“Generally nice hotel, but expensive, smoky, and impersonal” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Palazzo Resort Hotel Casino

You added The Palazzo Resort Hotel Casino to your Saves list
The Palazzo Resort Hotel Casino
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3325 Las Vegas Blvd South, Las Vegas, NV 89109 (The Strip)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #4 of 269 Hotels in Las Vegas
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersGold level
New York City
“Generally nice hotel, but expensive, smoky, and impersonal”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2009

This is another enormous hotel on the Vegas Strip. When my party booked the hotel, we were assured that it was not necessary to travel through smoking areas in order to get to our rooms. So untrue! You DO have to walk through the smoky casino to get to the elevators that go to the guestrooms.

Although the hotel putatively offers a "non-smoking corridor" through the casino, the so-called corridor, which is not enclosed and is more of an aisle than anything else, is: (a) not very wide, (b) poorly ventilated, (c) has only a few discreetly placed signs that don't specifically forbid smoking in the corridor, (d) has no one patrolling it to ensure that people are not smoking in it, and (e) smells strongly of smoke. The smoke went everywhere. The hotel pumps a ghastly scent to try to mask the smoke. The scent - by turns acidic and cloying - is perhaps even worse than the cigarette smoke. The odor goes everywhere, even to the shops in the mall adjoining the hotel and connecting the hotel to the Venetian. I am sensitive to smells, but generally tolerant of them. In this case, the smell was bad enough to trigger a headache everyday.

This is an enormous hotel. In order to run smoothly, guest interfaces are processed through a relatively anonymous and impersonal (but efficient and polite) set of systems. The hotel therefore lacks any personal feel. We dined several times at the Chinese restaurant Zine, which offered excellently executed (but very expensive) food, perhaps 3-4 times what it would cost in Manhattan Chinatown! You can charge purchases at the Palazzo's and Venetian's restaurants to your Palazzo hotel room. It will delay the sticker shock until you check out.

The rooms are spacious and clean, and I give an extra star for the fact that the beds are very comfortable (and unlike my previous stay at the Venetian, properly made), the separate shower very nice, and the free and plentiful parking much appreciated. This would be a four star property easily in my rating system. However, the smoky nature of the hotel and the headache-triggering scent limit this hotel to two stars, and I do not plan to return unless these are corrected.

• Liked — Beds comfortable and well-made.
  • Disliked — Smoke smoke smoke everywhere.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,321)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Bournemouth, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2009

Had stayed at The Venetian before, so knew what to expect in many ways from The Palazzo, its new sister. I didn't find the scent, smell or stink (depending on the reviewers below) off-putting - yes, it was there but after a couple of minutes became unnoticeable to me, and if it masks cigarette smoke in the casino, then that's fine by me. The suite was very nice and the view over the strip was great from the 34th floor. Ate at Morels restaurant which was very good indeed for steaks and oysters, and also at Sushi Samba which was pretty good but not as memorable as the ones in NYC. Would I go back? Probably, but would also consider the new "Encore" next to the "Wynn" as a brief trip in there was very impressive.

• Liked — View from 34th floor
  • Disliked — Nothing that needs mentioning
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Carmel, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2009

My wife and I stayed for two nights at the Palazzo, in a Luxury View category room. Check in was prompt, friendly and efficient. It should be noted, however, that we checked in on an off arrival date over the Christmas holiday; when we walked through the lobby the next day we saw approximately 100 people waiting to check in. I guess at a hotel this big you might have to expect this, especially if you are arriving at a peak time.
Several photos of the rooms have been posted of the hotel from other reviewers, and they are completely accurate. The room was great, with a super comfy bed (among the best I've slept in) and a great couch (finally a sleeper sofa that is comfortable!), Being that we were in a view room, I expected to be on a higher floor; the view was good but I'm not sure it would be worth paying extra for. Also, I have read in both past reviews and travel publications that the bathroom showers have multiple shower jets; this was not the case in our room. Perhaps they are only in higher category rooms, or are being retrofitted. The "turndown service" consisted only of chocolates on our pillow, it did not appear there was any effort to tidy the room up a bit. I also want to note we did NOT experience the "Palazzo Scent" in our room, but it sure was prevelant in the casino!
I like the location of the place; close enough to walk the strip but far enough away from the craziness of the center strip area. My wife used the Canyon Ranch Spa and she said it had the best spa faciilities she has ever been to. We ate breakfast at the Grand Luxe Cafe twice and had two great meals.
Overall, this is a great choice that is worthy of its top tier rating of Vegas Hotels. It didn't get 5 stars from me because nothing here really "wowed" me, and when you are staying at a place like this, you invite closer scrutiny. Don't let me stop you from staying here though!

• Liked — Very comfortable room, great facilities
  • Disliked — Lacked that all important "Wow" factor
Stayed December 2008
san francisco
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2009

There were far too many problems with our stay to list them all here but several lapses in service made our stay very unpleasant. We could not wait to leave. The standout issues were as follows:

Room: dirty on arrival. During a two-day stay our room was cleaned exactly once - late on the second day of our stay. Loud knocking sound coming from the bathroom plumbing that interrupted our sleep both nights. Called front desk repeatedly and no one ever answered.

Casino: we were in the casino both days of our stay for approximately five hours total. Approached once by a server for drinks. Slot machine malfunctioned. Although staff alerted to this issue, waited 15 minutes for someone to assist me and no one ever showed. Club card personnel understaffed. 30 minutes in line to sign up for their casino card program.

Spa: Uninterested attendants left us wondering what the spa had to offer. Finally managed to make an appointment after waiting 15 minutes. Spa was a let down and vastly overpriced.

Restaurants: Ate at five to six outlets at the hotel. Service was painfully slow, bumbling, didn't always get what we ordered, and all were obviously understaffed even though there was no crush of people at these restaurants.

Bell stand: not offered assistance upon departure. The bell staff stand around a lot. When we needed tape for a box, we were told by both the front desk and bell staff that we would have to walk over to the business center at the Venetian with our box to pay for tape for our box.

Front desk: It would be nice if they actually picked up the phone when they are called. Upon check-out we informed the front desk of numerous service lapses. They did not adequately address them. In addition, after waiting in line for 20 minutes to check-out we were told that they could not provide an invoice to us because they were in the process of updating their accounting records, which they told us occurred every day at 10:00 am. Received erroneous invoice via email.

All in all I cannot recommend this hotel to anyone. The hotel strives for five star service and our experience was at best a two star one. Stay somewhere else. Even at the Palazzo's discounted rates there are far better places in Las Vegas that actually deliver good service. The Palazzo is not one of them.

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — the awful service
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Nottm
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2009

Never written a review before but had to write one for the Palazzo though, it's a fantastic hotel and well worth staying in if you're looking for a place in Vegas...worth the expense. We stayed for 6 nights and can't fault our hotel suite, it was amazing - clean, luxurious, spacious, very modern and a great location. My only negative about the hotel would be how expensive it is to eat and drink there (although most of the main hotels in Vegas are over-priced!), it costs far too much for even a cup of tea, let alone a meal! There is a particularly good noodle bar in the Palazzo though that is well worth going to and isn't too expensive. The pool area is also great, worth going to one day if you fancy a chilled out day or afternoon.
We loved Vegas, would definitely recommend a visit...my one piece of advice is make sure you pick a nice hotel to stay in, ideally one of the main ones on the strip...I believe the hotel you stay in will drastically affect your enjoyment of Vegas...it felt great to be part of the grandeur and glitz, I'd guess that if you stayed in one of the more ecomony hotels then you may not feel quite so excited by it all. You don't need to spend tons of money in the more expensive hotels, you can get good deals on your stay and just eat elsewhere etc. Treasure Island do a great breakfast buffet, great value and fills you up for the day!

• Liked — Modern & Clean
  • Disliked — Expensive to eat/drink
  • Stayed November 2008
memphis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2009

Just returned from four nights at the Palazzo with my husband. We definitely enjoyed our stay.
The best things are:
great bed and linens
perfect bathroom with many amenities
spacious and very clean
tvs everywhere with excellent reception
We stayed on the concierge floor, and there was free internet, either on their computers in the lounge or free wifi throughout the lounge. I thought the food presentations were mediocre at best, but people were certainly eating them up. With the response I saw, they have no incentive to improve the offerings. The bar service was good with nice quality wines etc. The concierges were helpful.
We ate in several restaurants in the property.
Morel's was very over priced for quality of what was served. I definitely would never go back.
Emeril's Table 10, was the exact opposite. The food and service were outstanding. We all enjoyed a scrumptious meal.
Woo was expensive for what you got, but lovely refined asian food.
The Lux Cafe is like the Cheesecake Factory, and our dinner was delicious , again with good service.
We ate at the other Chinese restaurant, and it was so so, but we may not have ordered well.
Finally, I liked the casino. I am a small time slot player. I didn't win, but the machines sure kept me playing for a long time. They have all kinds of new machines, which were entertaining. The casino is well laid out with wide aisles and a non smoking area.
We usually stay at the Bellagio and I have stayed at Wynn, but depending on rates, I would probably return to the Palazzo.

• Liked — the clean and light surroundings
  • Disliked — nothing
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Saint Louis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2009

We stayed for 2 nights to attend a group party--- The overall room was excellent--every amenity you can imagine was there. Fine linens, nice towels, 3 televisions, remote control curtains, robes, nice soaps, ect. It was very clean and the hotel and shops and restaurants were amazing. The prices in the hotel for drinks, shopping and food were on the high side but we knew that when booking.

The service was a little lacking for such a fabulous hotel. It appeared as if once you were there, they had you and therefore didn't need to have excellent customer service. When trying to call the concierge, 2 times, I was put on hold for over 10 minutes. When calling the spa, no one answered after 20 rings. We were put in a smoking instead of non-smoking room and were hardly offered an apology. I am usually not very picky--however, when staying at such a fancy and expensive hotel, I would expect the customer service to be great as well.

Overall, a great hotel, all amenities, clean, good spot on the strip, excellent food. Our only issue was the not so excellent service.

Enjoy!

• Liked — Every amenity you could want was there and if you forgot something you could find it in the shops.
  • Disliked — The customer service was not the best.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Palazzo Resort Hotel Casino? Share your experiences!