“Location, Location, Location” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Sumter, South Carolina
“Location, Location, Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2006

My family and I spent 5 days at the Flamingo in June. It was very adequate for us and the location is great. You can walk right to the street and go to other casinos nearby. There was enough to do right in the area that you didn't have to travel to have fun. The monorail station is at the hotel if needed. parking is ample and the pool area is great. There is a pool for every age group. My only complaint (minor) was the buffet was average-nothing to write home about. We got tired of it in a hurry-no variety. Overall I would stay here again.

Stayed June 2006

11,376 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,513)
  • Greek first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Brooklyn, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2006

Our hotel stay was great. The premises were clean, neat, pretty and the staff was friendly. Not as "glitzy" as some of the other hotels but nice all the same. I'd stay there again.

• Liked — It was located right on the strip.
  • Disliked — Mobs of people.
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sydney Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2006

Well just got back from a four night stay at the Flamingo. We got an "upgraded" room for $50 extra per night, this is on a recently renovated floor and is quite a nice room. Separate shower and bath, largish plasma TV, and also a small LCD TV built into the bathroom mirror! The beds were twin queens and very comfortable, not saggy or anything like that. The view was of the pool, and mountains beyond, nice view to wake up to in the morning (we did not want a strip view anyway). So all in all since it has been recently renovated it is quite a nice room.
Now for the bad points. In room high speed internet is $11 per night. Now I know that this is Vegas and that they will try to gouge you at every opportunity, but I thought that this was a bit tough. Also when we got there initially it just did not work (problem with the modem, it would not give out an IP address). They insisted on sending someone which took 90 minutes. Now my job is computer support so I just restarted the modem and bang! we get an IP address but they still insisted on sending someone. So we had to wait until this security type guy comes and verifies that "everything is plugged in OK". Then for some reason we could not get past the agreement page in Internet Explorer. I rang the Help Desk and he just manually added us in. Tip - if he does do that, you're not charged for that 24 hour period! However, you have to agree to the page *each* 24 hour period. It only worked once after that, for the other two night we had to manually get added in again. So that meant we were only charged for one night! That's good I suppose but it was still a painful experience. Room service is very slow. Order a pot of coffee, it takes at least 40 mins. Meals take longer. Also, the room did not have a fridge or even a coffee maker! So bad luck if you want to keep a drink in the room or make yourself a cup of coffee.
Don't even bother with the casino, if you gamble like I do (ie you know that you aren't going to be lucky but just want to play the slots for as long as you can with $50) go next door to the Barbary Coast and you can play all night.
I wasn't that impressed with either the buffet or the cafe. The buffet food was nice but expensive. The cafe food was very average, and expensive!
Finally, for some reason, while we were there the water slides and fountains in the pool were not working. Something to do with no lifeguard. Pretty lame excuse if you ask me!
All in all I would not stay here again, even though the room was nice and new. I would have preferred an older room but with better service (and nicer meals).
PS If you like 80s music - the piped music in the lobby and lifts and by the pool will make your day! I heard some songs that I haven't heard in nearly 20 years. They seem to have a never ending supply of the stuff. It was all 80s for the four days that we were there.

• Liked — Nice newly renovated room
  • Disliked — Terrible internet, slow room service, expensive food
  • Tips/Secrets — Call IT helpdesk and get "manually added" into the agreement page and it will be free for 24 hours!!
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Omaha, NE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2006

Just got back yesterday from a 3 night stay at the Flamingo. Never stayed at this hotel before but the weekend warrior rate could not be passed up for mid strip!

I don't know if all rooms are crappy or if its just the rooms with the discounted rates. We were put WAY in the back of the hotel with a view of a parking garage. I tried asking for a view but got cut off with a curt, "Nothing is available!".

The entry light was a bare bulb, mold all over the bathroom shower around the edge, blood on the sheets, safe didn't work, tv remote was broken. We were in our room a total of 8 hours in 3 days so it didn't bother us much & we didn't bother asking to be moved but the hotel could use some work.

The elevators were dirty & the floor throughout the entire hotel was uneven - sometimes there were holes under the carpet & other times the floor was raised up. Airport check-in was very efficient and convenient.

The steak house was very good and able to accommodate us at the last minute before a show even though they were 'completely booked'.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Uneven floors
  • Stayed October 2006
Lakeview, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2006

We enjoyed our 4-night stay at the Flamingo very much. The mid-strip location is fantastic.

We checked in around 6 pm, and it was a breeze. No line ~ we walked right up to the counter. Staff was very friendly.

Our room was on the 4th floor with a view of the courtyard area near the pool. We watched 2 weddings take place down in the courtyard, which was kind of fun.

The room was clean, comfortable, not fancy, but plenty roomy. Decor was beige tones and the carpet looks a little tired. We had a king bed, a small sofa, desk & chair. The bathroom had tile floors and plenty of counter space. An ironing board and iron are stowed in the closet.

We ate breakfast at the coffee shop a couple of times, and it was very good.

The pool area is awesome. We didn't actually swim, but we strolled around through the pool area and, although crowded, we did see lounge chairs available if we had wanted them. The adult pool was quiet and peaceful.

The casino was kind to me, but not to my husband. I won $650 on a Wheel of Fortune dollar slot. The casino was lively but not overly crowded, with a nice variety of table games and slots.

We saw the Second City comedy show, which was pretty funny. I did think it was a bit overpriced at $40 per ticket, but I had coupons for 2-for-1 so that cut the price in half for the 6 of us. Still a bit pricey, though. The Mac King afternoon show at Harrah's was hilarious and only $20 for preferred seating.

I would most definitely stay at Flamingo again. The price was right, the location great, and the rooms perfectly fine for us.

• Liked — Location, price
Pueblo, CO
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2006

I took my grandaughter to dance convention in Las Vegas. I also took her two brothers, age 14 & 15 and my physically handicapped cousin. I booked months ahead and requested adjoining rooms. My teenage boys had a room 40 rooms away from me! The hotel didn't seem to care that these teen boys would be without adult supervision during the time in their room.
I also requested a handicapped room, with two beds. We had one bed and my dancing grandaughter slept on the floor every night. No roll aways available either!
The carpet on the side of the bed closest to the bathroom was soaked all of the time we were there. One night we came in at 10:30 to find a big blower and extension cord in the middle of the room. We had to call someone to come and take it away so we could go to bed.
When I requested room changes I was told I had to check out of my room before I could see another one. So I packed up my cousin in her wheelchair, and hauled all of our luggage to the desk. Hauled it all up to the "new" room, on the other side of the hotel, and cried when I opened the door. Still one bed and no handicapped shower. A tub with pipes welded around to hang on to. I hauled it all back and took my old room back. Throughout all of this, I was never offered any "comps". Not a discount, not a meal, not a quarter for a slot. I would never recommend this hotel to anyone and I will not go back.
We did have a lovely stay at the Tropicana last year if you are looking for value.

• Liked — The teens enjoyed the pool, the dance convention facilities were decent.
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Tips/Secrets — The airport check-in isn't always open!
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
West Des Moines, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2006

We booked $99 round trip flights and our hotel thru Allegiant Air. 2 round trip tickets and 3 nights for a little over $900... I think we could have gotten it for less if we booked the hotel thru another website.

Our room was a standard king and it was very nice. No complaints. We were only in the room to sleep anyway. We upgraded for $20/night for a room with a Strip view, we faced Caesar’s and we were on the 21st floor. It was awesome to wake up to the sunrise in the morning and have the view of the Strip at night.

We wished that we would have had another day or two… at least one day to relax at the pool. We went to the hotel pool one day, we didn't go until 530pm. I thought it would still be warm, since it was plenty hot outside, but the pool area was so shady, I felt cold. We should have gone to the hot tubs, but I forgot they were there! Also, I asked about the water slides and they said they were taken out, so the online info that I saw was outdated.

We ate at the hotel restaurant twice. It was NOT good food at all, but late at night, it doesn't matter what you eat!

Stayed September 2006

Been to Flamingo Las Vegas Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!