“A-M-A-Z-I-N-G” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Melbourne, Australia
“A-M-A-Z-I-N-G”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

I usually stay elsewhere, but chose the Rio for one night so we could go and see Penn & Teller without leaving the complex. It was probably the most amazing hotel stay I have ever had! We got upgraded to a suite on the 25th floor and it was bigger thatn my house, with a spa and views TO DIE FOR. I am sure not every room is quite as amazing, but the hotel itself was just great! Great pools, restaurants and service. Although it is set back from the strip you can get the free shuttle which runs very regulalry from Harrahs. Penn and Teller are the most amazing magicians on earth (and I am a magician groupie) ... It's don't tastefully and is very clever ... doesn't need all the glitz and flashing lights like Criss Angel. Awesome stay ...

Room Tip: Even the King Suites are very nice .... but pray, pray, pray for an upgrade!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,901)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

Just returned from staying at the Rio in Las Vegas. Will never stay at this hotel again.

First of all, when I called to make the reservation, I asked for a specific room. The agent stated that they would be sure to note my request on the reservation and if that room was not available to give us something similar. We arrived after 4 pm and were told by the disinterested man at check in desk stated that nothing was noted about a specific room and that in any case it wasn't available, nor was any similar room. In addition, since the World Series of Poker was being held at the hotel, our room wasn't ready. When we asked when it would be availabe, he said he didn't know, "Maybe an hour more." When we asked the unconcerned man what time check-in was, he said he didn't know, maybe 5 pm (it is 4 pm). We were finally allowed to go to our room at 5:30 pm. The room was ok, but it was facing the back of the hotel and even on the 14th floor, we could here the bottles being thrown into the dumpster. As for being a suite, I guess if you put a sofa in a room that makes it a suite. If I had been told that the WSOP was being held at the Rio and rooms would be scarce, I would have booked a different hotel!!

Secondly, the valet pick-up is not at the front door as it is at all the other hotels, it is around the corner. That may seem a trivial complaint but my 84 year old mother was with us and she has difficutly walking, the extra steps were hard for her.

Next time I will choose a hotel whose front desk staff has better customer service!

Room Tip: If you do choose to stay here, ask if they will be hosting any events which would prevent you from h...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Palm Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

I've stayed here several times in the last 10 years with the last being 2007. In that time it does not appear that there has been even an attempt at a makeover. The room decor is dated the lobby is dated, the casino is dated. The good news was that the room was really cheap. The rooms are really just large rooms with a sectional, not really suites. The TV was still a tube TV not a flat screen (I guess you're not really supposed to watch TV in Vegas anyway).

Room Tip: Avoid rooms with an East view (in the Ipanema tower) as the sun can cause the room to be hotter than...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Linton, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

We stayed there for 5 days in March 2012. This place was huge! Staff was friendly, cocktail waitresses on the floor were super nice (and my hubby said cute too). Loved the free Floating in the Sky show! Convention center was huge. Loved the shuttles to the strip - that was very helpful! There is a convience store with in walking distance that we used to stock up the empty mini fridge in the room. The street near the exit for the trams,go right & go down that street for a block or two and it's on the left.(don't use the pre stocked one because it's got a weight sensor to know if something has been taken out and you will be charged if it's taken out - this alone saved us a killing, all the snacks we need right there!) But everything was awesome!

My ONLY and I mean ONLY complaint was the charges for the internet for the room. No free WiFi anywhere. I really wanted to do some stuff on my laptop during our re-cooperation time but that was a no go due to the OUTRAGEOUS rates for the wifi usage. So that was killed, but truly I don't think you'll find that anywhere in Vegas.

Room Tip: Even the basic rooms are larger than most in Vegas, they have an "L" shaped couch, king be...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Kissimmee, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

I stayed here two years ago for the WSOP and loved it but this year was not so great. The food was expensive and nearly tasteless. I paid nearly $40 for prime rib that was as tough as a shoe and not close to medium rare at the American Grill. (For the same price at Caesar's 24 hour eatery I got a perfectly medium rare 8 oz. filet mignon that I could cut with a butter knife!) The Irish pub that had great sandwiches during my last visit was gone but there was a banner indicating that another would be coming soon. I couldn't believe that they didn't have it open in time for the WSOP/Independence Day crowds. The buffet was huge, but much of the food looked like it had been sitting out for hours despite the 30 minute line to get in. I was having back problems, so I wasn't able to depend on the shuttle to take me to the strip (couldn't walk to other hotels), which really cost me a lot in taxis. Next time, I will stay on the strip, rent a car and use the free valets; I was offered a very reasonable rate for a rental through an online booking service that was less than the cost of one taxi ride plus tip! And I agree with a previous poster who said that it was difficult to get the room cold for sleeping. There is no way my room was 65 degrees, regardless of what the thermostat said. I have noticed that many hotels now have a motion detector that shuts off the A/C when no one in the room is moving (like when you're sleeping!) I can appreciate that they want to save money and energy when guests are out of the room, but there should be an override for when we are sleeping.

Also, I have been going to Vegas for the past 15 years and I thought that the comps were really lacking this time around. In years past, they gave me better room rates and comped my room service meals. This time, they offered $13 off my room charges. Wow, really? Yeah, I'm a poker player so I'm used to crappy comps, but I did spend money on the video poker machines and three card poker tables every night after I played in the poker tournys and they supposedly gave me points for all of the money I spent in the sundries shop.

I have to say that the one bright spot (and the only reason I didn't mark this as hotel as "poor") was the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. My room was very clean and I appreciated the fact that unlike other hotels where I have stayed (even in Vegas!), they completely honored the "Do Not Disturb" sign. It is really aggravating to have housekeeping to call or knock to "see if you want towels" or for some other lame excuse or worse yet, to ask for a late check out and have the housekeeper bang on your door 15 minutes before the regular check out to ask if you're planning on checking out soon, but that is not a problem at Rio. They respect you and understand that someone who is up all night gambling might not want to be disturbed and is perfectly able to either pick up the phone or track down a housekeeper if they need towels. The casino and front desk staff were also friendly and professional.

Room Tip: If you want to be closer to the WSOP and the front door, ask for the Masquerade tower, not the Ipane...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Pittsburgh, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

For the second year in a row, I stayed at the Rio for 6 nights during the World Series of Poker. The Rio is off the Strip but it just makes sense for me to stay here where the WSOP was rather than possibly finding a cheaper place on the Strip and commuting back and forth.

I wouldn't call the rooms at the Rio a "suite", although they do seem bigger than your standard non-casino hotel room. My suite had a king size bed, a couch, a coffee table, a smaller table (more like a desk) with two chairs, and another easy chair-type chair. It also had your standard shower and other facilities you'd expect (hair dryer, etc). The room comes with a safe that you choose the combination for, and it also comes with a mini fridge, which I love. The bed was comfortable and since I was alone, I got to hog all four pillows.

My entire stay there, I only heard other guests maybe twice as they were walking down the hallway. But I was towards the end of a very long hallway so I don't know how busy it was outside my room. An occasional door slam, someone above me dropped something, a toilet flush. Pretty quiet. Over all, I liked my room.

But there are always the bad things. The Rio still uses big tube type TVs that don't have the best picture. With the price of flat TVs being so low (and I'm sure lower still if you bought them in bulk), it was a bit of a surprise. But it's not like I'm not going to stay there because they had an old TV. The blow dryer was spitting out very hot air, just not very forcefully. Not too much of a big deal as I don't spend a lot of time with a blow dryer. I didn't ask the front desk about it though. I always have trouble with the air conditioning at Harrah's properties. I like my room cold, but I just couldn't get it cold enough. The thermostat doesn't go below 65, and there was no way it was 65 in there when it kept turning off. Sometimes I'd wake up during the night because I was hot. Generally speaking, these are all minor.

The staff was very friendly. The house keeping staff greeted me with hardy good mornings when I walked down the hall. One thing I did like about the house keeping staff...when I travel alone for a couple nights, I usually just keep the 'do not disturb' sign hanging outside. I'm just one person...I don't need my bed made and fresh towels every day. At other hotels, housekeeping usually comes in anyway. Not this time. They respected my DND until finally one morning I had a note in my key card lock saying they might come in the next morning. That's understandable. I had been there for 4 nights and I'm sure they'd like to get in every once in a while. But I liked how they honored my do not disturb.

Getting to the Strip was no problem as the Rio has a shuttle that takes you to the Strip. It runs every 30 minutes from 10am to 1am. This was good as I had a ticket to see the Blue Man Group. So I just hopped the shuttle, saw the show, and hopped the shuttle back (I'm not much of a Strip person).

The casino itself is a little small and there does seem to be a fair amount of smokers. But I really don't like smoke so it might not bother you as much. There are non-smoking areas. Since I was playing poker, I can't speak for the cocktail service or the professionalism of the casino staff. Seems like they have a decent variety of slots.

There's various restaurants on property but I'm not very flashy. Every morning I got the Rio Style French Toast (Vanilla Battered Cinnamon Bun French Toast with Pecans and Berries) at the São Paulo Cafe. I love this dish and I pretty much got it every morning I was there last year too. And most dinners were a blue cheese cheese burger and fries at the All American Bar & Grill.

I'm planning on going back to the World Series of Poker next year and will have no problems booking my room at the Rio.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Arroyo Grande, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

It may be a little off of the strip but they have a shuttle that takes you to the strip if you want to walk around there. The casino buffet is great and the personnel at the casino are friendly and helpful.
The rooms are great, huge and nicely appointed. I found that for the money this was the best in Vegas.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Rio All-Suite Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!