“Good hotel for our first visit” 4 of 5 stars

33% Off Extend Summer!
Ranked #128 of 272 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersSilver level
Virginia
“Good hotel for our first visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2007

After reading so many negative reviews on this board, I was really worried. This was our first trip to Vegas and we were celebrating our anniversary.

We had a really good time though - stayed there June 11-15. We checked in at the airport - definitely do this. There was NO line.....totally worth it and SOOOO easy. When we got to the hotel, the lines were sooooo long - glad we didn't have to deal with that! The lady upgraded us to a Go room for $25 extra a night. It was totally worth it. We had a room on the strip. It had an incredible view of Caesar's Palace and the Bellagio fountains.

Our Go room was great....just as everyone wrote - comfortable bed, big shower, cool TV in the bathroom, plasma TV and stereo system in the bedroom, and very clean. We only wish it had a fridge.

We had a few issues with our cleaning lady not replacing glasses and other items, but the staff was quick to bring the items to our room after we called the front desk.

The pool is wonderful....but it's just as everyone said, you have to get there EARLY!!!! They really do pack you in like sardines. It's a fun and huge pool though. We had fun going on the water slide. We wanted to go to the adult pool since it was less crowded, but my husband refused to pay $10 to get in.....we both thought that was so ridiculous.

It's a little annoying how the staff hounds you at the entrance to buy tickets to their shows and other things, but every hotel does that. We got used to saying 'no thanks' as soon as we walked into every hotel.

The monorail is great....it goes right to the Flamingo. It's definitely quick and not that expensive for an all day pass....much quicker than taking the DEUCE bus.

The Tropical Breeze restaurant was OK. Nothing special.....we did like the eggs benedict for breakfast and French Dip for lunch. The staff isn't the quickest there. We didn't try the buffet or Margaritaville - we ate buffets at other hotels (Bellagio, Planet Hollywood, Harrah's, and Treasure Island were all good.).

We never played in the Flamingo casino. It was definitely smaller than other hotels.

Just like everyone says, you can't beat the location. It was GREATTTTTTTTT! Since it was our first time, we were so glad we got a GO room on the strip and stayed at the Flamingo. You really can't beat the location and the pools. I also liked how you can come off the elevator and walk right out. So many hotels are huge and you have to walk forever to get out of the hotel.

We saw Cirque de Soleil at Mystere at Tresure Island which was awesome. Since my husband is in the military, we got tickets for half off which was great.

Definitely see the Mac King Comedy magic show at Harrah's hotel. All the Harrah hotels will give you free tickets (usually $27 a ticket). All you have to do is pay for one drink which is $9.41. You can't beat that - free drink and a GREAT show for under $10!

I had a good time at the Flamingo. We were there during the week and it wasn't too insane. The crowds definitely tripled by the time we were leaving Friday. Oh, the only time we dealt with the construction was Friday morning. It was really bad - so early Friday morning. I got out of bed, went down to the front desk, and complained to the manger. The manager took off the $27 fee we had to pay for Thursday night's room upgrade.

I definitely think spending money to upgrade to a GO room when you check in is worth it. I just didn't want to take the chance of a regular deluxe room since I read so many horrible reviews here.

I enjoyed our room, the pools, and the location was great. It wasn't a 'stellar' hotel with great service, but it was good for our first trip and for the price we paid.

• 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,815)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2007

The general attitude I find with this hotel is -- give me your money but be content with our mediocre service. It is indeed a very large hotel with at least 400+ rooms with 30 floors and a large integrated casino right in the centre of the Strip. The rooms facing the Strip come with an extra $20 per night. The rooms are kept OK but you will find a price tag of $5 on the water bottles kept on the table. Internet access comes with $15 per day ( yes per day ! ) and we found the brunch menu is quite good but repeated the same dishes the next day too ! ( wonder whether they recycling food ?..Yes, it is Vegas so all it matters is money !

• 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Fort Worth, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2007

Stayed in a GO Room for my anniversary and absolutely loved it. The room was great and we had a wonderful view of the fountains at Bellagio. There as a minor hick up while trying to check in to the hotel from the airport, they said that we did not book a go room but as soon as I showed them my confirmation there was no longer an issue. Spent several hours on 2 of the days at the 21 and up only pool, $10 for men and free for women. It was well worth the money to not have any kids around. Do your self a favor and eat some where else, we had breakfast one morning at the Tropical Breeze and the food was absolutely horrible, small portions for a large price and the service was the worst that I have ever had in a Vegas restaurant. The food and food service is the only reason that I did not give this hotel top ratings. We will be back again.

• Liked — Pool
  • Disliked — In house restaurants
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Surrey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2007

Like others, was a little worried in advance, having seen some of the negative postings. However, this must be a hotel of twin personalities, and we saw pretty much the best of it.

Positives:

1. GO Deluxe room really comfortable, huge bed, great TV (including the one in the bathroom mirror)
2. Fantastic view of the Bellagio fountains and the south Strip(room 17042)
3. Pool area is great; we got there at 8.45 and were about 25th in the queue; when it opened a few minutes later there was no problem getting a couple of beds by one of the smaller pools with a bit of shade, just where we wanted to be
4. Very good pizza, fairly reasonable price, from the oven-bake place in the hotel
5. Check in at the airport. Fantastic! Managed to check in in about five minutes; by the time we had done, we went out to the baggage carousel to find our bags had just arrived
6. Location, location, location. At the risk of echoing everyone else, this hotel has a terrific position, pretty much convenient for everything.
7. Monorail; good, clean, cool regular service, just a shame you can't get the same one all the way to Mandalay Bay
8. Mystere Cirque du Soleil show at TI - absolutely breathtaking
9. Margaritaville - get one of the tubes full of margarita with a tap on. For $42 you get about 10-12 drinks out of it - bargain!
10. Slots in the Flamingo seemed pretty generous for a novice, it certainly seemed to take a long time to lose very little money!

Negatives:

1. Continual harrassment from timeshare reps at most of the hotels, including the Flamingo
2. I HATE the fact that the streets are full of guys accosting you to give you cards for prositiutes/escorts. Can't the police/mayor do anything about this as it's REALLY tacky??
3. For all non-Americans - be aware that the Spring Bank Holiday (Memorial Day) weekend is really busy, Vegas was packed
4. Never ate at the Flamingo, but the lines were immense all the time, it seemed
5. The bar in the hotel closed really early
6. Couldn't get in to the 'O' Cirque show; BOOK IN ADVANCE IF YOU WANT TO GO

Overall, had a great time and liked the Flamingo. However, next time we'll probably spend that bit extra and go for the Bellagio or MGM.......

• Liked — GO Deluxe room
  • Disliked — Timeshare reps
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Harpenden, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2007

Really rated this hotel
Went as family with 2 children 12 and 10
Upgraded on our 3 individual nights to GO rooms.
Cost $50 on a Saturday and $25 on a Sunday and Thursday
Amazing gadgetry that our kids loved.
Down side was that amazing hi fi without soundproofing rooms so we had to complain one night about next door neighbours noise!
Comfort and wonderful views of Bellagio fountains that my husband and I loved
Central in strip so visiting other hotels easy
Used the mono rail attached as well as strip trolley bus
Was on a raft trip for 3 days and left the car with luggage in car park (floor 1 and 2 appears to be valet), floor 3 hotel self park and above that public parking
checking in and out easy
used pizza take away as well as sit down cafe Ocean Breeze. Perfect for us
visted pool only at end of day when empty
compared to other hotels generally not so glitzy. We liked the fact we didn't get lost in it and could get out quickly to explore the other massive hotels and then return to Flamingo's comfort.

• Liked — centrally located techno room with wonderful views
  • Disliked — wonderful hi fi let down by bad soundproofing
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
Council Bluffs, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2007

I stayed at the Flamingo 10/05 and I thought it was a great place to stay. The grounds outside around the pools are beautiful, the hotel was very clean and I was actually suprised by how nice it was inside. The buffet was excellent and the location can't be beat - you are right in the middle of everything. I loved that the pool had a waterfall, chairs in the water and so on. I would for sure stay here again - the rooms were also clean and nice.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nothing to say I didn't like
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Durham, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2007

My husband and I stayed in Las Vegas, at the Flamingo, for four nights at the end of May. We were comped standard rooms and were asked if we wanted to upgrade to the GO rooms for $25 a night. We agreed and were very happy with our choice. We were on the 23rd floor with an amazing view of the Bellagio fountains.

The GO room has been aptly described in other reviews. The comfortable bedding, modern decor and color scheme, and great views. Of course, the plasma screen tvs were fun...lots of people made conversation about watching tv while taking a shower or going to the bathroom. It was kinda cheesy and fun at the same time. It is well worth the upgrade. I also appreciated the standard issue of a safe in the room. I did miss a coffee pot, however. Oh well, my husband happily agreed to get coffee in the morning.

The pool was quite busy...the chairs are arranged that people are packed like sardines drenched in suntan oil. I tend to like to sit in the pool and read, so I was happy that there were benches built into the pool structure. I just found a place to dump my stuff and into the pool I went. We did get drinks, a frozen drink is $10 a pop, which I found to be somewhat expensive. The first round was a little light on the alcohol, the second round must have contained the first rounds missing shots and then some! I suppose bartenders vary. People in past reviews complained the pool was not heated...this is true However, I cannot imagine a heated pool when it is 100 degrees outside! Overall, the pool was refreshing, crowded, but the music was good (lots of 80s mix). Many people I saw did scope out chairs and forced others to adhere to the rule "if you leave it vacant for 30 minutes it is up for grabs rule."

The location was super and it was easy to walk to other casinos. Gambling there was fine, but I prefered the livlier atmosphere of O'Shea's down the street. They routinely had five dollar tables and I still got Total Rewards points for gambling at a Harrah's property. I cannot comment on the food at the Flamingo as I did not eat there.

• Liked — Location in the center of the strip. The monorail has a stop at this hotel.
  • Disliked — Confusion that was caused when self-parking garage was closed for maintenance.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Flamingo Las Vegas Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!