“Bed Bugs” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #78 of 272 Hotels in Las Vegas
Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin
“Bed Bugs”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

During my recent stay at the Golden Nugget in Las Vegas, we had an enjoyable time...right up until we returned home to find that I had received around 15 bed bug bites. These bites began to itch and worry me after a couple of days. I called the hotel to report the incident, and was referred to their "risk management" department. They advised me that there had not been any other reports of bed bugs, and asked me if I might have contracted them on the airplane. On the airplane? Really?
I advised them that my bites were all over my legs and lower back, and their reply was that they could not find any evidence of bed bugs. Imagine my surprise that a hotel would not admit it had bed bugs. I advised them that I would report this on TripAdvisor.com. The risk management employee told me to be careful about what I wrote...so that I would not be prosecuted for libel. Sad.
It's an otherwise very good hotel with great rates. However, this whole nonsense could have been avoided with a credit for our room costs and an assurance that they had cleaned the room, so that I would feel good about reporting the incident and keeping others from the embarassment of bed bugs. Seems simple enough.
I'm surprised that the Golden Nugget didn't handle this entire concern with greater tact and ease. When a customer calls to report bed bugs...believe them. Especially a former travel writer who only wanted to do the right thing.
When I feel that my concern is being suppressed, my only recourse is to voice the concern for other potential customers. If there was an infestation, I hope they have cleaned it. Whatever the case, their handling of my report was less than adequate and should be addressed by management.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,527)
  • Polish first
Northern VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

This place is awesome. Full service hotel with lots of room options, and all the amenities you would want from a strip hotel. I love the Fremont area but am afraid to stay in the other hotels down there. fortunately this place is great!

I'd go for the Rush Tower Junior Suites! They are the newest and best value IMO

Room Tip: Rush tower jr suites are nice and new!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

We stay sveral times a yr.
The best place to stay downtown period , and if you plan to swim really the only downtown hotel worth doing that .

The shark tank and waterfall is beautiful and relaxing .

Yes in the summer months it gets crowded, but nothing stops one from going at 8 am when the area opens (actual swimming not allowed till 10 am). You can take a book or paper to read and get your lounge chair , then you have it .

Many people do this.I undersatnd that some people do not care to do this, but am just stating it is not impossible to get cahirs you just have to be willing to sit it out for a couple hrs or take your cahnces on getting one later .

As for the review that mentioned the 10 dollar coffee and 7 dollar bottle of water- this is not anything unusual at all.
The majority of hotels have these rediculous priced items available.It is actually just absurd .
We bring our own coffee maker and set it up and our own botlted water.
And if we run short Walgreen's just a few block down is excellent to get what you need without paying highway robbery.
I have mentioned before my only negative is the time share people bugging you eveytime you walk past which is a lot if you stay in the Carson Tower because you have to pass them in and out.

I can put up with that because the GN always has clean rooms.And having stayed in some places that i will never go back because of cleanliness reasons, I never have to worry about it at GN
I have never beemnvery lucky on the slots there , but then again in general I am not lucky on slots .

Thye have a nice variety of fun slots to play and if I cant win on them I at lest want to have fun playing .

We will be returning again this fall and I cant wait !!

Room Tip: IF you ask for one close to the elevators you will have a much shorter walk if that is important to...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012 via mobile

Only stayed one night and really didn't even sleep.
Perfect spot to chill with the downtown crowd.
Only two cons
way too many people and the
a/c in room was struggling. I wish they would have had it on full blast so it would have been cooled down when we arrived.
LOVED the free drink coupons and the TANK pool.

OVERALL we would stay there again. Love the historic vibe of the place!

• Stayed July 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

We stayed in a Carson Tower Deluxe room on the 15th floor. Other then check in taking about 20 minutes because there was only one person at the desk, and a sales associate at another desk trying to give away "free dinner and show tickets", I have no complaints! I loved this hotel. It was clean, had all of my favorite slot machine games, and had a great pool area. The rooms were spacious and the beds were comfortable, and I loved that parking was free. I prefer staying on the old strip because it is less crowded, and still offers plenty to do. We are already planning another trip, and the Golden Nugget is where we will be staying!

Room Tip: Carson Tower Deluxe rooms are perfectly fine, but no view.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Land O Lakes, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

I have stayed here several times, and I go visit when I'm not! I love sitting at the pool/aquarium area to people and fish watch. There is a nice tube slide for all of us kids! Good food in the buffet, good entertainment, and Fremont Street is right out the door to enjoy the nightly 'Experience'. Just get up in the morning with your tablet, walk down to Dunkin Donuts to get your coffee, and catch up on life in the quiet. There are shops, great buffets and restaurants within a short walk. Of the 3 towers, I have to say Rush is my favorite. It is the newest and most 'hip'. Views are great on the higher floors, and the new restaurant is a plus. Even if you are in the oldest tower, the rooms are very good! In the lobby you can get discounted tickets to nearly everything happening in Vegas. The biggest (I think) nugget of gold in the world is on display here, dug locally. This is the past combined with a little new, and I love 'old Vegas'. I think it is safe to mention, when the rodeo is in town, the cowboys are here!

Room Tip: If you can spend a little extra, take book the newer Rush Tower.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for 3 nights and feel in love with this place. Tons of things to do including a night club, stores, and spa. The staff was super friendly, courteous, and helpful. It is about 5 miles from the strip so if you don't have a car going back and fourth to the strip can be expensive when taking a cab unless you take the bus which actually wasn't so bad. I would stay here every time I go to Vegas. The pool was amazing they even have an adult area with a bar and plenty of tanning room. Located in Fremont so you get to experience The Freemont Experience week night! Stay Here! Oh and the view was amazing from the 20th floor in the Carlson tower. I woke up and was looking at mountains. I'm from the south so I had never seen them. Absolutely breathtaking!

• Stayed June 2012

Been to Golden Nugget Hotel? Share your experiences!