“Stayed, Played, Ate, and Got Married” 3 of 5 stars

Save up to 25% Off
Ranked #132 of 273 hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersSilver level
bichonandon
“Stayed, Played, Ate, and Got Married”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

Our separate review of the Flamingo wedding is posted in the Attractions area.

We booked rooms for ourselves and our 16 guests at the Flamingo for convenience and price. The rooms are somewhat remodeled, but be careful. It's hard to know beforehand which rooms are better deals than others. For example, we were given an "upgraded" room with our wedding package, and we felt so lucky. Only to find out later that our guests, were accommodated with much nicer rooms at much less cost. In fact, our room on the 28th floor was the oldest and dreariest of all of the 9 rooms we booked and paid for. The rooms for our guests were on all different floors, as the hotel staff refused to put them near one another. My mother-in-law truly needed to have a room near an elevator, and even though I specifically requested that for her, they put her as far away from an elevator that one could get.

Floor 28 room wasn't worth the extra money.
Floor 15 had somewhat updated rooms, and were a much better value, but the hallway smelled like a dog park.
Floor 5 rooms were nice, updated and clean.

I'm not a huge fan of Vegas "views," but all rooms seemed to have some kind of a view of lights, garden or pool.

Hotel staff is sorely lacking in service-oriented attitude. It is not an exaggeration that the room the counter woman assigned to my mother in law could not have been more inappropriate given the information provided on MIL's ability to walk long distances. I wonder what the counter woman would feel like if she had two bad hips and 79 years of walking, and somebody gave her the farthest room from the elevator that they possibly could.

Our "upgraded" room's bathroom was dingy to say the least, and there was hair on the floor and in the tub. Gross. Also, the fire alarm on our floor went off for approx 10 min at 3 AM. If I wanted the Freemont Street "experience," I would have saved lots of money per night.

We booked our rooms almost a month prior via smartervegas, and a couple of times every day thereafter, we checked the prices. Prices fluctuated from $45 to $125 over that month, and our rates averaged out to approx $60 per person per night. It was odd to see prices change drastically over the course of a few hours on any given day, and we wondered what system they use to determine pricing.

Finally, the casino area offers your usual games, but an additional component that cannot be ignored is the "cage" dancer. There are hopelessly bored, scantily clad females peppering the gaming areas who move slightly to the loud music. This detail alone caused our family to leave the Flamingo gaming area and head elsewhere to spend our money. I can appreciate a Vegas hotel/casino trying to capitalize on the history of burlesque dancers in Vegas, but it would have been better for us if they relegated it to paid shows only so customers have a choice other than leaving.

10,374 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,040)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Brisbane Qld
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

Stayed in Vegas in the lead up to Christmas and stayed at the Flamingo. Have relied on TripAdvisor wherever we have stayed so far in the States and haven't gone wrong yet. Some of the reviews were a worry for this place but took the plunge because there was a good mix as well. Shouldn't have worried at all. Yes the place is a little tired and there was a strong smell of air freshener covering up the smoke but then after walking through other casinos it certainly wasn't the worst. Friendly service and the room was refreshed and replenished every day without fail. Right in the middle of the strip so it was just a matter of which direction to turn each day or night. The price was fantastic and wouldn't be beaten considering you are in Vegas and it really just somewhere to crash. Has to pay for WiFi which was a bit disappointing but all in all was a very pleasant surprise.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
San Antonio, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

The Fab rooms were funky. They use a large frosted sliding glass door for the bathroom. At night you wake everyone up with the light shinig through the glass. The casino is a decent place with good pit bosses to make sure the rules are adhered to.

Very Important!!!! Harrah's properties are trying to go "paperless". HAHAHA!!
Unfortunately, to achieve this they do not give you a regular paper charge card for Harrah's
charging priveledges. Make sure you get your personal ID number for charging. Even in the Flamingo Hotel Oyster bar in the back (Great place!!) they asked for the paper card!!
I had to go round and round until they told me about my ID card number to remember.

They did not volunteer this number when I checked in. Not all Harrah's properties are apparenty trying to go paperless so some are still issuing the card. It was not fun...

Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

Checked in, after first hour was moved because of the walls leaking. Once we were moved the new keys we were given did not in new room. The key issue being deactivated occured 4 nights out of our 5 nights in missery at tyr Flamingo. Also couod not park for 3 of the nights as th valet and garge were both full. This hotel is tge definition of mismanaged. Hotl could not perform the simplest of tasks including mising something as simple as a wake up call. Other then location Stay AWAY at all costs.

Pickerington, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012 via mobile

The wife and I stayed there a week in mid-September for a district attorneys conference. I'm about as uninsistant on luxury as they come, but this place was frankly nasty.

The rooms have a tacky pink fur type of motif with 1970's throw rugs; not fun Vegas kitchy tacky, but just cheap. The gap under the door to the adjoining room was litterally about a full inch; we had to stuff towels underneath the door to keep from clearly hearing everything said by guests in the other room (and vice-versa).

We were on the 21st floor, but still were woken every night by the next door cover band. Yes, Vegas is a 24/7 party, but that doesn't mean it should feel like you're crashing at a frat house.

The concierge desk couldn't be reached by phone at almost any time. When I finally got ahold of them (in person, for lack of option), it it was staffed by earnest and well-meaning, but frankly clueless, kids. We discovered better suggestions for things to do at night from the TV infomercial channel than this crew.

The worst part was the stench outside the room. The entire 100+ room corridor our room was on didn't smell of mold--it reeked! My wife put it best: "It smells like a swimming pool died here". :-P The pervassive mold odor persisted throughout the ENTIRE week!

Don't get me wrong: my wife and I had a WONDERFUL week in Vegas. The Flamingo--well, it is on the Strip after all. We'd merely role our eyes and chuckle over the poor accomodations that couldn't ruin an otherwise perfect week.

And then, the checkout scam.

The national group running our prosecutor's seminar had a deal with the Flamingo to comp seminar attendees for use of in-room internet and the hotel gym. Great. I explicitly mentioned when I checked in I was part of the group. "Yes sir, of course sir"! We were told by the orgazization guy running the seminar that some attendees were noticing internet and gym charges on their invoice, but don't worry as the Flamingo promised to square things when we checked out. Great again.

Then actual check out happened, and they flat out--and with amazing rudeness--refused to honor their comping these expenses. Even talking to the desk manager--who was the rudest of all!--didn't help. I pointed out my organization had a contract with the Flamingo: 'NO!' I noted i'd explicitly checked in as part of the seminar: 'NO!' I offered to show documentation of my being a seminar attendee: 'NO!' I left being screwed out of a nice chunck of change that took me several weeks and multiple hours of time through my credit card dispute office to get the money refunded (YAY JUSTICE! :-D), including sending my organization's contract to my credit card PROVING the Flamingo was in the wrong.

Sadly, it appears the original Strip hotel is now unwilling or unable to spend the money to update their shabby dilapiated dump to the 21st century, and have to chisel bucks out of their guests anyway possible.

• Stayed September 2012
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

Better wear your tennis shoes when you self park because you are going to walk a long way to the room elevator past the shopping area and food court (couple blocks). In room, no coffee maker, no blankets (we went in December/had to ask for one). Restaurants way over priced $$$, Carlos and Charlie's waitress padded our bill and we caught her at it and management could care less about, sounds like a group effort - Margaretville was great! Many drunk parties going on around our room and security had to break them up. We are going to stay at smaller off strip hotel next time where parking is more convenient and less crowded-Days Inn even sounds better than the Flamingo.

Room Tip: Ask for a lower floor due to all of the walking and elevator trips you will encounter.
Idaho
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

We have stayed at the Flamingo Hotel many times over the years. We love the convenient mid-strip location, and in past visits have been generally happy with our stay.

Not this visit! Our two days were full of unpleasant surprises.

Starting with the check-in process--not enough personnel on hand at the front desk--the line snaked through the lobby. Luckily, I was able to use their self-check in kiosk.

We were given a "Fab Deluxe" room in the Habitat Tower, 19th floor. It was quite a hike to the elevators, but no problem. As we exited the elevator and walked down the hall to our room, we noticed a very unpleasant, sour smell. The carpet was stretched out, wrinkled and very dirty.

Our room was fine, we were in one of their recently upgraded rooms. The king size bed was quite comfortable and the room was spacious. I will say the "bench" seating looks just adorable (sarcasm intended!) but is entirely worthless as seating. A small loveseat or two armchairs would be much more comfortable and practical.

We noticed there was no coffee pot in the room, as we have always had in past visits. It has been many years since we stayed in any hotel around the world that did not have a coffee maker. I called down to housekeeping to ask for a coffee pot, and they asked if we were a "gold member". I said no, but we are a "Total Rewards" member. Wrong answer! NO COFFEE POT FOR YOU! Sheesh, what a way to treat your guests and make them feel welcome. But I guess their coffee $hop$ make more money that way.

Upon returning to our room that night, we found a letter from the manager on our door, kindly letting us know there would be no hot water or heat after 10 am. They stated it would be back on at 5 a.m. the next morning. A couple of hours later, we received a phone message letting us know it would be 6 a.m, not 5 a.m.

We decided to have dinner at their buffet that evening--BAD CHOICE! For the $50 we paid, it was truly a disgusting experience. The salad bar was pretty awful, I tried 5 different salads, only one was remotely edible. The salad dressings looked like they had a "skin" over the top, not fresh at all. The prime rib was cold and tough. Macaroni and cheese??? They couldn't even manage to get that right. The dessert selection was pitiful, the apple cobbler was inedible--very strange tasting. The red velvet white chocolate chip cookies were delicious, though!

We woke the next morning to no hot water, no coffee, and the coffee shops were not open yet. Their restaurant was closed. I thought Vegas was a 24 hour city!

We checked out about 11 am--still no hot water and thus no shower!

All in all, a most unsatisfactory stay at The Flamingo, and it will certainly be our last.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Flamingo Las Vegas Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!