“Disgusting” 1 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
North Attleboro, Massachusetts, United States
“Disgusting”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

I am a 50 year old business man who traveled to Las Vegas for a weeks’ vacation with a friend. We were so happy to arrive in Vegas until we arrived at the hotel to check in. This hotel is absolutely disgusting, dirty & smelly right from the main lobby, the room and throughout the casino. The first room that they gave us was in a building a few hundred yards from the main hotel and casino. The room stunk badly from cigarettes and other things I can only imagine, the ceiling was stained, the bathroom was filthy and the security door to the building was broken. I immediately advised the management and was offered “to send housekeeping in to clean again”. I told the hotel clerk, who it turned out was a manager that housekeeping couldn’t possibly clean that room, it was that disgusting. We were then offered an “upgrade” to the main hotel which was an additional charge. I gave the manager my debit card and paid for the upgrade. The room appeared better but it was by no means “clean”.
After the first & second nights I woke up with severe itchy rash all over that took 5 days after vacating to clear up. The third night we came back from seeing a show around 1:00 AM to find we were locked out of our room. We then went to the front desk and were advised that they locked us out of the room because “you owe us money as you upgraded and didn’t pay for it.” I advised the clerk that the manager had upgraded the room and charged the fee to my debit card. The staff person advised me that they only charged my card the hotel fee (which all hotels charge) and I was not charged for the upgrade and until I pay for the upgrade we cannot access our room. I advised the clerk that I had a receipt in my room and I could check my bank account online if I can be allowed access to the room to check my account. The clerk refused and asked who upgraded the room for us and I pointed to the manager whose name was Andreas.
Andreas then showed me some papers from the hotel’s computer which showed charges to my account of $16.80 and $77.98 which he advised me were the hotel fees not the upgrade fee. I advised Andreas that I would need to check my bank account to see what fees were charged to my account but I needed to access our room. The clerk then advised Andreas that “we have his credit card information on file”, in other words don’t continue this discussion we can just charge his account. After approximately 45 minutes Andreas stated that he would allow us access to the room and we could straighten the dispute out in the morning. We were then given new cards to access the room. When we got back to the room we found that the room was still locked. We went back down to the main lobby and waited another 25 minutes or so to speak to Andreas after speaking to two other clerks who were no help. We were then advised that they changed the codes and gave us another new card to access the room. At that point I had no intension of staying in that hotel any longer.
I advised Andreas that I was extremely upset as, if in fact they didn’t charge us for the upgrade, that would be their fault and I shouldn’t have been treated like a criminal and locked out of the room at 1:00 AM. I then stated we would be vacating the hotel once we are allowed access to the room to gather our belongings. When we went up to the room we were met at the door of the room by a security guard who advised that he was there to be sure we could access the room. The security guard asked if we were vacating and when I told him yes we were, he stated that he needed to stay there until we left the room.
We then went back down to the lobby and again waited for Andreas. I advised Andreas that I would not authorize any additional charges to my debit card, however, as his clerk pointed out, they could still charge my card as they had it on file and there would be nothing I could do about it.
It was now after 2:00 AM when we vacated the hotel and had to locate a new hotel room which took another few hours. When I checked my bank account the next day I found that we did pay the upgrade fee ($77.98) but apparently were not charged the hotel fee for the entire seven nights which is $16.80 only charged one time. I received no refund at all and haven’t seen any additional charges.
I do not blame Andreas for all of this as he was being a gentleman the entire time, was attempting to rectify the situation and offered a free room next time we were in Vegas (I wouldn’t even consider ever staying there again even for free). The other hotel clerks were extremely rude and degrading.
My advice to anyone that is considering staying at Circus Circus is, don’t even consider it, there are over 100 hotels in Vegas and any one of them would be better than Circus Circus.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

3,699 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (931)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

So I traveled to Vegas as a tag-a-long. I'm always up for a good time so I adapt and I go with the flow.

Over the years I would have NEVER picked to stay here. Even when I took my kid nieces to Vegas for the summer we didn't stay here for the kid appeal. I saw the pictures and frankly it looked like a clown threw up in the room. Weellllllllll HELLO Circus Circus! The tower I stayed in was lovely! The decor upgraded and the regular room was large. Now keep in mind you can normally find me at the high end contemporary hotels so my standards are high but I really felt comfortable here.

The bathroom was small and a normal bath shower combo with a curtain (I think NO place should use a curtain. Get a door!) But clean and updated.

No great amenities in the room and no views. I'm curious to see the high floor views. Not much on that end of the strip to look at. The suite was large however, size of bathroom did not increase.

The casino yes it's small and more kids than the other hotel's. The adventurdome is a great place for kids however, it does get pricey.

The Buffett...by far I've had better in Vegas.

The Wifi...more like no fi..totally slow.

The gym, almost non existent. BUT are you really going to workout on vacay? (I did that's how I know the gym isn't super great)

So you have to ask yourself, why did I come to Vegas?

Do you need a decent, clean room, with good customer service to stay at? Okay here's circus circus. If you plan to hotel hop use the monorail to take you down the strip or jump in a cab.

Room Tip: Stay away from the elevators
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
MGM_Resorts, Guest Relations Specialist at Circus Circus Hotel & Casino Las Vegas, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Hi lowbuxlux,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the décor and found your room spacious during your stay; however, we are sorry to see that other areas of your stay fell short of your expectations. We truly appreciate your feedback as it helps us improve and provide the best possible experience we can offer to all of our guests. Thank you again for taking the time to share your review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

This place is okay if you're on a tight budget - the rooms are clean enough. It does feel distinctly older than other hotels on the strip - even in the gaming and dining areas. It is a little too far off the strip to be a comfortable walking distance to the main scene and paying for taxi's in Vegas isn't really fun.
Stayed here on a weekend because the rates were cheaper but opted to stay at Planet Hollywood during the week when rates were lower.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Kelowna, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Judging by the demographic of the crowd in the airport-sized check in line up, I would say this hotel is discounted for a reason. I will say the circus acts them selves were very good family entertainment. The kids don't notice grubbiness or worn out carpets etc so they don't care. We were disappointed that part of the live performance circus area was closed for renovations. Although they've made attempts to renovate the rooms, next time we will spend $20 more and go further up the strip. Walking outside with children is not safe feeling in this part of Vegas. Lots of drunks, loiterers and trash on the street. The coffee shop offered us the most pitiful bagel breakfast sandwiches we've ever had.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Hello SockMonkey67,

Thank you for your valuable feedback. We are happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed the circus acts in the Midway during your stay. We apologize that other areas of your experience fell short of your expectations and welcome you to contact us at guestrelations@circuscircus.com to discuss your stay in more detail. Again, your review is greatly appreciated and we look forward to hearing from you in the near future.

New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

We stayed at this hotel/casino for 6 nights 7 days. It was perfect for us because we brought our young children with us. with the FREE circus and games for the kids it really kept them occupied. All the staff was VERY friendly and helpful. the rooms was clean and neat. I LOVED the bathroom! HUGE shower!! I would recommend this hotel to anyone with children. If its an adult trip, i wouldn't suggest it. On the weekend the hotel was swarmed with people and children. It got a bit much for me. If i was there with my husband and no kids, i wouldn't want to be greeted by kids running all over. Besides that it was nice. the food was good, adventure dome was great and the pool was nice!! will stay here again when we bring the kids back!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
NJ, USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

Wil never ever consider staying here again!it may be a good value for budget minded families traveling with kids especially if u do not care about cleaniness, privacy and service.it is the last hotel from strip far from everything else. Dark, dingy and smells like a really really really old hotel.
there are better choices u can make with hotels to stay on the las vegas strip.

• Stayed October 2013
Hello Deekay12345,

Thank you for sharing your review with us. We are sorry to hear that your brief stay fell short of your expectations. We would value the opportunity to discuss your stay further. If you could please send any additional details including your preferred contact information to guestrelations@circuscircus.com we would greatly appreciate. Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to hearing from you in the near future.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

Stayed here for a few nights with my hubby and 3 year old daughter, it was an excellent choice as its very family friendly. Kids are allowed everywhere in the hotel and made to feel welcome unlike some other hotels on the strip. Our room was perfect, clean and spacious with 2 comfy clean beds. We asked for a non smoking room. Right outside our block was the hotel pools and the moving walkway to the adventure dome. Would have been nice nice to have a kettle in the room but it wasn't a huge problem as there is a 24 hour deli on site serving snacks and drinks. The location is perfect for families at the top end of the strip where it's a little quieter on a night, but only a short walk to the to and mirage where you can get the trams or monorail to the other end of the strip.
We will definitely be returning on our next trip to Vegas .

• Stayed October 2013

Been to Circus Circus Hotel & Casino Las Vegas? Share your experiences!