The wife and I stayed there a week in mid-September for a district attorneys conference. I'm about as uninsistant on luxury as they come, but this place was frankly nasty.
The rooms have a tacky pink fur type of motif with 1970's throw rugs; not fun Vegas kitchy tacky, but just cheap. The gap under the door to the adjoining room was litterally about a full inch; we had to stuff towels underneath the door to keep from clearly hearing everything said by guests in the other room (and vice-versa).
We were on the 21st floor, but still were woken every night by the next door cover band. Yes, Vegas is a 24/7 party, but that doesn't mean it should feel like you're crashing at a frat house.
The concierge desk couldn't be reached by phone at almost any time. When I finally got ahold of them (in person, for lack of option), it it was staffed by earnest and well-meaning, but frankly clueless, kids. We discovered better suggestions for things to do at night from the TV infomercial channel than this crew.
The worst part was the stench outside the room. The entire 100+ room corridor our room was on didn't smell of mold--it reeked! My wife put it best: "It smells like a swimming pool died here". :-P The pervassive mold odor persisted throughout the ENTIRE week!
Don't get me wrong: my wife and I had a WONDERFUL week in Vegas. The Flamingo--well, it is on the Strip after all. We'd merely role our eyes and chuckle over the poor accomodations that couldn't ruin an otherwise perfect week.
And then, the checkout scam.
The national group running our prosecutor's seminar had a deal with the Flamingo to comp seminar attendees for use of in-room internet and the hotel gym. Great. I explicitly mentioned when I checked in I was part of the group. "Yes sir, of course sir"! We were told by the orgazization guy running the seminar that some attendees were noticing internet and gym charges on their invoice, but don't worry as the Flamingo promised to square things when we checked out. Great again.
Then actual check out happened, and they flat out--and with amazing rudeness--refused to honor their comping these expenses. Even talking to the desk manager--who was the rudest of all!--didn't help. I pointed out my organization had a contract with the Flamingo: 'NO!' I noted i'd explicitly checked in as part of the seminar: 'NO!' I offered to show documentation of my being a seminar attendee: 'NO!' I left being screwed out of a nice chunck of change that took me several weeks and multiple hours of time through my credit card dispute office to get the money refunded (YAY JUSTICE! :-D), including sending my organization's contract to my credit card PROVING the Flamingo was in the wrong.
Sadly, it appears the original Strip hotel is now unwilling or unable to spend the money to update their shabby dilapiated dump to the 21st century, and have to chisel bucks out of their guests anyway possible.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- From the newly designed GO Rooms to a wealth of dining and entertainment choices, Flamingo proves "fabulous is forever." With classic Las Vegas style and flair, it continues to be one of the Strip’s most-visited resort destinations. Outside, guests enjoy acres of waterfalls, winding pools and lush foliage at the Lagoon Pool and Wildlife Habitat. For adults, the GO Pool is the destination for an afternoon of relaxation. Inside, enjoy performances ranging star siblings Donny & Marie to comedians George Wallace and Vinnie Favorito. Afternoon frivolity is found at Nathan Burton’s Comedy Magic while adult fun is staged nightly at X Burlesque, the Topless Review. Diners can enjoy go tropical at Jimmy Buffett’s Margaritaville or simply go all out at the Paradise Garden Buffet. Flamingo is also the home of the world's first Margaritaville Casino, a Parrothead paradise straight out of a Jimmy Buffett album. For those on the go, the new Flamingo Food Court hosts a variety of eateries from the all-American menu at Johnny Rockets to a taste of the Orient at Pan Asian Express. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ, Orbitz, EasyToBook, Odigeo, getaroom.com, Priceline, HotelsClick and Otel so you can book your Flamingo Las Vegas Hotel & Casino reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Flamingo Las Vegas Hotel Las Vegas
- Flamingo Las Vegas Hotel And Casino
- Flamingo Hilton Las Vegas
- Las Vegas Flamingo