“Great Location, Beautiful Environment” 4 of 5 stars

Golden Nugget Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   129 East Fremont Street, Las Vegas, NV 89101   |
Ranked #77 of 273 hotels in Las Vegas
Sarnia, Canada
“Great Location, Beautiful Environment”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Me wife and I stayed over the Christmas weekend and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The place was beautiful. First time in Vegas and we found good value for the money at this hotel. We stay in the Rush Tower on the VIP floors as an upgrade. Well worth the extra costs for what we got especially when you consider the 4 buffet vouchers they gave us as comp for small issue with the room. (which they addressed immediately) Wow what a cool pool are and the shark tank is amazing. Excellent customer service from everyone and the restaurant meals were very good as well. only negative was we found the GN casino to be very smoky compared to other ones we went into.

5,560 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,372)
  • Polish first
british columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

Pros- location , pool.

Cons - service is subpar if have problems with room.

We had to work very hard to get room issues addressed - Management did give us upgrade in the end , though only after many , many dealings with staff etc. Overall felt a genuine , honest expression of service lacking.

• Stayed December 2012
alberta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Christmas time this year at the Golden Nugget which was decorated with gorgeous huge poinsettas, lovely figurines of polar bears, reindeer and elves etc and tree branches all lit up in red and white lights , so it had a christmas feeling throughout the hotel
We stayed in the Carson tower which was in the older section of the hotel but it really was a clean room , one of the largest hotel rooms I have stayed in, with a lovely large comfortable bed and a decent sized bathroom with a rainshower type shower head and also a large flat screen tv for anyone who wanted to watch tv while in Vegas
Personnel at the hotel and the casino were very helpful whenever we needed help and in fact we were talking with a maintenance man there and heard him get a call to go help a lady who needed her glass frames straightened out !! NOW THAT IS SERVICE

In my opinion the Golden Nugget is the best hotel on Freemont Street,money wise and location wise , a bus can be caught right across the street to get to the Northern Outlet mall,other buses are very close just a few streets away to take you to the strip.

For those who are not completely gambling orientated and like to see attractions in Vegas don't miss the Mob Museum which is located in the old court building and is a very short walk away from the Golden Nugget, only a two block walk. This is an excellent way to spend about 2-3 hours of your time . It is one of the best priced displays to check out only 19.95 plus tax and has three floors of very interesting history on the mob and how Vegas has developed and changed over the years
This display also has the original ST Valentines massacre wall on display which was previously owned by a man in Vancouver but when he passed away the museum was able to get the wall for their displays

As many others have stated , I did not feel the hotel should charge for internet connection, also the 7.00 bottle of water and the expensive Krups room coffee did not impress me but on the whole the hotel is a good bargain and it is much less crowded than staying on the strip

when you want to visit the strip and fight the crowds it is very easy to get a Duece bus which is a double decker bus or the express bus which has less stops , mind you the express bus has the driver all behind glass and you are not able to really ask the bus driver questions, the Duece bus
has information being stated over the intercom all the time plus displays the stops so you know when and where to get off well ahead of your stop
If I remember correctly a 24 hour pass is 8.00 a person and a 2 hour pass is 6.00 a person

I gambled at the hotel and it is well worth to get their gambling card as I received 4 free buffets , and 16.00 back and I did not get the card when I first came so could have had more comps if I had got it right away

I found the food very good and maybe a bit more than some other hotels on Freemont and there was definitely cheaper food on Freemont if you are someone who wants to take their life in their hands and eat cheap hot dogs , etc where you might end up sitting on the great white telephone for your trip !!

The Nugget have a nice Italian Restaurant called the Grotto with excellent service and very good food which is priced like a medium priced Italian restaurant , the cafe has decent prices for all kinds of regular food and they have a good buffet upstairs which cost about 8.00 for breakfast and 11.00 for lunch custom made omelets, pancakes, eggs benedict, all the breakfast items, plus fruit , pastries etc etc and includes drink VERY GOOD FOOD !!

for the bit extra it costs was fine with me but you can go across to Freemont and get things a bit cheaper if you like

HELLO MANAGER, THE ONE THING I WOULD LIKE TO SEE IS A COUPLE OF BENCHES OUT WHERE THE SHUTTLE STOP IS SO WHEN THEY ARE LATE THERE IS SOMEWHERE TO SIT AND WAIT FOR THEM TO ARRIVE
ALSO THE FANS IN THE HEATER/AIRCONDITONERS SHOULD BE REGULARLY OILED AS THEY ARE QUITE LOUD WHEN IN USE

Overall this is a very nice, inexpensive hotel to stay in with some great attractions like the shark tank etc so enjoy your stay and if in a Carson room , if your flight leaves late you can pay 25.00 and check out at 5 pm

Dripping Springs, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

We enjoyed our stay at the Golden Nugget. The renovations and updating they did were very nice. The staff was helpful and friendly. We had a Jr. Suite and it was large and confortable. The decor was relaxing and tasteful. If we go again I think it would be worth the upgrade to the next level. A lot of the things we had to pay extra for are included and would have been worth it. We had to pay for coffee in the rooom-we didn't make any. To use the gym you had to pay $20/day if you weren't getting any spa services. The gym was adequate but not worth that money. There was no mini-fridge in the room which was a bit inconvenient.
The location was great for the Fremont Street experience but a hassle if you wanted to go to the strip. We took the Deuce bus most of the time-$8/day. The price was great but it took almost an hour to get to the Strip. A taxi there cost $40 each way so we opted to save money most of the time. We didn't feel like renting a car. Traffic was crazy and we didn't feel like messing with it. We did a lot of walking-make sure you wear comfortable shoes.
We didn't spend a lot of time in the casino but it was what you'd expect. Go ahead and join the 24 K club. It doesn't cost anything and gives you some free casino money.
Overall we enjoyed our stay. It felt like old Las Vegas which we enjoyed. A little smaller and less hectic that the Strip. They did a good job bringing it up to what we expect in a hotel today.

Room Tip: Spend a little extra for the VIP rooms.
El Cajon, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

My husband and I just returned from a stay between Christmas and New Years and had dinner in the Carson Grill within the hotel. Unfortunately my husband became deathly ill overnight this week from food poisoning and this required us to seek local medical attention in Las Vegas which was not great but that's another review. I tried to talk to the hotel about the situation as we had to stay and extra night so my husband could be stabalized enough to go back home.

This extra night was a Friday night which meant a higher price than we had paid the prevous two night but when I told them about the food poisioning they did give us the room for the same price. That was the oone of two only plus things about the stay.

The in room coffee is a four-pack for a coffee maker and there is a sticker saying guests will be charged $10 to us it. There is a bottle of "designer" drinking water that has a $7 sticker on it if used. We went out to one of the stores on Freemont Street and bought our own drinking water and did not use the coffee maker. I would like to know how many other guests do the same thing.

The houskeeping lady was understanding and when I told one that my hsuband was convelescing in the room she gave me extra towels, TP, etc., and even set the telephone to not disturb us.

Regarding the food poisioning we were told that we would have to file an incident report with hotel security and they would turn it in to hotel risk management for evaluation. This sounds like nothing but an attempt to disregard these complaints and sure sounds like government! I asked if the third night could be comped since it was caused by the hotel dinner, but they would not do that. If they had made an effort to take care of this problem, I probably would not be here writing this review!

We have stayed at other downtown hotels and never were charged for any of these extra items in the rooms. I can't help but wonder if the Golden Nugget is a ripoff to guests as several other downtown hotels offer a variety of reasonably priced items. Yes, a hotel is a business that needs to make money to exist but there are certain things that leave a bad taste in one's mouth and those have been described here. I am waiting for them to charge for the air we breathe within the hotel. I doubt we will stay there again if we return to Las Vegas.

Room Tip: The sleep quality was excellent as the hotel has a specially made mattress in the room and they did...
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

We stayed in a regular room of the Carston Tower, where rooms have not been recently renovated.
Our room was, however, very nice and comfortable. Except for the carpet that could use renewal, everything was perfect. The room was big, with a giant bed (they say it's a king, but it's the biggest king I've ever seen...), a large bathroom, and everything was perfectly clean. My only complaints are that there was no blow dryer, and everything has to be paid for (coffee in the room, water bottle, wi-fi, etc...) but that's how things work in Vegas, and at least, there's no resort fee here!

We felt really good at this hotel and casino, it's lively but not as crowded as the Strip, the property is beautiful with the shark tank and entertainment areas, and the gaming was good.
I would definitely go again.

Calgary, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

There were a lot of cheapr places to gamble on freemont but the nugget wasn't that great. they really seem to gauge people whever they can- $8 for a bottle water in the room, $20/day for the gym, $1 connection fee per local call and $12.99/day to get wi-fi for one device. I definately wouldn't stay on freemont unless gambling is your main reason for going down. You don't have the architecture or the glitz and glamour of the Strip hotels, there is NOTHING to do at the hotels accept gamble (i.e. no other exhibits like the dolphin adventure or Bodies at the Strip hotels) and there are only a few low caliber shows. My room was very basic and we had a lot of issues our tv didn't work for a day, our phone wasn't making outside calls for a day and it took 3 calls to the front desk to access movies.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Golden Nugget Hotel? Share your experiences!