“Grand Canyon, South Rim” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: We use 15 Passenger vans! Please make sure you enjoy personal, small group settings and can travel in 15 passenger vans before booking with us. Grand-Adventures Tours specializes in fully-guided, small group tours to the Grand Canyon South Rim and Grand Canyon West Rim. All group sizes are 10 or less, fully guided and narrated, include a McDonald's breakfast, a picnic lunch, and fantastic guiding throughout your whole tour. Our goal is eliminate all commercial aspects of a tour by treating each of you like a friend visiting from out-of-town for a day. Our service is very personal and friendly and includes just the right touch of educational information, friendship, and service. What makes us so different is that we build, manage, and execute our tours from our customer's point-of-view. We don't add or do anything to our customers that we know we would not like ourselves. Please visit our website for pricing, terms and conditions, and all tour itineraries. Tours to the Grand Canyon are 15 hours in length.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Savannah
3 attraction reviews
“Grand Canyon, South Rim”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2007

This is a wonderful tour! The pace is leisurely and the company fun! Darryl, our tour guide, was sympathetic to my needs (paraplegic) and went out of his way to make sure that I was comfortable and had a 'never to be forgotten' day. In fact, he pushed me the entire length of the tour!!! What service!

Looking down into the canyon, while enjoying a hearty and tasty lunch, was almost overwhelming. Should I hear of anyone traveling to Vegas, I will certainly cajole them into taking a day to enjoy one of the Wonders of the World--the right way--the Grand Adventures way!

Marsha

USA
“NOT a good booking experience!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2007

This review is *without* going to the tour - so will differ from others. In a nutshell, while Darryl's email communication was pleasant, I was unimpressed with their lack of responsiveness and not refunding $238 as promised.

#Responsiveness
Before booking the tour, I wanted to talk to someone from the company, if the tour is appropriate for my parents (who have difficulty walking too long). Left 3+ phone calls, sent 2 emails... no response! Finally I made the payment and booked a tour. Got a response the next day! If you are only going to respond after someone has paid, then I'd say the customer service needs to improve.

#Cancellation
A couple of days before the trip I sent an email to double check if everything was in order. I got a response saying the tour is being cancelled and I had the option of moving to another day or getting a refund. I wonder why they didn't initiate the message. Now I had to scramble to book another tour at the last minute, since the suggested day didnt work. I asked for a refund.

#Refund
Darryl agreed in email to give a refund (but again after 1 week of sending emails). However it is now 1 month and the refund hasn't come through! I have sent multiple emails checking what happened but have stopped getting response. He even said he'd refund through Paypal and it should come through the next day but still hasn't

darryl370, Owner at Grand Adventures Tours, responded to this review, September 8, 2008
This person refused to accept that we were booked the date that he wanted to book a tour (for his parents). We had openings the dates before and after the date he had wanted. He didn't want these dates. He wanted his parents to see the Grand Canyon on the date of their anniversary. He asked if everyone had paid. I told him that we offer the option to pay cash the day of the tour. We received payment from this person. I thought he had decided to take the alternate dates that I had offered him. He didn't want these dates. He said that since not all people had paid for the date that he wanted then we should honor the requests of those people who pay first. I refunded 100% of his money and referred him to another tour agency.
judesilva
“Go with Grand-Adventures”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2007

Date of tour: Oct. 23, 2007

My girlfriend and I booked this tour based on the reviews we read from this site. And everyone was right… we had a great time. We would like to thank Trip Advisor and to all those who wrote reviews.

We had a great time with Darryl. He wasn’t just a tour guide; he was like a friend for the day.

Like everyone said in the reviews, Darryl picked us up at our hotel. He first took all the guests to McDonald’s and treated everyone to breakfast before the long trip ahead. We stopped by Hoover Dam on the way. The trip to Grand Canyon was about 5 hours long but Darryl entertained everyone with amusing stories and some history. When we arrived at Grand Canyon, Darryl let us make our own schedule. We stayed at a lookout point as long or quickly as we wanted. After a short hike, Darryl treated everyone to lunch with huge delicious sandwiches (my girlfriend and I could have just shared one). Another great thing about having Darryl as our tour guide is the fact that he also brings a camera and takes pictures of you/for you. It’s nice not having all the pictures to be self-taken. We had some fun posed pictures and I’m sure he took great candid ones too. I can’t wait to see the slide show of our tour (which is also included in the package deal). On the drive back, we stopped by Route 66. Going back was another 5 hour drive but it was amazing to witness the day turn to night, with the sun setting on our left side and the moon brightening on our right. The entire experience is something my girlfriend and I will never forget.

If you’re planning on going to Grand Canyon, go with Grand-Adventures. Trust the reviews. My girlfriend and I did and it was an amazing experience.

The Inland Empire
“Grand Everything!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2007

We booked our first trip to the Grand Canyon with this tour company based on the reviews on this website and I must say everyone was pretty dead on. Thank you!

What can we say that hasn't already been said? Daryl was very easy going, a great storyteller, hospitable, and very accomodating. We've never been on a tour where it was focused on what WE wanted to do and see and not what was on the tour itinerary.

The picnic lunch on the edge of the canyon was spectacular. Daryl brought us the biggest sandwiches we've ever seen!

We all watched the sunset at Hopi Point. It was absolutely breathtaking. One of the ladies on our tour did not bring a jacket but good-ole Daryl had a blanket for her to use.

One of the most unique things about this tour is that someone else was taking pictures of us! My husband and I have mastered the art of taking arm-length pictures of ourselves but it was great to have someone else taking pictures of us (posed and candid shots) for a change. And if you've ever been to the Grand Canyon, you know that it is difficult to take a bad picture. We are very anxious to see how the pictures that Daryl took turned out.

We highly recommend this tour if you are looking for hands down excellent service.

Hong Kong
“Great time with Darryl”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2007

I booked the Sunset Tour with Darryl for me and my girlfriend because I wanted a more "personal" trip with small groups, instead of the commercialized tour bus rides with too many people.

And indeed it was very personal. We were picked up by Darryl at our hotel at 9:15am and he had 5 people (including me and my g/f) for that day's trip. The pickup was a white mini van for 7 people so we all had comfortable legrooms.

On our way to the Grand Canyon, we had our McDonald's breakfast, stopped at the Hoover Dam for around 20 minutes, had multiple bathroom stops along the ride. The ride was quite long but it was good resting time for my jet lag.

Once we got there (at around 2:30pm), my gf and I were simply overawed by the natural beauty of the Grand Canyon. It's really the nature at its best and I think everyone should get to see it at least once in a lifetime. We took a lot of pictures along the trail and Darryl also became our offical photographer.

The picnic was nice as we sat at the edge of the South Rim and it was my most surreal lunch I've ever had. Anyway, we were offered a lot of food (sandwich, cookies, snacks, fruits) which we couldn't finish.

We continued our walk along the South Rim and since it was a Sunset tour, Darryl had to time it right so that we could catch our shuttle and bring us to the other side of the South Rim for the beautiful sunset.

We made it there and the sunset at Grand Canyon was one of the most beautiful things I've seen. It was very romantic and my girlfriend told me that this trip was the best decision I've ever made (either I've made a lot of bad decisions or this time was really good).

We got back to the hotel at around 11pm, even though Darryl was very tired, he was as friendly as ever. He then asked for my mailing address so that he could send me a CD with all the pictures he took on the day. You certainly don't get that with those tour bus tours!