“Flamingo is not what it used to be” 3 of 5 stars

Save up to 25% Off
Ranked #132 of 273 hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersSilver level
Wauwatosa, Wisconsin
“Flamingo is not what it used to be”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

My very first trip to Vegas in 1991 was at the Flamingo. Back then, Flamingo Hilton (it was Hilton branded back then) was one of the nicer Vegas hotels and it was a really nice place to stay. Since then we have stayed at many hotels on the strip /downtown from Casino Royale to THEHotel. We got a great deal for this trip which prompted us to choose the Flamingo.

Room:
We stayed in the updated Fab Luxury room. The room looked somewhat like the photo on the web site, but we had a garden view, not a view of the strip as the web site promotes. Regardless, the room was clean and in good repair. The thermostat did not seem to work properly and the room tended to be a little warm. I'm always cold, so for me to be warm, it was definitely not functioning properly. We had a nice size TV and the bed was comfortable. I thought the room was fine.
The bathroom on the other hand was not updated and needs to be painted / renovated.

Hallways:
Filthy carpeting, stained, buckling, holes, etc.. The first two nights, there were people running up and down the hall, extremely noisy and as we discovered the next morning, making a mess. A room service cart was thrown about and there were fragments of broken dishes strewn along the hall along with garbage and salt shakers had been emptied on the carpeting. There was a terrible odor near the elevators, like cat urine. Based on how the carpets looked, it might be safe to assume that's a regular occurrence.
Our room was really far from where we entered and far from the elevators so we took a really long stroll every time we went to / from the room. I don't mind the walk, I only mention this because we had occasion to see a LOT of carpeting and a lot of the hallway.

Public areas on the first level:
First floor casino area, check in, and stores were great. Clean, in good repair, nice buzz - busy but not over crowded. The public areas were as nice or nicer than I have seen in other casinos. We ate at Carlos and Charlies. It's a chain, so the experience was consistent and food was good. The garden area / flamingo habitat were very pretty and in good repair. The pool was closed for the season.

Parking:
We used self-park and usually ended up on the roof. The interesting thing is that the elevator does not go to the top floor of the structure, so if you park up there when checking in, you have to carry your bags down 1 floor to catch the elevator. The elevators were filthy. I'm pretty sure they have never washed the floors. The walls are covered with scratched graffiti. Not the most pleasant first impression. Despite that, we always found a parking space with no problem and the elevators worked.

Desk staff were friendly and seemed competent. Bell desk did a good job - they had to hold our bags because we arrived before 4pm check in. Workers in the shop were polite and pleasant. Wait staff were good.

Would we return to Flamingo? Only if we were comped. There are so many nice hotels to stay at for a comparable or better price, Flamingo would not be at the top of the list. It's a shame. Flamingo has great history, fantastic location, great casino / restaurant options, but the overall experience was not as nice as we have had at other hotels.

Room Tip: The web site is misleading and the upgraded rooms do not all have strip views. Try to request that...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

10,375 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,040)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
south london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

I have just returned from a weeks stay at the flamingo, I was a little worried about staying there as I had read all the bad reviews. I can honestly say I found nothing wrong with this hotel. Yes the carpets in th hallways are a little grubby but what can you expect with the amount of people walking up and down them, we had a room on the 10th floor overlooking the gardens, our room was a very generous size and although the bathroom was small it served its purpose, the shower was very powerful and hot water was plentiful. the hotel is centre strip so everything is accessible, we found the hotel staff very friendly and helpful, I would stay here again.

Room Tip: if you have any room preferences ask at check-in they are happy to help, also if you join Total rewa...
Rochester, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is in the best location on the strip. It's affordable and you have Cesar's palace a stones throw away, the Bellagio right down the road and pretty much all the hotels and casinos you would want to see within walking distance. The rooms were nice and the casino was well maintained. I loved the wildlife around the lot! The atmosphere at this hotel is very cool! The front desk workers were fun and helpful. The best part is there is a food court right down the road where you can grab a cheap meal anytime of day.

• Stayed January 2012
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012 via mobile

We traveled in a group of three couples. All Go rooms had king sized beds and had a view of the Bellagio which was great as you could see the fountains from the rooms. All parts of the premises were cleaned and all staff we dealt with were attentive and friendly. The rooms have been decently renovated and had all basic amenities including a coffee maker and bar fridge. The Flamingo offered great value and a pleasant stay.

• Stayed November 2012
San Antonio, Texas, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

We just stayed at The Flamingo from 11/25 - 28 and I've been debating over whether to post a re-re-review. This is our third stay in a Go room in just over 2 years and I know my judgement is clouded as we stayed three prior nights at the Rush Tower at Golden Nugget. Sadly, the Go room can't even come close, but it's not a fair comparison.

Going to a "Go" room from a Rush Tower room was like moving from a a NICE Hilton to a modest La Quinta. The two are not in the same category, but I'll try to be fair.

We were on the 19th floor, just down the hall from the Atrium elevators. Close enough for convenience, far enough to miss the big crowds at the main elevators up front, which meant no waiting in elevator lines. Also, we were high enough up to miss the road noise from LV Blvd. Location was perfect.

The room was ... spacious enough and the bed was amazingly comfortable. Big screen TV, coffee maker, refrigerator, DVD player, MP3 conections, TV in mirror in bathroom, ... lots of extras. In short, it was very comfortable and a GREAT deal. No, make that a FANTASTIC deal. $31 a night through cheapovegas website. (I am a scrounger for deals.) So for the price, it was actually better than I should have expected.

But here's the deal; The decor is just soooo .... Liberace. Pink, gold, white, patent leather, etc... Sorry Flamingo, but it's just a bit "Depeche Mode". (Translation - out of style). To be fair, at 4 am, who cares? And maintenance seems to be a bit lacking; Sink drained slowly, bathroom TV was sketchy, and the furniture is looking a little worn. The hallway carpets look pretty rough, but they're apparently clean, as they don't smell bad. And the elevators could REALLY use a little brass polisth.

The thng is, the location is perfect. It's almost dead center of the strip, you can get to valet from the front or miss the traffic and drive in from back alley off of Flamingo. The valets were (in my opinion) lightning fast and the only time we had to wait was when they were slammed with all four lanes filled.

Go out the back and through the parking lot and you're at the Bally's crosswalk. Harrah's is two doors down, Imperial Palace - uh I mean "The Quad" is ... gross. Don't go there. Cross LV Blvd and you're at Ceasars or Bellagio, and City Centre, Paris, etc...

On top of all of that, NO RESORT FEES!!! Resort fees are completely ridiculous. Personally, I won't stay at a resort that charges them - period, It's just a dishonest way of pumping up the rate.

If you're looking for a pristine, flawless, beautiful hotel room, the Flamingo may not be for you. If you want a great price, a great night's sleep and a great location - don't miss it. I'll almost certainly be back, but may try the Fab room next time.

Room Tip: If you want a good room, tip the check in person a 20. Put it in your paperwork and be discreet. T...
Whistler, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Wouldn't stay here again. The complaint everyone makes about check in is true. Such a long wait ... they have so many terminals available, but it's not staffed properly!! Could be WAY faster.
We upgraded our room in hopes that it would be nicer than the reviews we've read. It was updated, but the cleanliness wasn't very good. Stuff left over from previous guests, dusty, and not stocked properly. The little couch in the room, I wouldn't sit on it .... stained and marked up.
You can hear your neighbours .... one side was a TV left on, loud and the other side was a dog left alone barking!
We really liked the look of the pool area, and that is somewhat why we booked at this hotel. The pool was closed EVERYDAY we were there! It turned out that it wasn't really warm out anyways, but we just wanted to chill during the day and it wasn't an option at this hotel.
Service just wasn't there! Staff wasn't too pleasent ... The only upside was the location. But it's not worth it. Better options on the strip for the same price!

Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

My trip (Nov 24-27) was just my 23 year old son and me. We are both Las Vegas veterans (he has been 4 times since he turned 21 and 16 times overall) and we both talked about staying at the Flamingo since this was the very first property he stayed at when he was a bambino. So I booked the Flamingo for 3 nights. (Saturday-Tuesday). After looking at reviews I went for the Fab Luxury room. Luxury means there is a view of the strip. The price? $126 incl taxes. Yes, I booked it about 3 months in advance because I could not believe the price. Was I apprehensive? Of course. But here's how it went down: At check in there were about 40-50 people in line. I am a Total Rewards member (basic Gold Level) and there is a line for TR members for check in/out. I walked right up and was all checked in and headed up to our room within 10 minutes of getting in line. We were on the 22nd floor and yes, the carpets showed their age, but fortunately, I wasn't planning on sleeping on the carpet outside my room. We entered the room and could not have been more pleased. AMAZING view from Bellagio to the far left Caesars in the middle and Mirage to our far right. The decor was (of course) pinkish but not overly so. The furniture did have some chips (does this really bother people?). The beds were VERY comfortable. The bathroom was stone tile and I would give it 90 out of 100. NOISE: We were on floor 22 so the construction noise of The Linq next door was barely noticeable. I heard slight pounding on Sunday morning about 8am. My son heard nothing, so it was not a factor to us at all-just a heads up for those reading this. Dining: We ate at the breakfast brunch on Sunday and it was very good (for a breakfast). We also ate at Carlos n Charlies (8 out of 10) and Margaritaville (9.75 out of 10). Would I stay at the Flamingo again? YES! As a matter of fact I am planning my daughter's 21st birthday for a July celebration there!

Room Tip: Any room that has "Luxury" means a strip view. Although, the other option is a view of the...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Flamingo Las Vegas Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!