“WONDERFUL TIME” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
los angeles, ca
“WONDERFUL TIME”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2009

We had a great room with a view of east mts. The buffet was very good. The service was really good. Big casino. Very comfy room. Will stay again

Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
  • Polish first
Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2009

We were using this hotel as a jump off for our 10 day Zion, North Rim, Page and Sedona loop. We wanted a good night sleep after a long flight, so we booked off the strip.

First, I'll start with the positive: We paid $26.95/night plus $4.50/night hotel fee...not bad. We decided to book 2 rooms for the four of us to spread out, because this great rate. The front desk staff were very polite and friendly. Check in was a breeze. The TGI Fridays and hotel breakfast buffet were great. If you sign up for the Club Coast card, they give you $1 off the buffet. We loved the atrium and water/laser show. The hotel rooms were fairly clean and attractive, but small.

Now the bad: There were areas of the hotel that were showing its age, such as the carpets on the 7th floor. Also, some of the hotel patrons used the garden containers in the atrium as trash receptacles. I could ignore all of this and probably give the hotel a 4 star overall. However, my last and largest complaint is the paper thin walls. My family had connecting rooms. The ladies in the room to the right of our room came in at 1:30 am and laughed and cackled until 3:30 am when I think I finally just passed out from exhaustion. They were having a great time. I don't begrudge them...that is what Vegas is all about for most who come. My kids had the room on the left and told me in the morning that their neighboring room's alarm clock when off at 1 am and the patron didn't come in til 3 am to shut it off. Then, he turned on the TV for a couple hours. Again, don't begrudge the patron, but the walls are literally paper thin. Don't plan on getting any sleep if you have a neighboring room with patrons who don't share your sleeping habits.

Last, this is also a positive. When checking out, the front desk staff asked how my stay was and I laughed and said exhausting. She asked what I meant and I explained about the noise coming from our neighboring rooms. The hotel credited me $15/per room plus the $4.50/night per room. So it cost me next to nothing to stay.

Again, if you don't plan on sleeping, this may be the place for you. But, if you need a good night sleep, you will not get one at Sams Town, due to paper thin walls.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Glen Head, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2009

I only picked staying at this hotel because I was traveling with my senior parents and thier senior friends and they had free nights. I had to pay because I am not a real gambler type person. When I arrived I was in the atrium thinking, gee this is nicer than I expected. Well then I arrived to the room. Do not believe the pics you see on the internet. Some of the cheaper rooms are extremely dirty and run down. Run down does not bother me as much as dirty. When I am afraid to actually sit on the chair or bed because is it dirty. There was someone's hair all over the chair. I immediately called the lobby (It was late at night about 10pm) and said "I want a room that looks like the one you have on your internet site" she told me that I could have another room at the same cost or I can pay 25.00 more for the room they show on the internet. So I just payed the 25.00 more though I did agrue that it seemed unfair that I have to pay more money for a room so I do not have a dirty disgusting room???? The newer room was better and I could live with it for the 4 nights I was staying there. They said I had to come back down to the desk to make the switch since there was only one person at the front desk.

I would not go out of my way to stay at this hotel and even if they gave me free nights I would never stay there again. It is away from the strip and sort of boring. It is really meant for the locals I think.

As for dining I was actually very impressed with Billy Bob's restaurant and Willy & Jose's Cantina had GREAT Happy Hour with yummy Margarita's. The buffet was not really good.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Phoenix, AZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2009

I stayed at Sam's Town last year as I was passing through Las Vegas to meet up with a tour group for a kayaking trip in the Sierras.

I chose Sam's basically for the excellent room price advertised on their website -- as well as their off-strip location (which seemed best for me -- as I was planning an early morning departure and had little wish to fight traffic).

Desk clerk friendly and knowledgable, offered free room upgrade (overlook of Mystic Falls) at check in. Room much nicer than what you'd find at any lower-end chain for the same price: immaculate, nice-sized television, bed very comfortable.

I already knew of most amenities from visiting Sam's website, but was pleasantly surprised by their quality. Bowling alley, movie theater, and sit-down restaurants. They also have a couple "quick-grab" type places (a Subway outlet was one).

Didn't really gamble, so can't comment on that -- only dunked a few coins while I waited an hour for their Mexican restaurant to open for dinner (posted hours were wrong).

Food was well-prepared, but didn't wow me. Wait staff just the right amount of attentive.

Mystic Falls was awesome -- I'd say it's one of the better "free" shows in Vegas. (Maybe it just resonated, it being so DIFFERENT from what you might expect out of 'Vegas -- no glitz -- and me being outdoor girl that I am. Hey, I caught it 3 times & it didn't get old. But plenty of families and kids at the earlier shows -- locals, maybe??? -- would likely agree.) Do catch -- well worth your time.

Sam's is a great place to stay -- many amenities and a low-key, comfortable atmosphere as well as a smokin' hot value -- what's not to like???

I'd go back again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2009

Book early for a super-priced deal.
Ideal choice if you're picking up an RV from the depots situated along Boulder Highway (as several are).
Hotel is about $20 cab ride from Airport.
The quality is as good as the Strip Casino hotels.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Long Island, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2009

We started gambling at Sam's Town because we were not having any fun on the strip. The casino was relaxed and friendly. We decided to start staying there. The rooms are nicely decorated. Beds are comfortable. Service is top notch. Take the shuttle to the strip/convention center. I used to stay at Harrah's-never again. Stayed here the last 6 years, making my reservations to stay there again.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2009

After trying four other LV hotels during previous trips, my wife and decided to spend four nights at Sam's Town and are so happy we made the switch.
Our room was modern and large for the price we paid...between 39 and 49 dollars during the week. A great value for money option. The hotel's website even offers a better price if you are staying there within a month of your birthday. Worth a look.
Parking was easy and the access to the tower did not require swinging thru the casino. Very easy. The elevators were whisper quiet and reliable.
The front desk staff was friendly and super efficient. We were in our room in no time at all.
The Mystic Falls atrium fountain show is amazing. Do not miss this as it is one of the best free attractions LV has to offer.
The Firelight Buffet is the undisputed champion of the Vegas buffets. With your players card, breakfast is just $5.49 and dinner dips to $9.99 most evenings. The food was hot, tasted great and the atmosphere had class. High marks here.
Also, the coffee shop had a terrific late night sausage and eggs.
Sam's Town is a bit of a drive to the strip--approximately 20 minutes on Flamingo Blvd. However it is a predictable drive with few traffic snarls to worry about.
Sam's has a lot to offer and is a great find. We would stay here again without any hesitation at all. It is difficult to fault a nice hotel that does so many things so very right. A great four nights!

• Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple

Been to Sam's Town Hotel and Gambling Hall? Share your experiences!