“Great Stay at Flamingo” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Lakeview, Oregon
“Great Stay at Flamingo”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2006

We enjoyed our 4-night stay at the Flamingo very much. The mid-strip location is fantastic.

We checked in around 6 pm, and it was a breeze. No line ~ we walked right up to the counter. Staff was very friendly.

Our room was on the 4th floor with a view of the courtyard area near the pool. We watched 2 weddings take place down in the courtyard, which was kind of fun.

The room was clean, comfortable, not fancy, but plenty roomy. Decor was beige tones and the carpet looks a little tired. We had a king bed, a small sofa, desk & chair. The bathroom had tile floors and plenty of counter space. An ironing board and iron are stowed in the closet.

We ate breakfast at the coffee shop a couple of times, and it was very good.

The pool area is awesome. We didn't actually swim, but we strolled around through the pool area and, although crowded, we did see lounge chairs available if we had wanted them. The adult pool was quiet and peaceful.

The casino was kind to me, but not to my husband. I won $650 on a Wheel of Fortune dollar slot. The casino was lively but not overly crowded, with a nice variety of table games and slots.

We saw the Second City comedy show, which was pretty funny. I did think it was a bit overpriced at $40 per ticket, but I had coupons for 2-for-1 so that cut the price in half for the 6 of us. Still a bit pricey, though. The Mac King afternoon show at Harrah's was hilarious and only $20 for preferred seating.

I would most definitely stay at Flamingo again. The price was right, the location great, and the rooms perfectly fine for us.

• Liked — Location, price
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family

11,497 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,468)
  • Greek first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Pueblo, CO
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2006

I took my grandaughter to dance convention in Las Vegas. I also took her two brothers, age 14 & 15 and my physically handicapped cousin. I booked months ahead and requested adjoining rooms. My teenage boys had a room 40 rooms away from me! The hotel didn't seem to care that these teen boys would be without adult supervision during the time in their room.
I also requested a handicapped room, with two beds. We had one bed and my dancing grandaughter slept on the floor every night. No roll aways available either!
The carpet on the side of the bed closest to the bathroom was soaked all of the time we were there. One night we came in at 10:30 to find a big blower and extension cord in the middle of the room. We had to call someone to come and take it away so we could go to bed.
When I requested room changes I was told I had to check out of my room before I could see another one. So I packed up my cousin in her wheelchair, and hauled all of our luggage to the desk. Hauled it all up to the "new" room, on the other side of the hotel, and cried when I opened the door. Still one bed and no handicapped shower. A tub with pipes welded around to hang on to. I hauled it all back and took my old room back. Throughout all of this, I was never offered any "comps". Not a discount, not a meal, not a quarter for a slot. I would never recommend this hotel to anyone and I will not go back.
We did have a lovely stay at the Tropicana last year if you are looking for value.

• Liked — The teens enjoyed the pool, the dance convention facilities were decent.
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Tips/Secrets — The airport check-in isn't always open!
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
West Des Moines, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2006

We booked $99 round trip flights and our hotel thru Allegiant Air. 2 round trip tickets and 3 nights for a little over $900... I think we could have gotten it for less if we booked the hotel thru another website.

Our room was a standard king and it was very nice. No complaints. We were only in the room to sleep anyway. We upgraded for $20/night for a room with a Strip view, we faced Caesar’s and we were on the 21st floor. It was awesome to wake up to the sunrise in the morning and have the view of the Strip at night.

We wished that we would have had another day or two… at least one day to relax at the pool. We went to the hotel pool one day, we didn't go until 530pm. I thought it would still be warm, since it was plenty hot outside, but the pool area was so shady, I felt cold. We should have gone to the hot tubs, but I forgot they were there! Also, I asked about the water slides and they said they were taken out, so the online info that I saw was outdated.

We ate at the hotel restaurant twice. It was NOT good food at all, but late at night, it doesn't matter what you eat!

Stayed September 2006
Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2006

Stayed 5 nights in September 2006 during a convention. Booked a room in advance for $140 a night, then discovered I could have it for $100 if I hadn't booked. Will know better next time.

The room was large and clean, bed comfortable, no complaints. The furniture was rather tired but functional.

It seems like the hotel is undergoing renovations - I noticed stacks of new bath tubs, toilet bowls etc. in the back yard as I walked around the hotel.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
Kansas City, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2006

We paid 109 for a room and checked in so late that we were given a suite. We were charged twice on our credit card prior to checkin, but a phone call took care of this promptly. Check in was nice. The only problem was that ‘since we’re remodeling all suites are smoke if you want to’. We were not happy with this since we are non smokers and had booked way in advance for a non smoking room. I really hope they are remodeling, the room was auctrocious, not in the least romantic. Carpet was outdated and had two large red stains, we did not know if it was wine or blood and thinking about it really turned us off to the room. There was no view from our room at all. All of the furniture had scratches. The décor was extremely outdated. For 109 you can get a much better room in Vegas (which we have done at other properties). Bathroom was dingy and not well lit. We were really disappointed with this room. The video check out did not work. If you’re in Vegas avoid the Flamingo, you can get a much better deal elsewhere.

• Liked — not a thing
  • Disliked — grittiness of the room, totally outdated
  • Tips/Secrets — stay somewhere else
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Bradenton, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2006

Just had a great 4 day stay at the Flamingo made better by my $750 win on the Jets, but that's beside the point.

I got a standard room for about $120 a nite in a package deal and got what I paid fror. The reason I chose the Flamingo, as most other posters here probably did, was it's location- right in the middle of everything. You will be doing alot of walking in Vegas, so you might as well be in the center of the action- it sits across from some of the bigger and cooler theme hotels- Caesars and the Bellagio and is right next to Bally's, Paris and Harrahs.

When checking in, they upgraded me to a Strip View room for no particular reason; I have no special status at this hotel. The view was great, especially at night and added to the trip. This brings up an interesting travel tip I wish to share: when checking into any hotel, anywhere, try to be as polite and gracious as possible to the desk attendant- many times they can upgrade or even downgrade you arbitrarily based on your attitude- this can make the difference between an oceanfront and alleyfront view. Its worth the investment.

The rooms here are nothing special whatsoever, the whole hotel is kind of showing it's age and the elevators were a little slow, but you did'nt come here to hang out in your room. The hotel grounds however were especially nice with 2 pools including one big one with a waterfall. They also have a mini-zoo thing with flamingos (of course), parrots, ducks, cockatiels, turtles, etc. Nice and great for the kids. If you can find it, there is also an interesting historical marker on the grounds marking the original site of the first Flamingo built by Bugsy Siegel in 1946, since torn down.

Some other tips on the Flamingo:

Second City is Second Rate- The long standing comedy-improv troupe gives shows nightly at their own theatre here. I saw them at the Flamingo 3 years ago and they were awesome. This time, they absolutley stunk. They did little of the brilliant improv, off the cuff humor they are famous for but instead gave the audience a series of puerile sub-SNL sketches about boobies and sex with a dead woman that they must have made up when they were drunk or stoned. Very little talent here and the $47 ticket price did not help- DISAPPOINTING.

George Wallace Rules- George also has his own show here and has been at the Flamigo for 3 years. This husky, old school black comedian is all class. He kept the audience rolling for over 90 minutes with virtually no profanity or sex/body functions jokes- just old fashoned humor, timing and perfect delivery. He includes alot of personal philosophy in his act and I actually left the theatre feeling uplifted. GREAT

Work The Time Share Schpiel- It seems the time-share hawkers are out in force in even greater numbers than the Guatemalan illegal aliens with the smutty hooker leaflets- my advice- nod, smile, say you are not interested and take their gifts. My wife and I invested 2 hours in the Hilton one offered at the Flamingo listening to their promo for time shares and were ligtly pressured by a blow-dried salesperson, but in the end we drank their coffe (good!), ate their danishes, took our free George Wallace Tickets ($130 value), $50 Planet Hollywood gift certificates, and half price tickets for 2 other shows, and walked. Be warned though- their sales techniques were pretty clever and even perked my interest- but even I am not stupid enough to make a $40 grand commitment based on a few cups of coffe.

Rock The Buffet- The Tropical Buffet offered at the Flamingo is superior with a beautiful, classy setting- save lots of room for the excellent selection of pastries and desserts. Try to get a table with a window next to the flamingos and waterfall.

Good luck and happy travels!

• Liked — Location, Location, Location
  • Disliked — Old, worn out
  • Tips/Secrets — See Review
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Dundee,Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2006

Hilton Flaming Las Vegas july 2006
trip advisor Dundee, Scotland
Having read the reviews about poor a/c cramped rooms small bathrooms, dated furniture etc I thought maybe not but as we were meeting up with my sister and her kids from origon and we had my 9 year old the pool review swung it for us.Yes it was busy and at times geared for groups it was segragated with no problems and certainly well staffed. It certainly does not have the rowdy culture you would see with youngsters in any european resort pool area and I have been to many. The hotel reasturants were fine no complaints there and as we were there six nights you were always out and about eating at different hotels and doing the sights. I couldnt agree with the reviews on the hotel rooms ours was a standard with two kings the toilet was big enough for one in it at a time which is all you need and anyway you must be sad if you want to stay in your room all day,ours was for sleeping in at night and on the 23rd floor heard nothing and yes we were even near the elevators.The check in was at the airport and no lines to stand in,dont bother waiting around for the hotel bus it does multipal stops and is actually dearer, jump in a taxi it is only $12.00 .Check out the room by settling your bill by your credit card on the room television and walk straight out the hotel easy as that, then people dont have to write reviews that warn of long lines at check outs. We treated ourselves to a further two nights across the strip at ceasars palace and no complaints there either, the room was smaller but "hey ho". And tv check out there also.If you are a normal person with normal aspirations and dont want to complain just to see how many freebies you can get then worth the stay for a room for three @$624.00 for six great days and nights. And would go back again.

Stayed July 2006

Been to Flamingo Las Vegas Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!