“great hotel for price” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #107 of 269 Hotels in Las Vegas
New Westminster, Canada
“great hotel for price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

We stayed here for the first time, & totally enjoyed it. The rooms were quiet at night, & very clean. Staff were all so nice & helpful. Also lots of friendly security staff at all times.The weather was extremely hot so the pool was an added bonus. Have stayed in 4 other places in Las Begas & this will be our hotel of preference from now on.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Denton, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

We like nice, quiet accommodations when we travel (even in Vegas) and California Hotel provides just that. We always stay downtown as opposed to the strip, but this was our first time staying here. Check in was easy, room was clean, and beds were comfortable. Pool area is basic and the hotel does have an older crowd. It's just a short walk to Fremont Street and there is a 2nd floor walkway connecting California to Main Street Station. We will definitely stay here next time we go to Vegas.

Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

I like my travel arrangements to be simple, straightforward and honest so I can focus my attention on enjoying myself and that is what the California Hotel is!! Straight forward and honest pricing plus very nice staff. A bag was left in my hotel room by the previous occupants and the hotel staff helped to locate them and return their bag to them with prescriptions and glasses - I'm sure the trip would have been ruined for them without those necessary items and the staff went above and beyond to send the bag to them. Now that is what i call good service. They even called me back to tell me that they had located the owners and gotten them their bag and that relieved my mind. No hidden fees on anything , no extra charges - what they say is what you get - I like honest people I feel like I can relax and really enjoy myself.

Room Tip: All the rooms were excellent
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Laguna Hills, California, Usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I have stayed here many times as I have almost all of the downtown and strip hotels. This is a good hotel for cheap, quiet and clean. Nothing fancy just clean comfortable rooms. Staff is very friendly will accommodate just about any reasonable request. Its about a 1 minute walk to Freemont st. Crowd is a little older and less rowdy, so if you like to gamble without drunk 21 year olds all around you this is the place for you.

Room Tip: I prefer to stay in the rooms that are accessed by the elevators near the café, not the ones near th...
Whittemore, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

I stayed at the California in June, 2012. The room was clean, nicely furnished, and quiet. I enjoy Fremont Street, but don't especilally want to hear it late at night. California has rooms that are of good value for the price. Many options of places to eat in the hotel. The only draw back is the pool- it is very plain. But if you just want to work on your tan and cool off every now and then, it works. I would stay at the California again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

I had originally booked a 6 night stay at the Cal. We stayed at the Main Street Station last year and thought the Cal would be the same. Well after two days we checked out, wheeled our luggage to the Golden Nugget for the duration of our visit. This place is basically a DUMP. Dirty and stinky from all the smoke.

I had originally requested a room in the west tower and they gave me a room in the east tower. The sign on the floor said non smoking floor. The stench of cigarette smoke grossed both of us out. I opened the door to the room to see a really tiny room with a broken leaning lamp by the bed. The smell was horrible. So down we go to the front desk and requested a room in the west tower. The bed is old, hard and lumpy and the room was not very clean and the carpet was full of stains.

With a bank of 3 elevators, only one worked, so needless to say, everyone had to squish on the only one working. We tried to gamble in the casino, but the smoke was so thick and stinky we had to go outside for some fresh air. My husbands eyes were burning and constantly running from the smoke filled casino.

There is no air exchangers in there to filter out all that smoke. The rooms and furniture are old and in desperate need of repair and upgrading.

On the first day we were there, my players card did not work, so I headed over to the players club to get a new one. The employee working did not even say hello, could I help you....she said nothing to me but was in a deep conversation with another person. What...am I invisible. All I wanted was a new players card, I did not want to hear the drama going on from these two people. She handed me my card and still did not acknowledge me.

I spoke to a manager and requested to refund me for at least one night and they said no. So needless to say, I am not happy with this.

Before you book this hotel, do your homework. This is not the place if you are a non smoker. If you stay there, you will inhale cartoons of second hand smoke. The east tower is horrible. If you stay there, you will be smoking at the Cal with the rest of them. Just the smell alone will drive you out.

Also, don't ask for a Singapore Sling at the San Francisco Pub, the bartender will give you something that tastes like cherry cough syrup........that was gross also.

On a positive..........The Pasta Pirate is an excellent restaurant with great food.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Sarah S, Boyd Gaming Customer Service at California Hotel, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Thank you for your review. We appreciate you taking time to tell us about your experience. We have researched the events of your stay and found that while our management staff attempted to address your concerns, not every need was met. We sincerely apologize that this was the nature of your time with us. We strive to treat every guest as an extended member of our family and we regret that this was not what you experienced. Again, we thank you for your critique and will do our best to address these issues so that we may earn your future business.
Los Angeles, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at California Hotel many times. The hotel is old but for me, that is part of the charm staying downtown. The rooms are well maintained and have always been clean. The casino is divided between two floors. They still have coin video poker machines. I find downtown to be a break from the chaos of the strip. Don't miss the buffet at Main Street Station which is connected to the California Hotel. I would not bring children to this property. There is nothing here for children.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Been to California Hotel? Share your experiences!