“Awesome Stay, Great Value” 5 of 5 stars

Golden Gate Hotel & Casino
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Fremont Street, Las Vegas, NV 89101 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #122 of 272 Hotels in Las Vegas
Burbank, California
“Awesome Stay, Great Value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2009

We stayed at this hotel because we booked a really good promotional rate. We were not expecting a lot, but we were definitely surprised. The rooms were recently renovated and have a boutique feel to them. They also feature flat panel TVs and iPod compatible alarm clocks. The staff members were super friendly and check-in was quick and easy. We booked two rooms and in one of the rooms the air-conditioning stopped working - we mentioned it to the front desk when we went out for breakfast and it was fixed by the time we returned. This property is also the only place in Vegas that seems to care about its history, so it is a good place for a little nostalgia.

Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2009

No doubt about it, this is a great hotel and casino. The rooms are clean, the beds comfortable, the staff very friendly, and the price is just right. HOWEVER, be careful not to accept a room facing the Golden Nugget. The Nugget is near the end of a major construction project and the workers are going at it 24/7. Jackhammers, bull dozers, dump trucks...you name it. Other than that, great place to stay. Especially love the music in the casino.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
Leeds, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2009

with flat screen TV, quite stylish. But bathroom was still old and I found some of someone else's hair, so not that clean, but still okay. Great location at one end of the Fremont Street Experience. Parking (you'll have to get a permit from the hotel, then it's for free) is on a designated site nearby (alongside S Main St), all on ground level, i.e. you don't have to navigate through one of those enormous multi-level garages. Great value!!! The casino is quite small, which again is an advantage because it only takes a minute or so to walk through it.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
sarahnarizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2009

I stay at the Golden Gate Hotel at least 8 times a years...if I can swing Vegas more I would!!! I love Vegas...and I love the Golden Gate. Great price for a nice room. I dont need 5 star but I do need clean... Golden Gate has never let me down. All rooms have been re-done and I love them. Flat screen TV's in room coffee and all that jazz you want and need in a Hotel. The rooms are very small and would not be ok for a family but for a couple a great deal! This is an old hotel and you can tell. Dont be shocked at the old tile in the bathrooms or how the water goes hot and cold in the shower...but honestly in Vegas I need a place to lay my head... I cant tell you how great this Hotel is. I was a bit weary at first but soooo glad I tried it!!!! You will be too....

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2009

we go to Vegas almost every month and never stayed in Golden Gate, this is our first time and i love that place. It has an espectacular view and the rooms are small but cozy, clean and a lot better than the ones in the strip...we will stay again in there, we actually had some friends over and drink on the room with the windows opened and had a great time. o and the Staff is so helpfull. Don't forget to get shrimp cocktail for just 99cents

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2009

Inexpensive hotel on Fremont st. Staff friendly. Don't think about staying here if you really need to get sleep though. Our room backed up to the alley and the garbage trucks arrived around 5:30am every day to dumpt the many dumpsters of bottles and cans. No sleep after being awakened by that noise.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Golden Gate for the weekend. Since we only needed a room to sleep in, we decided to stay at the Golden Gate. We never stayed on the Strip, figured, we rather spend money on a nice dinner, show and gambling than on a room, so we chose the Golden Gate. We stayed at the Lady Luck and the Plaza Hotel and Casino before. The motels/hotels in the old Downtown Vegas are not very luxurious, and most of the people staying there are certainly on a budget or simply don't like spending too much $$$ on a hotel room.

Parking at the Golden Gate is pretty limited - they only have valet parking which is free but you have to tip the person working over there. The staff was friendly and helpful - we were able to choose our room. The room we stayed in was small, cozy, with a modern feel to it. It looked like the room had recently been renovated. My husband thought it "too small" but since I am from Europe I am used to small motel/hotel rooms. Like I said, all we needed was a room with a bed and a bathroom. The bathroom was small, but clean. That's all that mattered to me. As for the bed, the mattress was pretty soft, so if you like soft plush mattresses, good for you. We prefer hard beds, but then again, everybody is different. As for food, they have a deli downstairs in the casino. The sandwiches were pretty goood, we had one when we got hungry in the middle of the night.

There's not really more to say, I would not recommend this place for a family with young children, since the rooms are really small. I would recommend this hotel for young singles, couples on a budget or just need a room with a shower and a bed. Don't stay there if you are looking for luxury, but if you just need a room that's clean and very affordable, that's the place to stay. I would certainly stay at the Golden Gate again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Golden Gate Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!