“Will stay again....only a few flaws” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$140 Golden Value Coupons
Ranked #88 of 269 Hotels in Las Vegas
chicago, illinois
“Will stay again....only a few flaws”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

We have been to LV 12 times, this was our first at the GN. We will stay here again. The check-in was fast and easy. We got there at 12PM and were in our room by 12:15PM. We asked for a quiet room on the top floor and that is what we got, in the Carson Tower. The room was very nice, clean and almost too spacious for us, we like boutique rooms a little better. The bathroom had a rain shower, was good sized and was very clean and new. We had a view of the Strip in the distance, and a view of the mountains. We ate at The Grotto and it was OK, not great, but OK. We ate at Carson's for breakfast and it was good. One night we went to Lilly's Asian for dinner and the noise from the chefs was too annoying, but that is the deal with a "kitchen stadium"...we should have known better. The food was fine, the noise was too much. Another thing, we go to LV to gamble, not to sit by the pool. But, we did go to the pool one day, for about 20 minutes. The piped in music was BAD, too much rap and junk and not enough jazz or mellow. It was actually a radio station so you had commercials too. I think the GN should start thinking about their older guests, maybe in the morning instead of piping in all that blaring techno dance music at top volume, tone it down and play some instrumental works, maybe even some old Vegas like The Rat Pack, Tony Bennett, Elvis and even Wayne Newton. IMO They need to get an old Vegas feel to the place, since this is old Vegas now.

My husband and I both agree, we may never go to the Strip again. We went for one day this trip. It was obnoxious, crowded, the music was intrusive and never let up, even in the street. The machines were tight and the table games overcrowded. The dealers were acting surly and annoyed. We had planned to go for the whole day, ended up staying on the Strip for 3 hours and then went back to Freemont, stopping for lunch at the top of the Stratosphere, which was the best dining experience I have ever had in LV. The food was very good, the atmosphere was calm, the views incredible and joy of joys, the music was jazz.

We had a great trip this time. And part of the reason was our stay at the GN. Overall the employees are considerate and helpful and the room was quiet and very well maintained. And all of this for $50. per night....how can you go wrong?

I do want to add this though. On some of the reviews here people are talking about being nickel and dimed for the small things. I do not blame the Hotels for doing this, because the room rates are very low. They keep the rates low so the gamblers will come and spend money in the Casinos. This trip I saw a lot of families and kids not gambling, but just hanging at the pool and hanging out on Freemont Street. To top it off, the children were running wild, the teens were usurping the pools. This is not Disney World, it is a gambling mecca. So if the hotels have to recoup the money they lose from these non-gambling people, by adding on fees for Wifi, coffee, etc. So be it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,834)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Bonham, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

My wife and I went to Las Vegas for the first time 2 years ago, for our anniversary. It was a much better managed hotel two years ago. We stayed at the Nugget, in the Carson Tower, this time from July 14th thru the 17th. A hotel with 2300 rooms needs to be much better managed than the place is at this time. We had reservations made a month in advance, and it took an hour and a half to get checked in. The only check in location open was the main lobby location, and the situation was the same at check out. The only nice thing about the room was the bed. It was a nice sized room, but I am going to guess the carpet has never been cleaned. The tub didn't drain well, while taking a shower, and a ten minute shower left you standing in several inches of water. The people in the room above us apparently flooded their bathroom, with the water running into our closet, getting our hanging clothes wet. It took 2 days to get our clothes back from the laundry, when they promised same day service. The food at the Nugget was mediocre at best, and very over-priced. We stood in line for the breakfast buffet one morning for 30 minutes, with only one person there to take peoples money, to have them open the second register promptly at 10:30, when the price went up, and they got everyone in in less than 5 minutes. No one likes to get scammed like that, and they made it very obvious. They have a kiosk where you get to pay to print your boarding passes for flights home that is designed to milk as much money as they can from you. It cost us $45, and we finally had to call the company's tech to get them printed. When we complained to the hotel, they could care less. You get a free single serve coffee pot to use, but $10 per day for the coffee. The AC unit was noisy, and never did keep the room cool enough. The blackjack dealers were all young, non-smiling, and unfriendly, and blackjack there now pays 6 to 5. There were very few servers at their buffet and in the casino, and none of them seemed to be very happy. I ended up doing all of my gambling next door at the 4 Queens, as did my wife. With the attitudes of the Nugget's employees, I really don't know how they stay in business. We stayed downtown because we really like the Fremont Street atmosphere, and the side by side casinos, but the Golden Nugget will really have to shape up before we would ever go there again. Most of the other casino cities we go to are much more customer oriented, and tourist-friendly, so Vegas better get with the program if we are to return. We travel a lot, but will probably scratch Vegas off the list for awhile. There are nicer places to gamble, with better amenities, and better food for the money.

Room Tip: I would stay at a different hotel.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

I didn't go to this hotel with high expectations because of it's location on the Las Vegas strip but I was very pleasantly surprised. The hotel is beautiful and the cheapest rate room that we had was at a very good standard. We stayed there to visit the tank pool (rated in top 12 pools in the world). The pool was a lot smaller than I expected. The slide was great fun though. Tbh I've swam in better pools.... But overall for $80 we got to stay in a lovely hotel, swam in a top 12 pool in the world and as a bonus we also did the Fremont Street Experience ( an everyday street party which is just outside the doors of the casino). I would recommend this to anyone who's on a bugget but wants to party/play in style. Loved it and will do it again.

Room Tip: Stayed in the Carson Tower....which is the cheapest....and it was fantastic!!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

I have been staying at the Nugget for many years. Long before the shark tank or new towers. It always has been the jewel of downtown. At times the old south tour can appear worn. But overall they seem to keep up on maintaining a very liveable standard for the comparatively modest price. With the new towers they also offer quite a choice. You can, if you wish - pay more to get more. I have stayed in the new Rush tower and it is a nicer room. Those who want the latest up to date should probably choose the Rush tower. That said the old sections are also still nice and great value.

I remember the tiny pool they used to have. It was OK but nothing to scream about. Then I saw them digging for the shark tank. I didnt know what to make of it then but I love it now. Very cool. The pool area is now a great place. However the rap music they play in some areas is not at all for me and I usually just check out the sharks for a bit and leave.

The new club areas took away the once available balcony. Havent used it since its now a club with again - annoying rap music. They also has a great old school snack bar in the casino which is long gone. The Buffet was once the best. Thats history. Several new and way to expensive restaurants are there fo those who wish to spend freely. The Starbucks is also way overpriced. Some people like that sort of thing. Myself I find the expensive restaurants in Casinos are all promise - no delivery. Thats the way of Vegas these days though. Things change. No one knows who is doing what unless they have their player card out. I dont bother with that.

Anyway, the rooms are nice, the casino is good and if you dont gamble you wont find a better value. I end up gambling so their plan works on me. Best parts are easy free self parking, great pool and the only truly self contained resort downtown. To date no siilly resort fees either. The one gripe I have always had is the time share people posted by the south tower elevators. Incredibly cheesey. Dowtown is fun and I prefer it to the strip. I have to say though the in recent years downtown is getting a tad scary. Lots of homeless and beggars. This wasnt around before but now there is a beggar on each corner, several "charity" people looking for handouts and I've seen a few bums throw bottles at each other etc. Something is going on with lack of security in the area that they need to get a grip on. Thats not the Nuggets fault - just a side note.

Room Tip: Rush tower is the newest section. South tower the oldest. North Tower older but updated more than so...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Winston, OR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

We recently spent 5 days in Las Vegas at the Golden Nugget on Fremont Street. What an enjoyable experience! We were pleasantly surprised at the cleanliness and friendliness of this resort. We love Fremont Street for the more relaxed friendly atmosphere as well as the prices are much better there for food and drinks. The Golden Nugget was more than nice, with comfy beds and wonderful staff. Reception was so nice, even gave us free buffett tickets and we saw the Country Music Superstar show which was wonderful. Would stay again!

Room Tip: Bring your own K cups for morning coffee if you don't want to pay $10 for 4 cups of coffee from...
Cody, Wyoming
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

Room in the Carson Tower was nice, clean and well appointed. The bed was comfortable and the room had no unusual sounds or smells. Left the A/C running when we left for the evening and returned to a hot, muggy room. Turned off the A/C and went to the Casino for a while (at 11 p.m.) came back a few hours later, turned the A/c Back on and it worked perfectly. I guess it froze from being run too hard. That was the only problem we had with the room.

The restaurants were nice, but a little expensive. The Grotto was great, but way over-priced. The Carson Cafe was very good, and prices were better. The 2 for 1 breakfast buffet was worth 6 bucks each. Getting a decent bar tender was a hit or miss. One of the bartenders would not give me the time of day. When I finally got his attention, and asked for a drink, he almost tossed it at me and walked away... didn't say a word after I ordered my beer. had cash in my hand to give him a tip for the free beer, but put it away and went to a different bar and a different bartender for my next beer. He was GREAT! pleasant, friendly... even though he was busy he still took a moment and asked how my stay was and if I was having fun. He came back a couple of times and chatted very briefly as he worked the bar. HE got the other guys tip, plus his own.

The pool was nice. My wife and I spent a couple of hours there in the morning. Next time I will see what I need to do to go to the private "grown up" pool. I guess Vegas is going family, there were a lot of kids. I do not mind kids (have 4 of my own) but went to Vegas to get away from kids for a few days. Really did not mind most of them, and the slide kept most of them away from my wife and I, but really dislike people who take their kids on vacation then ignore their kids. If you want to ignore them, send them to grandma's and come without them. Kids wandering the Casino at 1 a.m. was a little disconcerting. I am not talking 14 year olds, I am talking 5 year old and younger. Not what I want to deal with when I am in Vegas.

LOVED the Fremont Experience, and was really happy to be on the opposite side of the hotel when I wanted to sleep. I could still hear it, but it was distant and muffled. I cannot say enough about how AWESOME the Fremont Experience was. Music, lights, interesting acts, strange people.... It was a lot of fun.

Room Tip: I recommend the Carson Tower or a room that faces AWAY from the Fremont Experience. They are quieter...
Reno, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

This is a fun hotel all the way around. The price is not nearly as much as up on the Strip, yet all the amenities are just as nice. I've stayed in Vegas many times and this is my favorite place to rest my head.

Room: We always stay in the Rush Tower, so I can't assess the other towers, which are different. Fair price and great linens, towels, quiet air conditioner, good water pressure, shampoo AND conditioner, and nice large shower. Quality hair-dryer also. I don't recall hearing the neighbors or much activity in the hallways. Room service is great.

Restaurants: I cannot recommend the Italian place enough. Food is incredible and fairly priced. I had the mozzarella for appetizers--not cheese sticks, but grilled small mozzarella in marinara sauce. Delicious treat! The lasagna is great also and the fettucini with sausage. Lillie's Asian place was very good also. The cafe was extremely slow. We were seated for 45 minutes before our meal came. One man had the most difficult time getting his bill so he could pay and leave. I saw him as 3 people for his bill and that the last one he said needed to leave NOW and the employees did not move any faster to help him. I thought it was very rude. We never went back after that breakfast. Skip the cafe and go to the buffet. I'm not a buffet person but I am a breakfast person. Hit the buffet.

Pool: The drinks at the pool are the same price as the Strip, so be warned. The pool is very nice, lots of seating. If you want to relax away from kids, hit the Hideout upstairs. You have to go through the main pool to get there. You don't have to pay to get in, but you do have to pay to sit anywhere except the bar. I think it was around $20 for a chair for all day. We got the daybeds for $50-150 (depends on days of week and I'm sure prices change). I thought they were pretty good deals, especially compared to the prices of $200-350 on the Strip for daybeds. Bartenders and waitresses were good. You can order food up there also.

Fremont Street: After the first night, it's all the same. We stayed on the Strip on our most recent trip because we've been to Vegas 4 times this year and I am over the Fremont Street Experience. So it's great if you've never been to downtown Vegas before, but it's the same every night. If you have young children, there are some really strange things down there (nasty, overweight men dressed as angels with a g-string, for example) so be careful.

I have stayed here for business, couples weekend break and with my teenage children.

Room Tip: If you stay in the Rush Tower, enter from the back side of the Casino. Not 4th St.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple