“Pleasantly surprised” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Glasgow, UK
“Pleasantly surprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2006

Stayed 5 nights in the Flamingo, in Sept 2006. Cannot fault any part of the stay.
We were given a recently refurbished room which had bright modern decor and lots of nice modern touches (electric curtains, widescreen tv, dvd, sound system with I-pod in socket, tv in bathroom). Definitely worth slipping the receptionist a 20 if you can get one of these!
Casino is showing its age but doesn't have the same claustopobic feel of some of the other Vegas casino floors. Waitresses were attentive enough when gambling (especially in the Poker room).
Brekfast buffet was good enough to keep you going until your evening meal - never had to wait in line more than 5 mins. Outdoor areas were very pleasent, and well kept.
If you are looking for pleasant surrondings, in a relatively relaxed (by Vegas standards) atmosphere, at a reasonable cost and centrally located (Strip) then I would definitely recommend the Flamingo. Would go back.

Stayed September 2006

11,830 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,675)
  • Greek first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Kettering, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2006

Just had a fantastic week in Vegas.
My wife booked the trip as a surprise for my 40th and wow, what a surprise!!
We stayed at the Flamingo, which she chose for it's reasonable price in comparison to its excellent position on the strip. The Harrah's group (who own Flamingo) offer a check in service at the airport, which we made use of. Sadly we were told the non smoking room overlooking the strip we had asked for was not available. But a smoking one was. The very uninterested man assured us the room would not smell of smoke, so we took it.
On arrival at the hotel a few seconds in the room, confirmed our fears as the room stank of cigars. Back down to reception with all our luggage. We were confronted by another member of staff with a very bad attitude who had no interest in us at all. He told us they had no rooms at all as they were fully booked.
Of course we thought this was abit off as we had just travelled 15 hours and booked around 10 months previous, we kind of expected to have a room!
Eventually we were offered a room that had been converted for disabled guests. This over looked the multi story car park next door!! Bang went the strip view. And bang went my back as I had to stoop under the shower all week as the head had been lowered for wheel chair users...........At no time did we find any of the staff helpful or accomodating. We decided we would get no further with them so did not complain and kept the room all week.

As for vegas..............WOW !!!!!

I had dreamed of going for years and it did not dissapoint. The hotels on the strip are a joy to visit. All very unique with their own amazing attractions.
My favorites were Caesars palace, where we saw the Celine Dion show, Amazing effects and The Venetian, where we had a private Gondola serenade.
Toni Braxton was fantastic in her show at the Flamingo. Miss it if you dare!
The free light show at Freemont St, should also not be missed................
The rides on the top of the Stratosphere are awesome as well as the roller coasters at New York New York and the Sahara.
We took a helicopter to the Grand Canyon which was amazing. Fantastic views of the canyon, Hoover Dam, Lake Mead and the Strip all seemed just an arms length away!

Shopping was fantastic at Caesars and the Desert Passage in the Aladdin.
There are some excellent restaurants to suit all budgets. We loved and can recommend, The Cheesecake Factory in Caesars, Margaritaville at the Flamingo, Kahunaville at TI (great for breakfast) and the Round Table Buffet at Excaliber (which was vast).

If you enjoy playing Texas Hold Em Poker you will be in heaven. All the hotels have latched onto its surge in popularity and offer games to suit all wallets. With all of them also holding various denomination buy in tournaments. I won $500 in one at the Flamingo which was the highlight of my whole trip. What a buzz.
My wife loved the Roulette and we cashed out a few hundred $$ from that too.

This place is an adult playground not to be missed. There is plenty for the non gamblers too. The first few days our jaws were on the floor and we had sensory overload, but soon got into the swing of things and can't wait to go back.

• Liked — Position on the Strip
  • Disliked — Very unhelpful staff
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sumter, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2006

My family and I spent 5 days at the Flamingo in June. It was very adequate for us and the location is great. You can walk right to the street and go to other casinos nearby. There was enough to do right in the area that you didn't have to travel to have fun. The monorail station is at the hotel if needed. parking is ample and the pool area is great. There is a pool for every age group. My only complaint (minor) was the buffet was average-nothing to write home about. We got tired of it in a hurry-no variety. Overall I would stay here again.

Stayed June 2006
Brooklyn, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2006

Our hotel stay was great. The premises were clean, neat, pretty and the staff was friendly. Not as "glitzy" as some of the other hotels but nice all the same. I'd stay there again.

• Liked — It was located right on the strip.
  • Disliked — Mobs of people.
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sydney Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2006

Well just got back from a four night stay at the Flamingo. We got an "upgraded" room for $50 extra per night, this is on a recently renovated floor and is quite a nice room. Separate shower and bath, largish plasma TV, and also a small LCD TV built into the bathroom mirror! The beds were twin queens and very comfortable, not saggy or anything like that. The view was of the pool, and mountains beyond, nice view to wake up to in the morning (we did not want a strip view anyway). So all in all since it has been recently renovated it is quite a nice room.
Now for the bad points. In room high speed internet is $11 per night. Now I know that this is Vegas and that they will try to gouge you at every opportunity, but I thought that this was a bit tough. Also when we got there initially it just did not work (problem with the modem, it would not give out an IP address). They insisted on sending someone which took 90 minutes. Now my job is computer support so I just restarted the modem and bang! we get an IP address but they still insisted on sending someone. So we had to wait until this security type guy comes and verifies that "everything is plugged in OK". Then for some reason we could not get past the agreement page in Internet Explorer. I rang the Help Desk and he just manually added us in. Tip - if he does do that, you're not charged for that 24 hour period! However, you have to agree to the page *each* 24 hour period. It only worked once after that, for the other two night we had to manually get added in again. So that meant we were only charged for one night! That's good I suppose but it was still a painful experience. Room service is very slow. Order a pot of coffee, it takes at least 40 mins. Meals take longer. Also, the room did not have a fridge or even a coffee maker! So bad luck if you want to keep a drink in the room or make yourself a cup of coffee.
Don't even bother with the casino, if you gamble like I do (ie you know that you aren't going to be lucky but just want to play the slots for as long as you can with $50) go next door to the Barbary Coast and you can play all night.
I wasn't that impressed with either the buffet or the cafe. The buffet food was nice but expensive. The cafe food was very average, and expensive!
Finally, for some reason, while we were there the water slides and fountains in the pool were not working. Something to do with no lifeguard. Pretty lame excuse if you ask me!
All in all I would not stay here again, even though the room was nice and new. I would have preferred an older room but with better service (and nicer meals).
PS If you like 80s music - the piped music in the lobby and lifts and by the pool will make your day! I heard some songs that I haven't heard in nearly 20 years. They seem to have a never ending supply of the stuff. It was all 80s for the four days that we were there.

• Liked — Nice newly renovated room
  • Disliked — Terrible internet, slow room service, expensive food
  • Tips/Secrets — Call IT helpdesk and get "manually added" into the agreement page and it will be free for 24 hours!!
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Omaha, NE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2006

Just got back yesterday from a 3 night stay at the Flamingo. Never stayed at this hotel before but the weekend warrior rate could not be passed up for mid strip!

I don't know if all rooms are crappy or if its just the rooms with the discounted rates. We were put WAY in the back of the hotel with a view of a parking garage. I tried asking for a view but got cut off with a curt, "Nothing is available!".

The entry light was a bare bulb, mold all over the bathroom shower around the edge, blood on the sheets, safe didn't work, tv remote was broken. We were in our room a total of 8 hours in 3 days so it didn't bother us much & we didn't bother asking to be moved but the hotel could use some work.

The elevators were dirty & the floor throughout the entire hotel was uneven - sometimes there were holes under the carpet & other times the floor was raised up. Airport check-in was very efficient and convenient.

The steak house was very good and able to accommodate us at the last minute before a show even though they were 'completely booked'.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Uneven floors
  • Stayed October 2006
Lakeview, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2006

We enjoyed our 4-night stay at the Flamingo very much. The mid-strip location is fantastic.

We checked in around 6 pm, and it was a breeze. No line ~ we walked right up to the counter. Staff was very friendly.

Our room was on the 4th floor with a view of the courtyard area near the pool. We watched 2 weddings take place down in the courtyard, which was kind of fun.

The room was clean, comfortable, not fancy, but plenty roomy. Decor was beige tones and the carpet looks a little tired. We had a king bed, a small sofa, desk & chair. The bathroom had tile floors and plenty of counter space. An ironing board and iron are stowed in the closet.

We ate breakfast at the coffee shop a couple of times, and it was very good.

The pool area is awesome. We didn't actually swim, but we strolled around through the pool area and, although crowded, we did see lounge chairs available if we had wanted them. The adult pool was quiet and peaceful.

The casino was kind to me, but not to my husband. I won $650 on a Wheel of Fortune dollar slot. The casino was lively but not overly crowded, with a nice variety of table games and slots.

We saw the Second City comedy show, which was pretty funny. I did think it was a bit overpriced at $40 per ticket, but I had coupons for 2-for-1 so that cut the price in half for the 6 of us. Still a bit pricey, though. The Mac King afternoon show at Harrah's was hilarious and only $20 for preferred seating.

I would most definitely stay at Flamingo again. The price was right, the location great, and the rooms perfectly fine for us.

• Liked — Location, price
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Flamingo Las Vegas Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!