“Very Pleased” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #109 of 272 Hotels in Las Vegas
Yukon, Oklahoma
“Very Pleased”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

We only stayed at The D Las Vegas one night, but we found it very comfortable. The room was clean with nice cold air and shower had a new shower head on it with an elbow extension so you didn’t have to stoop to get under it (a taller person would but not quite as low as normal). The only complained I would have had is the elevators were slow crowded and one of the 4 was not working and this is a common problem with older hotels everywhere I go. I was on the third floor so I took the stairs to avoid the elevators.

Room Tip: If you are willing to take the stairs try to stay floors 3, 4 or 5. It is an easy walk and the stair...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Sarah C, Manager at The D Las Vegas Casino Hotel, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
You are correct, the elevators can be slow at times, and it has become a priority to get them into better working order. Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, we appreciate the feedback!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (346)
  • Polish first
Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights last June, on a random trip to Vegas. Located in the downtown/freemont area, its away from the hustle and bustle of the strip.

Positives:

- Cheap!!!

Negatives:

- Casino is pretty much ratchet-ville full of sketch bags
- Hotel might be nice, but the rooms need upgrade and proper maintenance
- The bathroom was absolutely disgusting
- Sink did not drain properly and would overflow
- Some type of gross sewer gunk kept shooting up from the sink
- Pretty obvious room had not been cleaned in a while

I would most definitely NOT recommend this hotel to anyone. Despite its cheap price, its just not worth it. If you want to stay downtown, you should stay at the Plaza instead, which actually has nice rooms and bathrooms, and not full of sketchy people throughout their hotel. #JustSaying!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Sarah C, Manager at The D Las Vegas Casino Hotel, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
It's unfortunate to hear that you had such an unpleasant time during your stay with us, but thank you for the feedback. We appreciate it!
Beldenville, Wisconsin, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for the first time since it was Fitzgeralds. We were pleasantly surprised with the modern updates throughout and overall our stay was enjoyable. Our room was very clean, had up-to-date amenities including a flat-screen TV, Keuring coffee maker, a super comfy king-size bed with crisp white linens and plenty of pillows, and Bath and Body Works toiletries. The only downfall was that I don't think they installed a new A/C system and it sounded like a diesel truck. It could have to do with us being on the 26th floor, but it was so loud you couldn't even watch TV. But, we weren't in the room much anyways because we love to gamble and found the machines and especially table games to be very entertaining and loose!! For the first time ever leaving Vegas we came home with more cash than what we started. We were glad to see they still had live keno upstairs. The bartenders all practice flair (the best I've seen on Fremont Street) and the music is fun and keeps you in the party spirit. If you like it more quiet the bar upstairs offers that. We ate at the D Grill twice—once for breakfast and once for late-night dinner. Both were very good and reasonably priced. I had a caesar salad with seared salmon and my husband and his parents all had prime rib—our bill was $65 total. We never made it to the pool, but maybe next time! Will definitely go back!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for the great review! Congratulations on the winnings, and we're looking forward to your next visit!
Kalamazoo, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I'll start by repeating a few points I made in my July 2012 review of The D ...
Don't stay here if you're on your honeymoon. Don't stay here if you need to be pampered. Don't stay here if you're a high-maintenance traveler who is more interested in critiquing a hotel than looking for a solid choice in downtown Las Vegas. The Strip has plenty to offer for people who fall into any of the aforementioned scenarios.

If you're set on staying downtown, you couldn't do better than The D. My low-maintenance buddy and I spent the nights of July 3-6 (2013) at The D and agreed that for the price and what you get, you probably aren't going to find a better value. We're both in our late 40s, we're both downtown kind of guys and we didn't feel the need to pay for a place with bells and whistles. Again, The D was the right choice.

The real bonus was bumping into the owner, Derek Stevens, at the bar during our stay. He's about as down-to-earth as you'll find amongst any casino/hotel owner in Las Vegas. At some point, I'll try to include the photo taken of my buddy, me and Mr. Stevens.

Oh, our bathroom sink was slow to drain. Considering that was the biggest concern about our hotel room, no question The D was the right choice. Our AC unit worked fine ... we heard from a few staff members that not all were at 100 percent operation during the 115-degree days they had the week before our stay. At a few points on Saturday night, there was a wait for the elevators.

Other random thoughts ... the D Café had a great breakfast for around $30 (not including coupons we were given upon check-in). The dancers on the first-floor casino area added a nice, throwback atmosphere. You can't beat being a few steps from Walgreens.

Looking forward to our next visit to Vegas and no question we'll stay at The D. Nicely done, Mr. Stevens.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 1836 ... a room any higher will result in a longer ride on the elevator for all th...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Sarah C, Manager at The D Las Vegas Casino Hotel, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Thank you for the positive review, and we're looking forward to your next visit!
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed here the weekend after the 4th of July. We try and stay at a different hotel each time we go to experience all of them. Although when it comes to staying downtown Las Vegas, we've really only considered the Golden Nugget (which is fabulous by the way.) The Golden Nugget happened to be sold out this weekend, so we decided to give the D a try as the rates were pretty reasonable.

First off, the location is excellent if you're one of those that prefers Fremont Street to the strip. For location I give it a 5 star. The reason I'm giving this place 3 stars is because the rooms were actually kind of gross. This place boasts a recent remodel, but unless it was only the bed dressings, I didn't see it. We checked in and even though I had booked a king size bed online, they only had had rooms with two queens available. We waited at what was a very slow elevator to take us up to the 16th floor, and in the midst of the elevator travel, others in the elevator were discussing how their family member had gotten stuck in the elevator earlier. Lovely!

We got to our room and it was disgusting! There were beer caps in the radiator event, a film of dirty so thick on the window that I couldn't see outside in daylight. The bathrooms, well that's a treat altogether. The bathtub was chipped and scratched on the tub floor, the shower curtain old looking, and the floor hadn't been mopped. In one corner there were pubic hairs on the floor and other various hairs from whichever person or people happened to be there before us. I never do this, but I decided to call the front desk and see if we could change rooms. The phone, was covered in a thick layer of dust (did they clean this room at all?) The front desk never picked up so I had to go all the way downstairs in the extremely slow elevator again. They moved us to another room. The second room had an equally run down bathroom, but without the pubic hairs, so I guess that'll suffice.

I think next time I'll stay at the Golden Nuggest. So much for venturing out.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the feedback. We deeply apologize for the state of the room you had, which is unacceptable. We appreciate the review, and will use your experience to ensure this type of incident does not happen again in the future.
Las Vegas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

the room was very clean and appealing for the price but the east wall with its large glass windows had its drawback since much heat entered into the room and the ceiling to floor drapes had to be kept closed all the time. The bathroom sink drained extremely slow and the toilet tank would not flush properly. I had to call the desk for repairs for these 2 things. Since these 2 issues were very inconvenient I would have expected the hotel to cancel the $10 fee they charged me for mailing my daughters car keys back to Phoenix since she forgot them in the dresser drawer.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Thank you for the review. With the trouble you encountered with your room, it was our mistake for not waiving the charge. We appreciate the feedback, and hope you'll choose to stay with us again.
Cathedral City, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

The D Hotel is conceptually really a big improvement and a huge plus to a newly reinvigorated downtown Vegas. Seems like they spared little expense on the redesigned Casino and signage. The classic coin slots are really fun. But if you are staying here, the renovation really was done on the cheap when it came to rooms. Our AC was old and very inadequate to cool the room. The hallways, bathrooms and fixtures were unchanged from the previous hotel. Popcorn ceilings give away the age of the property and demonstrate that they didn't complete the remodel.

I suggest updating the HVAC (which can be done over time as it is hugely expensive), and recarpeting the halls / re painting or wallpapering the hallways and swapping out doorknobs and other unimproved fixtures (which can be done inexpensively).

I like the direction the D is heading and would give them another shot in the future. But if you're looking for luxury downtown, The Golden Nugget remains the gold standard...

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The D Las Vegas Casino Hotel? Share your experiences!