“Decent for one night” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #108 of 272 Hotels in Las Vegas
White Lake, Michigan
“Decent for one night”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

We only were looking for one night downtown and picked The D for location and price. Of course you have to remember to double the on-line price because they have a $20 resort fee that is mandatory. I knew about this from Trip Advisor but still wanted to ask where I could find the resort amenities!! The D may be a newer name and ownership but it is a dark tired old building. The beds were OK and it was not too noisy but one night was enough. Staff at check in & out were not very personable.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Sarah C, Manager at The D Las Vegas Casino Hotel, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Thank you for the review. The resort fee includes free Wi-Fi as well as $10 off show tickets at the D Showroom. Even though we have added the resort fee, we have also dropped our room rates in order to keep our prices competitive. We apologize for the negative experience you had while checking in/out and we will be working to make the process more enjoyable for our guests.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
  • Polish first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

I stayed here to try it out as I had heard about the resurgence of downtown Vegas. Perhaps part of my problem was I had just spent 2 days at the hard rock hotel, and decided to move downtown for my last 2 days. "Big mistake" The hard rock is a very classy hotel, this isn't.
I paid for an upgraded corner suite and it was not worth it. Everything here is old, and yes they do have great signs on the hotel but that affects the window as the sign is actually a shade over the whole side of the building. My window overlooking the city was filthy and full of bugs under the shade. When I asked about it, I was told that sorry the sign did indeed keep the windows dirty if it rains and they only clean them every couple of weeks.
Then there is the loud music off Freemont street. I was 20-25 floors up but it still was way too loud up until 1 am or so. I requested a quiet room upon check in and was told if it was too noisy the first nite they would switch me. So the next day I was switched to a room on the back side which is very quiet but the worst room ever! Outside of my window was a junk site for all sorts of old hotel equipment! I was on the 16th floor and my view was a patio of rusting air conditioners! The bathroom had a tub in it that I'm guessing was 30-40 years old and was really hard to stand up in to take a shower. It seemed like my room had missed the reno's !!
And the smoke did I mention the smoke.... You cannot escape the smoke anywhere in the hotel, from casino to the rooms, if youre a non smoker, you wont like it here.
All in all I respect that The De promotes itself as the new and improved downtown Vegas, but I would never stay here again. One of the most disappointing hotel stays of my life. Partially the hotel, but also downtown Vegas is a world of its own. A cliential entirely different than the strip.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Sarah C, Manager at The D Las Vegas Casino Hotel, responded to this review, November 23, 2013
Downtown is a bit of a different experience than the Strip, and visitors looking for a normal Strip experience will be disappointed. It's unfortunate to hear that your stay was less than satisfactory, but we do appreciate the feedback.
Terceira, Portugal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

We came to Vegas for a wedding and my husband and I along with about 30 other family members stayed at the hotel. We received a large group discount and everyone was very impressed with the hotel price, service, and atmosphere. Our room was very nice and spacious and the casino had great games with a good price. One thing about the casino at The D is it's not well ventilated compared to casinos on the strip. One weird thing I must not forget to mention is that we did find some stain on our throw pillow on our bed, looked like mustard or some kind of food. I don't know how the cleaning staff could have missed it. When we called the front desk they acted like it was no big deal at all and no explanation or apology was given, just someone who came to change our sheets. That's the only negative thing I have to say about the hotel. Best part about our stay at The D was the restaurant in the hotel, The D Grill. YUM!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Sarah C, Manager at The D Las Vegas Casino Hotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
We apologize for the issue you had with the bedding and appreciate the feedback regarding the response from the front desk. Otherwise, we are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay!
Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

My husband and I have stayed in Vegas a number of times, but this is our first stay on Fremont Street (one of my favourite places). I like Fremont Street because it's a bit gritty, a great place to watch people, and there are many things to see within easy walking distance (not always true on the Strip). It's the everyman's Vegas and I feel comfortable on Fremont Street. The D Hotel is an old hotel that has been renovated, and I would say they did a very good job. Our room was a standard hotel room, but it felt new, and I liked the red and white colour scheme and the interesting graphics. The beds were very comfortable and I loved the duvets. The staff we encountered at check-in, and when we had questions, were friendly and efficient. Our TV remote didn't work, so we called to the front desk and someone came to fix it within 5 minutes - impressive! My husband used the wi-fi quite a lot without complaint. There were two things that I didn't like about the hotel: 1) our room overlooked one of the outdoor stages. We couldn't hear the entertainment, but there was an intercom voice that talked incessantly until well after midnight every day. 2) The housekeeping staff started knocking on people's doors before 9am - that seemed just cruel in Las Vegas! So while I liked this hotel, I didn't feel well rested at the end of my trip.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
We take pride in how comfy our beds are and we're happy to hear you agree. We are also glad to hear that the front desk was quick to resolve the issue you had. Thank you for the review and we appreciate the feedback from your stay.
Lakewood, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

Wanted to stay in downtown and tried the D! Staff was great, bartenders fun to watch at the long Bar. Spent 4 nights and our room was noisy due to the fact that a stage is located right next to the D. This is a great place if you are in the 21-40 age group! We are in our 60's! It is good to see Fremont revamping itself.

Room Tip: Higher floors away from street noise.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
We appreciate your review. For future reference, we are happy to move guests away from Fremont Street if the music proves to be too loud for them, per availability. We agree, with all of the revamping, it's an exciting time to be in downtown Las Vegas! We would love for you to join us again soon.
Farmington, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

We stayed at this hotel recently.. check in was quick and swift, with no more freebies... Our room was comped. We did have food comps of $50.00 that has to be used at ALL AT ONE TIME.. there is an italian steakhouse, but the wine list is more extensive then the menu.. and too spendy for us.. we are not picky eaters, but we ended up using our comp on breakfast.. steak and eggs was a nice treat.. service was soooo slow... the music is ttoooo loud, the pool is still ice cold, the elevators still small with long waits... the rooms are done very nice.. ac runs constantly.. room temp good, slow drain, and less water pressure on higher floors. scratchy toilet paper, and last but not least.. very very tight machines !!!! but, if they comp our room again, this is where we will stay... WE LOVE FREE !

Room Tip: ask for a room on the zipline/walgreens side. much quieter
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We appreciate hearing the aspects of your stay that did not meet your expectations, so we know where to improve in the future. We hope you'll join us for another stay the next time you are in Vegas!
Southern Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

The hotel opens right onto the Fremont Street Experience. Room was clean but outdated. It's pretty clear that the recent renovations included new paint, pictures, and linens but not much else. Music at the bar was extremely loud. It was too loud to even sit and enjoy drinks and a few hands of video poker so I went to a different hotel for that. Keurig coffee maker in the room was a nice touch. I'm planning another trip Downtown later this month but unless the D is irresistably inexpensive I will look elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for the review and we appreciate the feedback from your stay.

Been to The D Las Vegas Casino Hotel? Share your experiences!