“Nana too young MB” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #53 of 272 Hotels in Las Vegas
Bartonsville
“Nana too young MB”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

I absolutely love this place. It's off the stip, so peaceful. The restaurants are great. Rooms clean.
I have been going to Vegas for the last 20 years. Use to stay on the strip, too congested and expensive. The only place, I would stay, when I go there. Love it.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
  • Polish first
kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

We only stayed for 1 night at Sam's and as we didn't really fancy driving on the strip which is manic - we booked up... Not to mention the price was right and the reviews were mainly good!
To start with you can park in any of the car parks and all of them give you easy access to the casino/hotel. checking in was fast and friendly and we got a great room, clean, spacious and the bed was amazing after a long day out exploring.
Wifi comes with the tax you pay which didn't let us down but the only niggle, sorry... Was the plug sockets which are very loose and should be replaced!!
Apart from that Sam provides huge entertainment and food services- as a suggestion we didn't use the free shuttle as the timings were not good for us but we were pointed towards the bus stop which at under $3 each to the strip seemed a good idea to us. It took about 30 mins but it worked for us.
In addition, I know that Sam would like to keep its customers in house to spend their money, but the last shuttle back is rather early... for Vegas that is....how about extending ???
Otherwise thanks Sam, it was our pleasure!!

Room Tip: We were on floor 5.... No problem... Facing atrium!!!
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
San Luis Obispo, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

Staff were all courteous: reservation agent, valet, bell, front desk staff, deli, TGIF, buffet and maids. We booked the same day for 2 queen beds with $10 food/credit for $44.99 + tax, with an $11 resort fee +tax to be paid upon departure. When we booked, non-smoking rooms were available, but when we arrived 2 hours later, none were (???). They upgraded us to a mini-suite overlooking the indoor park and waterfall and gave us late checkout (1 p.m.). They also told us how to get to our room without walking all the way around the complex from the parking garage using a back entrance bridge. And they provided a coupon sheet for most of the non-gambling facilities (restaurant, bowling, etc.).
Rooms: good overall but some issues. Comfortable bed, nice amenities, lovely jacuzzi tub. But some of the couch seams were ripped open, the shower puddled water ALL OVER the floor if you didn't close the door just right, and there was a large paint bubble on the bathroom ceiling where water had obviously leaked from the room above. We stayed a second night due to a change in plans and were moved to a room overlooking the garage for $28.99, same food/credit, tax, fee, etc. It was an adjoining room, and the minute the people walked in, it was as if they were in our room....I could hear EVERY word even though the adjoining doors were both closed. I notified the front desk and the desk supervisor was very courteous and immediately moved us down the hall to an “upgraded” room overlooking the atrium. Both rooms were clean and well-kept.
The complex: we don't gamble. We enjoyed playing pool at TGIF's ($1/game). I liked the laser/light show they do at the indoor waterfalls (though my boyfriend thought it was hokey). The atrium park with a brook running through it with animatronic animals is fun, beautiful and a lovely change, a nice place to sit and read, people watch or nurse a coffee. All the rooms surround the atrium, so you don't have to go in the casino...unless you want food or the pool, the theatre or the bowling alley. These are spread out all over the edges of the casino, so you walk in the casino A LOT and for a long way. It wasn't smoky and was well-kept, which I appreciated. The buffet has an excellent salad bar, breakfast area, meat selection and dessert options but was lackluster in the Asian, Italian and Mexican sections. For $7.99 (lunch with the Boyd casino card, which took 5 minutes to get for $4 off), it was great. The deli's menu is very limited and the food only decent, though their dessert cakes are good and reasonably priced. TGIF was good but rather pricy. The movie theatre, pool and bowling alley are potential pluses for non-gamblers but have issues. I don't know what Vegas movie tickets cost now, but I thought $11.50 was kind of steep. The pool was small (20X40?) and shallow, surrounded by a high concrete wall, but had plenty of lounge chairs. It was dominated by kids and seemed crowded with 10 people in it. No outside food is allowed in the pool area, but the pool bar was closed even though it was only 4:00 p.m. We didn't see the bowling alley.

The minuses:
-–It is VERY hard to get off the street and then to find the front entrance, as the complex is sprawling with poor signage. If it's late, you're tired or it's hot, this can be frustrating.
--Check-in is not easy. There is no parking for registration. Everything in front of the entrance is marked “Valet Only.” Parking garages are a significant distance away (¼ mile walk). When I asked a valet where we could park, he told me to leave our car in the valet area while it was unloaded, then go park. Very confusing.
--There is only bell service, so you carry your own luggage or use a bellhop...you cannot access a luggage cart. No one tells you. I think they withhold the luggage carts to force you to use the bellhop and up their “star” rating. This was a big issue for us because we had been camping and could not leave anything visible in the car. (Even with minimal luggage, this could be problematic as rooms are some distance from entrance and check-in area.) We had to use a bellhop every time our room was changed because it was too much to carry ourselves without a cart. The “voluntary” tips added about $30 total.
--Most food venues close at 9 p.m., which I thought was crazy. Only TGIF's (not cheap) and the deli were open later (24 hours).
--We did not get the rate we were quoted. When I pointed this out, the guy said, “Well, it's only $3, but I'll take it off.” That's not the point! I'm not even sure it was a mistake, because the phone agent very clearly quoted the correct base rate at the very moment she was charging the other rate on my cc. How much extra income do they get from people just saying “Too much bother for a small amount”?
--Reservationists give inaccurate information about where the $10 food/drink credit can be used (as another reviewer pointed out). While booking, I asked VERY specifically if it could be used at the McDonald's or TGIF and was told yes. Checking in, I was told that no, it was only good at the buffet, the deli and the ice cream shop.
--No coffee machines or fridges in the room...they force you to buy from their concessions.
--An $11 resort fee...for what? The pool is insignificant and lacks services, wi-fi is now part of the expected package; there was no gym that I saw.

My overall take on the place is that it's clean, well-kept and has some nice indoor options for non-gamblers, as long as you get there before 9 p.m. But I also think that they will tell you whatever necessary to get you to book, even if they know it isn't accurate, and that there is a caveat emptor attitude to pricing and monetary information. Would I stay here again? Hard to say. I loved the atrium, but it ended up costing us about the same as the La Quinta when all was said and done, and the La Quinta is easy to get to, includes breakfast, and lets you use the luggage cart without surprise costs.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Lethbridge, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

I really like how they have built the inside rooms to look down into the center court which is the garden area.
Although the rooms are dated, they were clean. I would recommend staying during mid week if you are looking for a better rate. Ask for a room that looks into the center court.
Unfortunately we had one of the rooms that looked out at the air conditioning unit on the roof of the adjoining building. Luckily there was windows on the way to the elevator that you could peek out of and enjoy the garden.
At Christmas time they decorate the gardens with twinkling lights, and Santa Claus.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

A must see. This hotel has a mystic fall in the center and it is peaceful and beautiful. it's a little off the strip but so well worth the visit. May daughter is getting married there and the staff have been the best of the best. I recommend anyone that is planning a wedding to check this place out.

Room Tip: Every room is great but try to get one to overlook the atrium
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Santa Rosa, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

We booked thru the number listed, which was actually in Guatamala, and was assured they allow pets, however when we got there, they said they don't allow dogs. Their phone service needs to change. When we got there, he asked if it was a service dog, we said, "well ok" and they agreed to let her stay. The rate was very cheap as casinos often are. There are so many amenities here, including many places to eat, and you can get lost. Make sure you remember where you park - the lot is huge. The indoor fountain and garden is amazing. It has clean and very comfy beds. Staff was helpful and friendly.There was a nice flat screen TV that had plenty of channels to choose from, and a small refrigerator and an in-room safe. It is ~6 miles from the strip but shuttles run into town often, but this place has it all. Good place to stay1

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

The hotel was sooo beautiful. Workers were nice. The water show was amazing. The hotel's bedroom sheets & bathroom was actually CLEAN. I have a zero tolerance for roaches so that hotel gained more cool points with me. Because I am under age (18) I wasn't allowed to stay in the casino (still did) but the casino ok, cool drunk people haha. But one thing I did appreciate was that the security walked around the hallways at night, made me feel 100% safe. The only problem I had (this did not involve the hotel) was that the hallway smelled like feet and armpits because of the basketball players. But other than that amazing hotel & awesome water show and theater :)

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Sam's Town Hotel and Gambling Hall? Share your experiences!