“Good hotel for the classic Vegas downtown experience.” 4 of 5 stars

Golden Nugget Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   129 East Fremont Street, Las Vegas, NV 89101   |
Ranked #72 of 274 hotels in Las Vegas
NY area
“Good hotel for the classic Vegas downtown experience.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

Room was clean, spacious, well appointed and good value for money. Nice choice of restaurants and bars, although the poolside margaritas were disappointing. The pool and fish tank are lots of fun. Check in was simple and the lobby is attractive, but it was very crowded and huge -- lots of walking just to get to your room and out of the building. Room was quiet. Charge for internet -- I hate that.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

5,540 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,297)
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

The Golden Nugget isn't the most posh place in Vegas, but it's a nice place that is next to Freemont Street. The staff was very helpful and I found the guests to be down to earth and not pretentious. So here are my pros and cons;

Pros
Clean Hotel
Room was clean
Guests aren't pretentious
Easy access to Freemont Street (Great People Watching)
Awesome Shark Tank at the Pool with really big sharks
Has a Pool for 16 and above but it comes at a cost
Water slide for the kids
Good gambling
Car Rental in the lobby
Two Starbucks in the hotel
Coupons for two for one breakfast
Bus stop for Strip is close

Cons
Not close to the strip
Have to take the bus to the strip
Food around there wasn't that great (Went to eat on the Strip every night)
Carson Tower rooms weren't great, but they weren't terrible

Suggestions
The Casino next door called 4 Queens has a Tix4Tonight booth, go there to get discounted show tickets and meals.

See Carrot Top on the Strip, I thought he was terrible before I saw him, now I think he is awesome!

If you are without children try the Hideaway Pool

Meal portions are huge at the Golden Nugget Restaurant, so you can split meals and still be full
Try the Golden Nuggett Nachos

Do take the Bus to the strip, try to take the Express bus and not the Deuce. The Deuce stops at every hotel

Don't venture too far off Freemont Street, I didn't feel safe

Do try single deck Black Jack

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

I enjoyed the location and the GN is the best hotel in that area. Pool was great crowded lots of kids but that is what having the water slide will do. Enjoyed the adult pool upstairs a little small though. The only downside was no free wifi.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Columbus
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

I just stayed at Golden Nugget for 4 nights with my husband. We've been to Vegas several times but have always stayed on the Strip; this was our first time staying downtown. We arrived around 7:30 on a Tuesday night and there was no line to check in. I'd booked a Rush room but showed my Landry's Select card at check in and was upgraded to a Rush Tower Corner Jr. Suite, which was an unexpected bonus. There was a separate entryway, a large bathroom with two sinks, a separate toilet, a deep soaking tub, and a really nice showerhead. The room had a super comfortable king bed and a sitting area, and two flatscreen TVs. We had windows on two walls, overlooking downtown on one side, and the pool area on the other. Our room was quiet and comfortable and stayed very dark with the curtains drawn, so it was easy to get a good night's sleep. Maid service came quickly each day - even if we were only out of the room for an hour, it had been cleaned when we returned.

The pool area was very nice although the lounge chair situation could be a bit frustrating - all the chairs would be "reserved" before the pool had even opened, even though saving chairs is not supposed to be allowed. If you were lucky enough to snag a lounge chair, they were actually really comfortable. I'd recommend getting a lounge at the Hideout (the adult pool) if you visit during pool season so that way you know you've got somewhere to lie, no matter what time you come down. The Hideout was also nice because there were no screaming, splashing kids....although there were lots of screaming, splashing, drunk adults, so it's a toss-up as to which is worse!

We enjoyed the casino even though the layout was a bit confusing at first. Most of the dealers we had were very friendly, although a few were not (well, really just one in particular). We didn't do too much eating at the hotel but we did have dinner at the Grotto one night, which was very good and fairly reasonably priced. There are two Starbucks on premise (which is good because a 4-pack of Keurig cups in the room costs $10).

In general, I liked staying downtown, especially being so hot out, because much of downtown is covered by a canopy. The casinos are also much closer to one another than they are on the Strip, so it's a lot easier to wander from place to place. All in all, we had a great stay at Golden Nugget and would certainly return if the price is right.

Lancaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

We were on our honeymoon & stayed on the 21st floor of Rush Tower. The room was very well appointed and we had clean sheets & towels every day even if we had remade the bed & hung the towels up. Take your own tea & coffee as it is expensive in the room. A short walk out of the hotel & there was plenty of free entertainment every evening in the Freemont Experience.
Food in the hotel was good, we had a couple of breakfasts there and a couple of evening meals. We did also eat at a couple of other casinos on Freemont Street, the quality of the food was very similar to at the Nugget. We had very good service & found the staff to be very polite, friendly & willing to help. If we ever return to Vegas we would definitely stay at the GN again in the Rush Tower.

Room Tip: We stayed in 21205 in Rush, overlooked the mountains & Freemont Street. Could watch the sunrise...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
San Antonio, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

Let me start by saying the GN was a really nice hotel and I would probably stay there again but when I start weighing the pros and cons, some how the cons outweighed the pros. My whole family (and when I say my "whole" family I mean exactly that--it was 19 of us) stayed at the GN and we all had different issues. I'm going to speak specific to my issues:

1) When I made reservations I requested a non smoking double room. When we arrived they didn't have any non smoking double rooms in the Carson Tower, only king non smoking. I asked if I could upgrade to the Gold or Rush Towers, only to be told they didn't have ANY non smoking double rooms available for Saturday. The rep at the desk said they would have what we requested the next day. So, we had to take a king bed and get a roll away bed. We were told all we needed to do was call the front desk the next morning and we would be moved to another room. They also told us we didn't need to worry about moving our luggage because bell service would take care of it. The next morning we called the front desk and they said they don't have anything yet but to call back in an hour. 3 hours later they finally got us a non smoking double room, but we had to go move our own luggage because bell service was backed up with the people checking out.

2) After finally getting settled in another room, we noticed the AC wasn't getting cold and it was noisy. The room was some what cool, but after being in the Vegas heat, going thru the casino, all the way to the other end of the hotel to get to the Carson Towers, we expected the room to at least be cool.

3) The Tank, which is the swimming pool, was packed at all times. If you didn't arrive at 9am then you basically had to stand around until someone left. This wasn't so much of an issue for me because GN has one of the nicest pools. We took our 3 children to the pool 3 times during our stay and there was always someone there wasted and talking loudly. Some of the adults were rude and wanted to basically take over the water slide, pushing children to the back. They only had one security guard at the pool with hundreds of adults drinking, so go figure.

4) BE AWARE OF WHAT THEY ARE CHARGING YOU. We were in Vegas 5 days so when I went online to check my credit card balance and saw $902.58 for the GN I almost flipped. Granted, we go on vacation every year so I know hotels normally hold an additional amount but this was ridiculous when our total bill should have been $355.92. I called the front desk and was told they hold an additional $100 per day for incidentals. I told her no one explained that when I checked in and no one even asked if I wanted to keep the card open. They did remove the $500 additional hold BUT they went ahead and charged our stay before we even checked out. After charging us $402.92, they put ANOTHER hold for $200 for the last night of our stay. I'm still trying to figure out the billing. We also had to pay $28 for a late check out.

The Pros to this trip was my kids had a blast! We opted for Fremont Street because we knew The Strip was too inappropriate for kids. The kiddos love the light show and they liked the old Vegas theme. Of course they loved the pool and they enjoyed the Downtown atmosphere. Like I mentioned at the beginning of the review, I liked the GN but for we paid we might as well stayed on The Strip. Out of all the hotels on Fremont Street, GN is probably the best because it has been renovated. I would suggest upgrading to the Gold or Rush Towers, but if you do make sure to do it online because they give different rates. Example--I saw online where you can upgrade to the Rush Tower for an additional $30 per night, but when we got there the front desk said it would be an additional $70 per night and they don't honor online prices.

Ultimately, we had a great family trip and I guess that's all that really matters. But, I will say this--if the other hotels around the GN shape up and do a few more renovations, the GN will lose a lot of business....

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
chicago, illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

We have been to LV 12 times, this was our first at the GN. We will stay here again. The check-in was fast and easy. We got there at 12PM and were in our room by 12:15PM. We asked for a quiet room on the top floor and that is what we got, in the Carson Tower. The room was very nice, clean and almost too spacious for us, we like boutique rooms a little better. The bathroom had a rain shower, was good sized and was very clean and new. We had a view of the Strip in the distance, and a view of the mountains. We ate at The Grotto and it was OK, not great, but OK. We ate at Carson's for breakfast and it was good. One night we went to Lilly's Asian for dinner and the noise from the chefs was too annoying, but that is the deal with a "kitchen stadium"...we should have known better. The food was fine, the noise was too much. Another thing, we go to LV to gamble, not to sit by the pool. But, we did go to the pool one day, for about 20 minutes. The piped in music was BAD, too much rap and junk and not enough jazz or mellow. It was actually a radio station so you had commercials too. I think the GN should start thinking about their older guests, maybe in the morning instead of piping in all that blaring techno dance music at top volume, tone it down and play some instrumental works, maybe even some old Vegas like The Rat Pack, Tony Bennett, Elvis and even Wayne Newton. IMO They need to get an old Vegas feel to the place, since this is old Vegas now.

My husband and I both agree, we may never go to the Strip again. We went for one day this trip. It was obnoxious, crowded, the music was intrusive and never let up, even in the street. The machines were tight and the table games overcrowded. The dealers were acting surly and annoyed. We had planned to go for the whole day, ended up staying on the Strip for 3 hours and then went back to Freemont, stopping for lunch at the top of the Stratosphere, which was the best dining experience I have ever had in LV. The food was very good, the atmosphere was calm, the views incredible and joy of joys, the music was jazz.

We had a great trip this time. And part of the reason was our stay at the GN. Overall the employees are considerate and helpful and the room was quiet and very well maintained. And all of this for $50. per night....how can you go wrong?

I do want to add this though. On some of the reviews here people are talking about being nickel and dimed for the small things. I do not blame the Hotels for doing this, because the room rates are very low. They keep the rates low so the gamblers will come and spend money in the Casinos. This trip I saw a lot of families and kids not gambling, but just hanging at the pool and hanging out on Freemont Street. To top it off, the children were running wild, the teens were usurping the pools. This is not Disney World, it is a gambling mecca. So if the hotels have to recoup the money they lose from these non-gambling people, by adding on fees for Wifi, coffee, etc. So be it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Golden Nugget Hotel? Share your experiences!