“Great choice for our conference” 4 of 5 stars

SAVE UP TO 25% OFF!
Ranked #90 of 272 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersSilver level
Western WA
“Great choice for our conference”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

I attended a conference at the Rio last month and was very happy with everything. The reviews about bringing your own K-Cups were GOLDEN, since me + coffee just makes the world a better place.

My room was in the Ipanema tower, it was nicely appointed. I received excellent customer service at the front desk, I asked for and was given a quiet room at the end of the hallway (again based upon other reviews) I signed up for the 24 hour buffet pass for the first day since my conference did not start until the following afternoon. I was quite happy with the meals, although would have been disappointed if I had paid individually. The food is good and plentiful, but not awesome.

I appreciate all of the green and humane business practicies the hotel uses. All of their trash is sorted for recycling AND they are pet friendly. They also respect the feral cat colony living around the hotel.

I would definately stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,467)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Clayton, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I think the big reason to stay at the Rio is that its cheaper than the other mega-casinos on the strip (or even the Palms just a few blocks down). Stepping foot into any of the newer casinos on the strip only highlights just how old the Rio is. The whole place is a bit on the crummier, older side, from the restaurants to the casino to the rooms. Now the rooms are definitely clean and spacious but they are really not as nice as the newer (albeit more expensive) casinos. Plus the Rio is way off the strip so unless you're prepared to walk a few miles or take a cab, you'll be stuck at the Rio your entire time in Vegas.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I had been staying at the MGM all week which is my favorite hotel and a great hotel. I had checked out and later found I had to stay an extra night. Due to a concert the MGM was very expensive so through Expedia I found a good rate at the RIO. I hadn't stayed there before so was a bit nervous. To my surprise this was a great and fun hotel.

On arrival I went to check in thinking short notice Expedia booking will get me the worst room..total opposite. The Gentlemen checking me noticed I hadn't stayed there before and upgraded me to 2000sq/ft Penthouse suite. The room was incredible I only wish I had a group of friends to help me enjoy the place.

The Casino Bar is fabulous, the bartenders were very entertaining and the gogo dancers were a nice touch. The Bar and Grill has great food and generous portions, you wont leave hungry.

Voodoo Lounge is really cool. It was quiet night but I did leave early it probably picked up.

To top it all off, when I checked out I forgot my phone charger in my room. Two hours later I realized my mistake. I went to security and the security guy tracked down the chamber maid that cleaned my room and retrieved my charger. Talk about a staff that cares I was amazed to get this back.

Room Tip: If you can afford it the Penthouse Suite was incredible. I am sure the regular rooms are great but I...
Spokane, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

This review is based on our stay for a convention and not gambling. I agree with another post about the hotel being smoky (more so then other casinos). Check in line was huge and took about 20 minutes but thought it might be longer. Our room was very nice, mountain view. I perfer this because I think it was noisier the last time on the freeway side. The room was very nice, beds were comfy although there was a noticable sag in the mattresses. The bathroom however was motel 6 level and needs to be updated. Water was hot, pressure okay. Two starbucks in the building. The one near the convention hallway was much faster. However prices were higher then at home.

Free shuttle was nice but the wait was at times long. I think it must run every 30 minutes. Took it a few times but we took taxis more often if we had a time we needed to get there. Drops off on the back side of Bally's. I was amazed when we were waiting of the shuttle to drop the guests only 1 lady out of 40 tipped the driver. Come on people, $1 or $2 tip for a few ride is manageable. The taxi ride to the strip averaged about $10 each time for 3 of us.

Since early check in had a fee we didnt ask for late check out but 11am see really early. Since our flight was at 9pm. Given the cost of the room this trip ($50) per night, I should have got the room one more night so we could spend more time in our room. We had walked a ton this weekend and wanted to just lounge and read. No places for this except we noticed although the starbucks was closed they area is open and we hung out on the couchs and read. Very dark in this area but we had electronic readers so this wasnt an issue. Daughter was able to charger her phone for the trip and has free wifi in this area. Only problem was the airconditioner was full blast so ony about 60 degrees in this corner. Maybe to avoid squatters like us!

Tip--if you are coming for a convention and getting a special rate, ours was $128. I checked online thru the Rio directly and got $50 per night on my own. Better deal this time but alot. However last time we were there over a weekend, one night was better convention rate and one night was better on my own. No problem linking my two reservations together. Just check all avenues before booking.

Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I stayed here for 5 nights at the beginning of November. It was my first time to Vegas (I was there on business) and the Rio makes me never want to go back again. Here are my issues:

1. It took over half an hour to check in. I had to stand in line dragging all my luggage behind me every the line inched forward.
2. The casino is VERY smokey. I've worked in several bars in the past and have never been bothered by the smoke. There must be ventilation issues, or none at all.
3. I didn't have a hot shower the entire time I was there. At best it was luke warm but most the time it was awful and miserable. The shower drain also didn't drain quickly, so I had to stand in pool of cold water.
4. The walls are very thin. I was awoken several times just by the people next door having a conversation. One night I was awoken by loud music coming from 16 floors below me shaking the bed. I barely got any sleep while I was there.
5. You can hear the plumbing all around you constantly. I know I sound like I'm a kvetch but it was loud enough to wake me up at night.
6. My room key was deactivated several hours before I checked out, so I had to go all the way down to the desk (which is really far) and have them give me a new a key.

The only caveat is that the service was great. Everyone at the hotel was really nice and helpful. Overall, if it's cheaper and you're only in Vegas for a few hours to party, sure why not. But if you actually want to get some sleep and have a decent shower, then no.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Last year, we got married at the flamingo, and decided to come back for our anniversary. Te price was decent, and we decided to give the rio a try. We did early check in for ten dollars, and after the flight at 6am from Miami, I would have paid anything :). Check in was a breeze, and our luggage was delivered with no problems at all.
The room was large, and very clean. It was cleaned daily by 2. The hotel is off the strip, but they have a shuttle that takes you back and forth to and from the strip. No problems here.
The buffet was awesome, we did the buffet of buffet pass. Great deal, and you can eat at any of the harrahs group hotels.
The show in the sky was cool, although they are stingy with the beads.....
There is a large variety of slots at the hotel too!
Drink service was excellent, no shortage of drinks. They were quick on bringing you your drinks. Tipping doesn't hurt either!
Check out was easy, I did it on the tv in the room. If you have a Keurig at home, I suggest bringing your own with you, as they have them in the mini bar, 3/8.

We loved it here, and will return again :)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Date of stay: November 15, 2012.

Reservations:
Super easy to make reservations and the price was very reasonable.

Parking:
Parking garage on the north side had plenty of free parking. It was not too bad of a walk to get to the hotel front desk.

Check-in:
Check-in is at 4:00 pm. If you check in before this time a $15 fee applies. Come on Rio, that is just plain wrong! Plus the lines were very long with only 3 people on the desk. It took about 10 minutes for each person to check-in. SInce most people do not want to pay the extra $15 for early check-in, the line became very long quickly at 4:00 pm. The Rio needs to change this policy and put more personnel on the front desk at 4:00 pm. The elevators are quite a ways from the front desk as there are two towers. The older tower is closer to the front desk.

Resort Fee:
This hotel DOES NOT charge a resort fee. The fee for wi-fi is $13.99 per day.

Room:
The room was large and clean with a king size bed. The flat screen TV will pull out from the cabinet and you can tilt it to watch TV from bed. There was a decent channel selection. The room decor was just fine...not too old and not too new. The bathtub had plenty of hot water. There is an iron and iron board, safe, refrigerator and mini-bar. NOTE: Anything you remove from the mini-bar, even if you do not open the item, you will be charged. Such as coffee to use the coffee maker in the room is $8 for a 3 pack! A small jar of cashews were $12!

Carnival World Buffet:
The food was outstanding and the service was great. There was a huge selection of freshly prepared dishes,even for lunch. You do get a discount with your Total Rewards card. Also, check online for local discounts if you live in the Las Vegas area. Lunch was without card $21.99 plus tax , with card $19.99 plus tax, but with a locals coupon (yes I am a local) the cost dropped to $9.99 plus tax. The food was outstanding and the service was great. They even have a full service bar in the buffet that is not included in the buffet price but it was great touch to have that option. There was a huge selection of freshly prepared dishes, even for lunch. There are several other restaurants including a Burger King where you can order a beer with your food.

Casino:
Plenty of gaming and slot machines on this large property. Thursday - Saturday, between 6:00 pm - 11:00 pm, every hour on the hour, they do have free entertainment known as the Masquerade Show in the Sky. It lasts about 30 minutes and is very entertaining to watch. The show is different each hour. The male and female singers do sing live which was a very nice change. The dancers and singers all do an excellent job with the show. This is a must see for everyone.

Check-out:
You can use the TV check-out; however, mine did not work. No big deal, you just call a number on the telephone and leave a voice mail.

I would recommend this off strip hotel and casino to everyone. No, this is not a super fancy hotel but for what you pay, compared to other properties, it is worth the money as the personnel really do care about the guest and everyone seemed to be friendly and happy which is rare in the hotel/casino industry.

Room Tip: Park in the north parking garage as usually it is not full.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Been to Rio All-Suite Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!