“Cortez Restaurant” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Gold Coast Hotel and Casino

You added Gold Coast Hotel and Casino to your Saves list
Gold Coast Hotel and Casino
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4000 West Flamingo Road, Las Vegas, NV 89103 (Paradise)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Experience Vegas Special
Ranked #92 of 272 Hotels in Las Vegas
Los Angeles
“Cortez Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Las Vegas has hundreds of good restaurants including many that are inside hotels and/or casinos. This review is to tell you about an especially nice restaurant that is inside the Gold Coast Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas. The Cortez Room is a fine dining place, with a nice Southern European ambiance. Service is very good to excellent. However, it is the food quality, selection and prices that make this a place not to be missed. It is a quiet oasis of refinement and understated elegance, without being stuffy or snobby. It really isn't for children under age 8, but a family of older children will have a nice time. A special note..use Valet Parking at this hotel as it is one of the very best in Las Vegas.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

I checked in super early and waited for the room I wanted to open up. I asked for non smoking, close to elevator and ice, and when I was given a choice of king vs two beds, I asked if any were more recently remodeled. She gave me one that I would have sworn nobody else had ever used if it weren't for some black marks on the carpet. The beds didn't have that little coverlet at the foot that always shows up in photos, but it was super comfy. Didn't care much for the polyester pillows though. The bathroom, omg, all new gleaming white sink, toilet, and tub. And, I've never had a functioning window in the bathroom before but it's so great to have that natural light, especially when the heat lamp comes on automatically when you turn the lights on. It was so clean I felt no fear about taking a bath, and doing so I caught a glimpse of the back of the toilet -- absolutely spotless.

AC is cold, too cold in fact, and not too noisy. The room smelled weird when I entered but it seems better now. (I'm still here.)

Be sure to ask for what you want and TIP the registration staff, even a measly $5 like I did.

I have no compliments for the valets though. They gave me a hard time because I parked in the space for registration, which was fine but when I had to wait for the room to be made up, they gave me grief even though no one else was even trying to park. The American guys were nicer but one guy with an accent was particularly hard-nosed. Even tho my room was ready and I just went to tell them I'd be right back after I brought my bags to my room, they wanted me to instead park the car and lug my bags from the lot all the way to my room, which would have taken 20 minutes instead of the five minutes it took for me to run up to the room and return to move my car. It put a sour taste in my mouth about dealing with the valets even though valet service is supposed to be included in the resort fee.

Speaking of which, the fee rose from a negligible and acceptable $3 when I booked to a ridiculous $10 when I arrived. My room was $30 so that would have been another third of my room rate. Happily, the front desk gave me no prob and said they're charging me $3. I hope it's correct when they bill me, because the paperwork I signed said $10/night. Also they said the deal included only buffets but my postcard offer, which I showed them, clearly stated buffet or dining credit. They honored that, as well. Nice, but why the confusion. Oh and lastly, no coupon book at check-in! Seems like deals are getting cut to the bone.

One more note about the resort fee: it's hard to get the deets on what you get, except to go through the process of booking a room and then canceling. Wifi is now included, so I guess that's why they upped the fee, but I'd rather just know what my room is costing instead of these silly games.

Room Tip: Ask for a recently renovated room!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Edmonton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

I would have given this hotel an "excellent" but our room door was left open one day, not by the maid but whoever did a "room check". We reported the matter. The room was "checked" at 8:42 AM and luckily, we were at the room again at noon to discover this. I mentioned it again at check-out, hoping that they would do something as a gesture of goodwill but nothing was forthcoming. They didn't seem overly concerned for what should be basic security. Theft could easily have occurred during this more than three hour period of time.

The room we had which was a "king" was very spacious and nice. The room was very clean. Personally, I prefer when rooms are cleaned in the morning but our room was generally done in the early afternoon. For some reason, our bar glasses were never taken from the room.

The casino was being renovated at the time and there was no mention at any time that this would be happening so access was restricted in certain parts as well as sections of slots being shut down. It would have been nice to have been told this in advance.

The "resort fee" has just been increased to just under $10, still one of the lowest in Vegas. You do get Wi-Fi included but when you access it, you are told on the screen that it is only for 1 megabyte a day. This seems extremely low. You can purchase a higher amount.

The bowling alley is great with exceptionally low rates for playing but when we were there, there were no washroom facilities. Apparently, one of the washrooms had just been vandalized and I am not sure why the second was not in service.

The gym is very nice with good, functioning equipment, although I am only a casual user.

The pool is small but nice and quiet and was not crowded during our weekday stay.

Some people we spoke with were not impressed with the buffet but I thought the food was very good with excellent selection at an excellent price.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel/casino but not sure I would stay there again due to my door being left open one day.

Room Tip: Use your player card (free) to get a nice discount on the already low buffet prices.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Scottsdale, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

This hotel has really cleaned up their act. Newly remodeled rooms are the norm and when you click on the picture of their room, that is what it looks like. They have a shuttle service that allows you to park your vehicle one time and have no need to move it till you leave which allows the driver to have an adult beverage or two with out worry of the driving laws.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

It has been a few years, but i stayed here with our youth Ice Hockey Team.

The Hotel management people had so many neat little treats, like the $1 Hot Dogs,
and a few others, you do not forget those things,
the kids had such a great time there, think they had an ice cream place to,

It was a nice experience to see Vegas from here.

Thanks Ritchie H.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

We stayed at the Gold Coast July 13, 2013. It was a pleasant surprise to see the rooms are all updated. New TV sets, remodeled bathrooms, & it really looks nice, & was comfortable.
The Gold Coast is located just west of the strip, & is a smaller hotel. If you don't want the hassle of waiting in a long line to check in at the big hotels on the strip, try the Gold Coast. Parking is covered, & close to the hotel. There is a free shuttle to the strip, & the Orleans Hotel.
We will be back. The Gold Coast is one of our favorites.

Room Tip: Check in early to avoid the crowds.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Medford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

The promotional rate was unbeatable $29.99 + tax. The resort fee is super low compared to other hotel/casinos and so is the charge for a internet connection. The casino is a bit dated and it seems to draw locals and tourist who wanted to stay away from the main strip. There is a shuttle bus every 1/2 hours to take guest to and from the strip with the drop off at Bally's. The deluxe room with a king size bed was spacious and the bed was comfortable. The bathroom was roomy and the shower head was good. The promotion came with a buffet credit but to us the quality of the food was not good. There are eateries inside the casino and there are plenty of restaurants in the area especially Chinatown which isn't far from the hotel. The pool was clean and there were a good amount of tables and chairs and lounge chairs. I didn't use the fitness room so I cannot comment. Walking around Las Vegas was enough exercise for us.

Room Tip: I found that the 5th floor hallway rug looked newer and cleaner than other floors. We stayed in Roo...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Gold Coast Hotel and Casino? Share your experiences!