“Terrific Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #80 of 269 Hotels in Las Vegas
Mount Dora, Florida
“Terrific Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

Our daughter reserved rooms at the Golden Nugget using a great deal she discovered on Groupon. I read the TA reviews of the hotel and had some concerns, particularly since our rooms where in the less desirable Carson Tower. My concerns were completely unnecessary. From the minute we arrived until we left we had the quintessential Las Vegas experience.

When we drove up to the hotel valet parking immediately took charge of our vehicle, while the bell hops emptied the car and put everything on luggage carts. Registration was completed in an instant, and we arrived at our room only a few minutes before our luggage was delivered.

Our room was absolutely lovely. There was nothing about this property that we felt required any changes or up-dating. We appreciated the huge size of the room. The beds were very comfortable, and the bathroom was elegant with thick towels and quality amenities.

The public areas of the hotel were, in typical Las Vegas fashion, over the top, and we loved every blown glass chandelier, and rich carpet. It was exactly what we would have expected in a Las Vegas property.

While the weather was not conducive to using the swimming pool, we could see that it would be a terrific attraction for our young grandson. I was worried about residual cigarette smoke, but our room was completely smoke free, and our journey through the public areas and the casinos was not unpleasant. We would prefer a smoke-free property, but the Golden Nugget was not bad.

We ate two meals at the hotel. On our first night we enjoyed an excellent meal in the Asian restaurant, where the food was excellent and the service superior. It was well worth the price. We also went to the breakfast buffet. I was less impressed with the buffet, and particularly unhappy that our seven year old grandson was charged as an adult. He ate three bites of egg, and we paid nearly $20 for his meal. Still the food was eatable, and you cannot beat a buffet for swift delivery of food.

I was most impressed with the service of this hotel. The valet service was terrific. It is the epitome of luxury to me to have someone else manage my luggage and park my car. A mere telephone call insured that our car was available whenever we needed it. Our luggage was managed efficiently. The rest of the staff was equally accomplished and efficient. Our maid service was excellent. The staff at the registration desk were personable and efficient.

I enjoyed being off the strip and near the Fremont Street Experience. It felt more like old and authentic Las Vegas, and it involved much less walking between attractions than we would have experienced on the strip itself.

I would not hesitate to stay in this outstanding hotel, and I am comfortable recommending it to my family and friends.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Amy C, Public Relations Manager at Golden Nugget Hotel, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Thank you for your excellent review of the Golden Nugget! I'm happy to hear that you experienced great customer service while you were here. Please come back with your grandson when the weather warms up so you can enjoy the pool! We look forward to having you back!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,694)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Williamsburg, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

From the title of this review it should be clear that I am NOT a fan of Las Vegas. I have had to come here a number of times of the years for various meetings, and the last three times have stayed at the Golden Nugget. This trip I was in the Rush Tower and my room was quite nice - good sized, wonderful mattress, large bathroom, everything was new and in good shape. However, my room faced Fremont Street, which was horrible. Granted, most people coming to Las Vegas probably wouldn't care about this since they'd be out of their rooms at midnight, but I was not and beginning at 6 PM through Midnight, there was progressively louder music playing. I was on the 24th floor and could still feel the bass and drums. If it wouldn't have been such a pain and my stay short I would have asked to change rooms to the other side of the tower. It truly felt and sounded like Bon Jovi and The Who were playing in my room.

My other problem with the Golden Nugget is the smoke. I have been in hotels in the Strip and perhaps because most of them are considerably newer than the Nugget (with better air circulation systems) I never felt like I was constantly walking through a thick cloud of smoke. It starts from the second you walk in the door and the only place I couldn't catch at least a whiff of smoke was in my sleeping room. I know they'll never make the casino and public space non-smoking, but if you are bothered by smoke BEWARE. It even affects several of the dining outlets including The Buffet up on the second floor. I couldn't even give The Grotto or The Grille a try because they're right by or in the Casino.

That being said, the staff is friendly as I said my room in Rush Tower was quite nice - just ask for one that NOT on the Fremont Street side if you want to sleep!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

Mixed review- staff and hotel very different reviews.

We have stayed here many times and when we found that they were offering a package that included a room for 2 nights and party that included a four course dinner, we thought we'd try. There were 2 different packages- the Carson Tower for $549 or the Rush Tower for $629. When wanted the Rush Tower but they were sold out. We decided to still book a Carson Tower because we were told that we could keep calling back to see if a Rush Tower room opened up. If it did, the reservationist told us that we would just be charged the difference in the package price.

We called everyday asking if rooms had opened up and 4 days before, they finally said that they were able to get us the Rush room. We were excited and ready for a great NYE. We get to the hotel and we were not only charged the package price difference but $100 per night! The front desk staff called reservations but the supervisor was not available. Whoever she spoke to told her that my reservation had a note to charge me $100 per night. She then proceeded to tell me that I would have to call reservations because now it was "he said, she said" situation and there was nothing she I could do. I wasn't going to argue, I told her that I would call them back. She continued to check me in, answering the phone 2 times instead if giving me her full attention and chatting with other staff. So at this point, customer service gets a 1 star.

We get to our room, which the Rush Tower is very nice. After renovations about 3 years ago, the whole decor, comfort is very nice. We head down to the NYE party which was very nice- food was good and the entertainment was entertaining. The only compliant I would have is that the tables and people were packed in like sardines. Part of the Rush Tower NYE package was to have priority seating. Our priority seating was to be seated three-fourths of the way in the back,up against a wall where the servers had to keep moving between us and the table. Our servers were phenomenal and the food was delicious! We up at a great table and had a great time. Hotel room and event staff get a 4 star.

Now comes the time to contact reservations to get price issue taken care of. I call reservations to speak to the supervisor and when I asked for her, I was put on hold while they transferred me to her. Only, I didn't get transferred to her, I was simply told that since I had already checked out, I would have to call accounts payable and that reservations could do nothing about it. Now getting more frustrated, I was transferred to AP and got a message that they were busy helping customers and to leave a message they would return. Still no call and this issue has still not been resolved.

As I have stated, we have stated here many times, in all of the room- Carson, Gold and Rush. Really like the Rush Tower. Pretty disappointed by the customer service that we experienced this stay.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for providing feedback on your New Year's Eve stay. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your Rush Tower room and our spectacular New Year's Eve party. I apologize about the poor customer service that you received as it sounds like there was some confusion in our reservations department. Please email me at publicrelations@goldennugget.com with your name and room number so that I can straighten out your charges for you.
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I just returned from the GN where we stayed Jan. 2-5. For reference, we make 2-3 trips to Vegas a year and we always stay at the GN-Rush Tower. In fact my wife and her family have been coming to the Vegas and to the GN for 30 years. We are both healthy eaters (cereal, egg whites, oatmeal, fruit for breakfast, etc.) and have always enjoyed the Carson Street Cafe for breakfast. However, we were disappointed to learn when we arrived that the Carson Street Cafe was closed several months back and according to several staff members is being replaced by a Cadillac Bar and some other restaurant. As a result of the closure, we ended up leaving the GN all three mornings because there were no healthy eating options on property.

We are seriously considering finding another place to stay the next time we go to Vegas. In fact, we really liked the brand new Downtown Grand, as it is very nice and has a non-smokey casino floor. Plus, they have a great place to order breakfast.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback regarding breakfast. While I understand the inconvenience of having the Cafe closed, we do have a wonderful new Claim Jumper restaurant that will hopefully open soon and offer plenty of delicious breakfast choices. In the interim, we are offering breakfast at Grotto, The Grille and through Room Service. We hope you'll give us another try once the Claim Jumper opens.
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

We were planning on staying on the outskirts of Vegas, but found a great deal here for a Sunday night Carson Tower room. Room was large, well appointed, clean, and had a nice view. The furnishings were amusing because they seemed new but the style quite outdated. Didn't use the pool but it looked nice. Also the parking situation was annoying because the self-park garage had the "FULL" sign lit, but once we decided to go in anyway found out there was a ton of space. So wasn't a big issue, but caused unnecessary stress. We were in the middle of a road trip, and had no interest in the free valet with a car full of our belongings. Marked down the service rating because the Carson Tower desk was stupidly closed at 5 PM, and I had to wait in line a while at the other desk.

Surprise, Arizona, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

I stayed at the Golden Nugget several years ago. The rooms were well maintained and the hotel was a great value, We recently went back to this grand hotel and found that the rooms in the Carson Tower are in need of some care. Other (newer towers would put the price of the hotel on par with newer properties in the more popular area of Vegas on the "strip."

We paid an additional fee to ensure that we received the type of room we requested. This "VIP" fee cost an additional $29 for the entire stay and ensured that we would get a king bed in a non-smoking room. The card also promises that the customer would go to the head of a line at a variety of venues. The VIP card did give us the room promise, but as for the VIP treatment at restaurants, you merely wait on another line that moves slowly.

We did get the room we asked for, a king bed in a non-smoking room. The room however had holes in the wall, a loud heater/air conditioner, a bathtub that would not drain (and not repaired after two calls to the hotel) and a bathtub with rotted caulking. The hotel told us that the Carson Tower was their older property, but being a 4-star hotel, you would think it would be well-cared for...it was not. Although the bed was comfortable, it appeared as if the hotel was trying to sell it to their customers, Every night the room attendant put a sign on the bed indicating that the bed was for sale...somewhat odd.

Room Tip: If you are planning a trip to Las Vegas and want to stay in the Fremont area, consider spending the...
Port Hueneme, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

After a poor experience last July 2013 and not complaining, we stayed in the Gold Tower 23-28 December for one last chance. After over 25 years of supporting the GN through all of her changes and owners have decided the current owner(s) are ruining the place. Staff as always very wonderful folks but if you get a chance to ask them about the subtle disgusting changes - they immediately concur. Door handle at entrance was missing, carpet runners of once elegant entryway were worn at the steps and quite dirty. Once through the doors the smell of smoke from the casino is immediately noticed (NEVER before). VIP check-in great and worth the price. No longer do you see hotel personnel at the Gold Tower elevators - anyone can and does have access to the upper floors. Used to be you had to show a room key to go upstairs. Room was clean, towels have been changed to the cheaper variety - our mattress was worn, and you could read a book through a few of the sheets. Hairs in the tub - not ours, caulking missing in multiple places, fan didn't work in the bathroom, sink chipped and the bathroom door handle was loose on the inside. Room service - nothing but Italian food - because they have closed the Carson Street Cafe. If you want anything other than Italian - you must wait until 1030 at night for the late night menu to kick-in. The GN used to be a class act and perhaps if you haven't frequented over the past many years you might not notice how the current owners have brought a certain cheapness to the once grand dame. This is a resort - I expect the $10 in-room coffee, the $7 bottle of water but I don't expect the smells and sights as in this past visit. Landry's needs to reward its ever amazing, always cheerful staff at the GN because they are the ones listening to the complaints and working their tails off to make right from wrong. There isn't one employee in that hotel who could look me in the eye and not tell me the place hasn't changed for the worse. Sure it's all about the money, business IS business but somehow quit expanding, control yourselves put some effort into the original GN I'm sure Mr. Wynn would do it!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Golden Nugget Hotel? Share your experiences!