“Las Vegas's hidden treasure” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
20% off room rate
Ranked #120 of 272 Hotels in Las Vegas
sandiego
“Las Vegas's hidden treasure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2011

The Golden Gate Hotel & Casino is located at #1 Fremont St. in downtown Las Vegas. If a very quiet boutique hotel appeals to you you can't go wrong here. Book online and get unblievable rates. The Casino here is as good as it gets and if you don't feel in the mood to gamble you can come and go without having to walk through the play area.

I particularly like their 24 hour restuarant: DuPar's.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the Fremont St. Experience.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
phoenix, AZ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2011

The Casino is fun and has reasonable prices for games. Shrimp was good but you can get it at a local supermarket. It is noisy until 12 but you are in Vegas. Rooms are clean but it is still a little dirty. It is great if you are planning to stay out all night and just want a room to sleep in and are with a group of guys. If you are with some girls . Go some place else they would not like the hotel part. For the most part you get what you pay foe. I enjoyed my time but you have to understand $40 for a room means it is not perfect by any means.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Upland, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2011

Overall, my freshman experience in Downtown Las Vegas was fun and memorable. Unfortunately, none of that had to do with my hotel of choice. I went by price and the claims of "best shrimp cocktail" when booking my room, which was an unfortunate choice. The place is more "old" than "historic." I understand the importance of homage to the past, but this place is due for an update. Especially if they want to throw scantily clad dancers above the tables and expect you to take them seriously. Spend a few extra dollars and stay elsewhere, like Four Queens or Las Vegas Club.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2011

This was my third stay. The staff is friendly and the rooms are spotless. You can't beat the price. I like walking out the door into Fremont street with so much to do without taking a cab!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Lakewood, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2011

My sister got married in Vegas, so my ENTIRE family stayed in this hotel. The rooms are nice, the closets are big, and if you've got the right room, your windows open into downtown right above the stage. Yea, its noisy, but are you REALLY in Vegas to sleep? My sister was in her wedding dress the night she got married and the owner took a picture with us and bought us all a round. I love this place. I'm vising again in November. Better believe I know where I'm staying!

• Stayed September 2010
Mesquite, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2011

This was our first stay @ the Golden Gate. Talk about history! Even the doors are narrow by today's standards. The bed was one of the most comfortable I have stayed in any hotel.
The casino rocks after 5 pm, the dealers are all beautiful young women that deal, then dance, and then get a break.
The 1.99 shrimp cocktails are another bit of history.
This isn't the Bellagio, it is a traveler friendly, gaming enthusiast mecca!

Room Tip: If noise bothers you ask for a room in the back.
Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Murrieta, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2011

This hotel was a great disappoitment to me and my wife. First off it is very noisy there! so if you are wanting to sleep not a good idea!! The garbage trucks were literally outside our room and we got no sleep!!! The elevator also smelled of old urine!! Clientele is also kidda of scuzzzy!! Garbage truck came at 6am saturday morning and took 30 minutes to finish route and we told front desk but, there is nothing we can do!!
Beware!!

Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
GoldenGateCasino, Vice President of Non-Gaming Operations at Golden Gate Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, April 22, 2011
Thanks for your feedback... and I am truly sorry your visit was disappointing. I do understand what you are saying about the noise. Being a historic property can, at times, have it's disadvantages. Being built over 100 years ago, when there was not much need for soundproofing, our property was fit with single pane French Windows that do not do much to keep a lot of the sound out. Two years ago, when we remodeled our property we had the choice of updating to more modern double pane windows like you will see in more modern hotels. After great deliberation, we realized that permanently sealed, "modern styled" windows would take a great deal away from the historic value and charm of our hotel. We wanted to maintain the same look and feel that our property has offered for 100 years now. Additionally, being literally adjacent to the Fremont Street Experience, we wanted our guests to be able to open their windows and, from their room, still be a part of the largest daily party in the world (something you can't do at any other casino in Las Vegas).

Although there are some disadvantages to being the most historic property in Las Vegas, it is, nonetheless who we are. Our hallways echo the footsteps of pioneers and legends... Through the roaring 20s, the Rat Pack era, and the corporate takeover of Las Vegas, we have remained true to our history... We are to this day, a family owned and operated casino, in the shadows of the corporate giants. While other properties have come, and gone, we remain proudly standing for 105 years now... we are still the original... we are still "where it all began".

Should you ever decide you would like to give our property another opportunity, I would welcome you to call me directly and I will do my best to get you an interior room, or a room facing Main Street where the noise is not nearly so obtrusive.

Thank you once again for your feedback... I hope we can see you again.

Been to Golden Gate Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!