to save our receipt to use the following morning for a 2 for 1 breakfast at the restaurant. Made it out to the pool only once due to cool weather, but had no problem getting two chairs. I would definitely stay at MB again for the right price!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,085)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Vacaville, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2011

Hotel/resort is located closest to the airport in Las Vegas. From the airport, take one of the shuttles for $6.50 or $7.00 for the most economical ride. You can find them right outside the door after you pick up your bags at the airport. Buy a ticket at the kiosk and get in line. Not bad, but Mandalay was the last stop on the shuttle I took. Trip about 30 minutes. Check-in and out were brisk and efficient. The place is gargantuan. I was there to attend a large convention and the hotel handled crowd control well. Ever-present security. Very pleasant staff in all areas. Cabana/pool area really fun - you can tube around and ride the artificial waves. But be prepared for crowds at the pool area. Get a lounger early. Cabanas are $375 for the day. The convention company rented one and the service was unbelievable. The entire hotel is very clean. Casino and rooms did not smell like smoke at all. Bathroom was huge with a standard room with 2 queen beds. TV in the bathroom. If you like to work out, there is a "free" cardio room with treadmills and bikes and ellipticals. If you want more than that it will cost $25 per day. Workout room had full set of free weights, LifeCycle machines and all kinds of cardio, so the fee may be worth it for gym rats like me. I didn't try the spa. Food is expensive at the hotel restaurants but we splurged and went to the steak house. Wonderful food and service was attentive. Kobe beef burger was $25. That was the cheapest dish on the menu but if you expect that going in you will not lack for attention. Overall I liked staying here for a convention but for a family vacation I could not afford it. This is not a place for kids - the hotel has nothing for them.

• Stayed May 2011
Mukwonago, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2011

My stay was better than I could have asked for. They gave me a room on the 26th floor over looking the pool area. What a beautiful view. The room was large, quiet and very comfortable. The bed was awesome. I love the Mandalay Bay Resort.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevators.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2011

... except the view...

We were booked at the Mandalay as my partner was attending a conference at the hotel.
We checked in late and all that was available was a two queen bed room. We were promised a king the next day, but the front desk messed that up. We were offered a $75 comp and moved on a king on the top floor the next day.

Great room with the most amazing view of the Strip. Great bed and nice bathroom.

The hotel is on the South Strip which is a bit far from all the action. We didn't gamble and found the casino floor outdated, smokey and not very nice. The Shoppes at Mandalay weren't that good.

When we checked out, they had forgotten all about the comp and we had to argue with them about it. In the end we only got a $30 comp. Nothing too serious, but the service from the front desk was horrible.

Easy parking with absolutely no need to use the valet service.

Next time, we'll stay at one of the Central Strip hotels.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Apex, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2011

Having stayed at many Las Vegas resorts over the past 5-10 years, I would rank the Mandalay dead last as a great place to stay based on my latest trip. I am not a fussy traveler. I want a clean room, a hot shower and hassle free check-in and check-out. It was 0 for 4 on this scale.

Check in was hampered with long lines and a gaggle of check in people trying to print out check in slips all at one printer which stopped working just before I reached the head of the line after a 30 minute wait. I should have known, then and there, that this was not a good omen.

The room was spacious and had many nice ammenities. Nice view, nice TV, the bed was a bit too soft for my liking, but ok... But, I really could do without the prior occupants trash in the trash bins, and their used shampoo and soap still in the shower. Did they even clean it?

I noticed that the cleaning of the room was hit or miss most of the week there. Some days, it was clean, and others I would find the cleaning rags left in the sink, the trash still in the room, or some portion of the room untouched.

The worst part of my stay was the last morning. Getting up at 4am for a 6:30am flight, I would have liked to taken a shower to rid my hair and body of the stale cigarette smoke smell from the casino, but was I in for a nice surprise! No water! No hot water and no cold water. Calling down to the front desk got someone who said the water shoud be back on in a few hours. Great... Not even an appology for the problem. I was treated as though I had created the problem.

4:30am checking out was hampered again by long lines and the inability to print any receipts. They must have not replaced the broken printer from six days earlier. If it was a broken slot machine, I am sure it would have been fixed in minutes.

It feels like this hotel is run by a bunch of amateurish, underpaid, unskilled staff. Everything was failing and they seemed incompetent to address the causes of the failures. Just a poorly run hotel. Stay away!

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
NJ, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2011

I stayed at Mandalay Bay for a long weekend. This resort is located at the airport-end of the Las Vegas strip, and encompasses two hotels (Mandalay Bay and THEHotel) and numerous restaurants, shops, pools, and nightclubs.

ROOMS: I stayed in a King Delux room with a view of the strip. Well, it was more like a view of the airport... you had to move to the far corner of the room to see the strip. It was quite lovely at night. The beds were comfortable but a bit soft. The bathroom was large with two sinks and a soaking tub (which I enjoyed). The 'fridge was stuffed with overpriced minibar items and there was no room to put my own soda or beer. >: (

POOLS: The lounge chairs and towels were grubby and hard to get. Fri thru Sun you had to get to the pool by 10 am for any chair at all. The wave pool is great fun and was nice and warm. The lazy river is also great (floats extra) and there were some jacuzzis scattered about. I didn't go to the adults only pool but I heard it was a fun party scene.

FOOD: Mix restaurant was excellent with a great view of the city. The food and service were superior. We also ate at Fleur which was tapas-style and had a diverse and delicious menu. Poolside food/drinks were pricey. Everything was pricey...

GAMING: The casino looks more or less like every other resort casino on the strip with the same games. Bar in the middle also a fun night spot.

SPA: Pricey, pricey. $45 for a manicure. The Cardio Room is paid for by your resort fees but if you want weights or mats you need to get a spa treatment or pay for Fitness Room access. Extra fees.

There are other things to do, such as shop in the mid-range stores, see Lion King or the Shark Reef, and take the tram to Luxor. Overall, nice hotel and I did get a good rate for the weekend.

los angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2011

I was a bit disappointed with my stay this time. The hotel seems to be letting itself go. The carpets in the hallway were very stained. The noise from other toilets could be heard in my room it was very noisy with doors slamming all night long. The iron was missing from my room. The food at the pool was horrible and so was the frozen drinks. When I received my spa treatment the ladies lounging by the jacuzzi was very loud I could hear them it was not very relaxing. Overall it was quite disappointing and I will be staying somewhere else next time.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!