“"Excuse me, where are you folks from"” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$140 Golden Value Coupons
Ranked #80 of 269 Hotels in Las Vegas
A TripAdvisor Member
“"Excuse me, where are you folks from"”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2005

They get you walking into the casino, and walking to your elevator. They ask you where your from, and then try to get you to look at their timeshare information. That got old real quick. We stayed January 8th-January 10th, both my husbands and my first visit to Vegas. Stayed in downtown because of the price, I think next time, I'll pay a little more and stay on the Strip. The buffet was not good, there wasn't a selection, and of course the price was steep for what it was. The evening lazer light show right outside the hotel was neat to see. I heard the Golden Nugget's slots were tight, but we found them to be the best, in respect to the other nearby casino's, its also the nicest hotel in downtown, of what we saw. We took a taxi in for about $35 (including tip), thought it was high, considering how close the airport is, but since it was my first visit, I didn't know any better. Found out my instinct was right, when we took a taxi back to the airport for around $20. I would never rent a car though, the traffic on the Strip was nuts, parking expensive. We had dinner at Kokomo's at the Mirage, its not cheap, dinner for two cost $140, the salad was nothing special, but the dinner was great, but my husband and I were yelling at each other from across the table, since we couldn't hear each other with the waterfalls all around, so not intimate. As I'm sure all the other Vegas hotels are, I thought the Golden Nugget was a bit cheesy, the rooms were OK, an updated Ramada Inn, the view was of the parking lot, but the room was cheap, you get what you pay for. Check-in took a little bit, but we were there right at check-in-time. If you want to go sightseeing, stay at the Strip, for the money you pay in taxi fares (think there is a shuttle you can take, but never saw that) it evens out.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,695)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2005

it was a great place to stay, my sister and i stayed for 4 nites and had very guick check in and out time, the room was to far from the elavator but it was very nice and clean. the house keeping staff was very nice. it was a good walk to the casino but they had slot machines in the check in area not far from the rooms. the security there is fantastic. you couldnt go up to your room without showing a room key. i felt very safe there. and a couple of times when sitting by the doors to fremont street a couple of pan handlers came in and they were very descreetly asked to leave when they came and started talking to me. i am going back and i will stay there again.

Flower Mound, TX
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2005

We have been staying at this hotel for over 10 years and have had no complaints - until now. We were booked for a four night stay 12/30/04 - 1/3/05 and have decided that will be the last one for this hotel. First of all, we do not like to be hounded EVERYTIME we try to come out of our room by people at the elevators trying to sell magic beans. The food service was awful and the food wasn't much better. The casino was flat out dirty. Should you really have to ask for someone to come clean up the trash and wipe the machine consoles (sticky) off? And the best part - when we checked out we discovered that they had been nice enough to charge us twice for our stay!! That only took about 25 minutes to clear up. Looking back, the only thing that went well was housekeeping. If you do decide to stay there (and I do not suggest it) put your do not disturb sign on your door. We were still up with the roosters from them banging on the neighbor's door yelling HOUSEKEEPING.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2005

1. Checking in took forever.We were third in line and it took 45 minutes to get to the clerk. We were not alone in this respect. People in front of us and behind us were getting angry. The clerk did not allow in-room movies on our card unless we got out of bed and gave her our credit card again. Even an O.K. over the phone
was not acceptable. The same was true regarding charging meals to our room. We had to back to front desk and show them our credit card again.
2. When our in-room movies were finally approved, the TV set was faulty. The two repair men that came to fix it said that nothing could be done-the sets were old and should be replaced. They did get the set to work--for a time--by pounding on the side of the set with their
fists!
3. The Fremont Street Experience. What a ripp-off!
For $35 each we were allowed out of our hotel to
join the other celebrants at New Years. Two years ago while staying at the hotel we joined in the celebrations on Fremont street quite freely!

• Stayed January 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2005

It was my first visit to Las Vegas and all the reviews pointed towards staying at the Nuggett. Everyone there was very friendly from the desk clerk to bellman and housekeepers. Everyone had smiles on there faces and ready to please. Room service 24 hours a day. Only draw back(if no car) is the taxi to the strip which got a little expensive . From $8- $ 20 a trip. Did take the bus a few days for $ 2.00 . My room were clean and tidy A little smaller that expected but very nice.
and food was great. Most of all,hotel was not crowded and was able to get a lot of individual attention. A great retreat after spending time on the strip. A little smaller that expected but very nice.
Great value for a 4 star hotel would definately go back without a doubt.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2005

My Travel Agent warned me but I did'nt listen. The accomodations are acceptable but the staff at the working level was uninterested and uncaring.

I made the mistake of trying to cash some slot returns in at the "Cashiers counter" where six people were standing around with their thumbs up thier butts, I was nastily sent away to the Change counter next to it where there was one person and a long line.

I then made the horrid mistake of inquiring at the buffet at 9:45 if I could still have dinner as the place said it closed at 10 PM. I was told by a lady with a pained expression that I could pay for it but they would take the food away at 10. There were others in line behind me who were in a state of disbelief, we all went down the street to eat and gamble.

These are only two of several stories I can tell about the Golden Nuggets lack of interest in providing customers with a positive experience. And a word of caution, the folks in the main hall from the hotel to the casino who offer you free perks for staying there.... they are shills trying to trick you into visiting one of thier real estate developments. Just keep walking. The Nugget is a two star hotel with a one star staff.

San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2004

Word of Warning....

1. Pre-booked, prepaid non-smoking reservations don't guarantee you such a room. Check in early, reconfirm at least once.

2. There IS a non-smoking floor in the North Tower(4th Floor). North Tower is where you want to be for better rooms and location.

3. Seating at the Carson Street Cafe is convoluted, archaic process. The Buffet line the same. Despite the ad the waiter don't always sing at Stefanos.

4. Use your privacy hangtag on your door or get awaken daily at 8 am by housekeeping.

5. The TV Movies are overpriced and the in-room Internet barely works.

6. The hot babes you saw in the TV show the Casino are only to be found at the front desk. And a a strip club or bordello nearby.

The GOOD
Geordie Brown is an amazing performer. There arfe a few terrible seats so arrive early.

The Lounge features good talent

ZAX is a welcome refuge of poshness, fine eats and friendly service.

All of the staff are friendly and welcoming.

Their package deal is a bargain.

Side Excursions
$10.99 Steak and Lobster plus old fashiond breakfasts across Fremont St. at Binions in the historic downstair cofee shop.

Great Microbrew at Main Street station(2 blocks away)and at Chicago Brewing Company in the Four Queens(next door).

High-priced, Outstanding Quality Food at Hugos in the Four Queens.

Classic Diner with character at the Golden Gate.

Been to Golden Nugget Hotel? Share your experiences!