I have stayed previously at theHOTEL, but this was my first time since it’s become the Delano. After our last stay at Mandalay Bay, I was ready to be done with this property, but the Better Half wanted to stay here (and the rates were cheap), so Delano it was. Stayed Dec 21-26.
The rooms are BIG. It’s the size of a 1BD/ 1.5 BTH apartment. If you are on a girls or guys trip and want to fit four people per room, this will do it (though unfortunately, the big leather sofas are gone). Comfy beds, nice thick towels, fluffy robes, good lighting, three TVs, dual temp controls for each area, plenty of wall plugs. The mini-bar fridge has a shelf for guests to use. If you go to Vegas a lot, you know this is actually a big deal.
Lots of drawers! Lots of them! I didn’t even fill all of them. Good hanging space, although the forward-facing design makes it hard to see your clothing options.
Excellent mountain views through floor-to-ceiling windows, and they double as full-length mirrors at night! I prefer mountains to the Strip view.
Staff was excellent – everyone went out of their way to make sure my requests were taken care of.
The entryway has been nicely redone and all the common areas are infused with scents of vanilla and sandalwood.
The spa is nice (but of course pricey). I opted for the day pass and found a well-equipped gym, sauna, hot tub and relaxation room. All well-maintained and very spa-soothing.
The Bad and the Ugly:
IMO, the new room décor is UG-ly. It’s minimalist design in all white, which gives the feel of a generic apartment where someone has moved in and hasn’t unpacked all the way. The new furniture and wallpaper screams late 70s disco era. Seriously, there is gold chrome on everything. There is gold geodesic 70’s wallpaper in the powder room. There is one picture in the entire suite, an underwater b&w photo of two people making out in a pool. Yes, really. The rest of the white walls are barren, hence the unfinished apartment comment. The place screams out for some color, but the only color to be found is an aqua panel in the back of the closet. The furniture (with the exception of the bed) is not comfortable. Like many others have mentioned, the pillows are pretty bad. I would have ranked "sleep quality" as very good if not for the pillows.
I wish the hotel would not allow dogs. The hotel says they only allow dogs on one floor, but people must sneak them in. If all dogs were banned, this would not happen. When I go on vacation, I do not want to have to deal with dogs.
Resort fees tick me off. $28 PER DAY! + TAX! gets you wifi (which was decent) and not much else. A newspaper and 2 waters are included, but you have to go to the front desk to get them. The cardio room is all the way over in Mandalay Bay and it’s lame. If you want an elliptical machine, fine, but certainly not enough there to charge a fee.
Gaming (at Mandalay Bay) was disappointing. Two-thirds of the tables were closed the entire time we were there. $15 minimums when the other casinos (Cosmo, MGM, Venetian) were at $10. The other casino floors were hopping, but the MBay remained dead our entire stay.
Last, bah humbug on the Delano for having no Christmas decorations whatsoever! I asked about it on arrival, and was told, well, we just opened. Yeah, back in September. Three months ago. Plenty of time to put up decorations at Thanksgiving.
Conclusion: The large room is a draw and the staff was fantastic, but I was not impressed with the Delano stamp on the property. The casino needs to find a way to re-energize the gaming floor.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Anchored by intimate yet energetic public spaces and sophisticated accommodations, the non-smoking, all-suite boutique hotel will appeal to the most discerning travelers from around the globe. At Delano Las Vegas, guests will discover a blend of personalized service and effortless luxury coupled with unexpected elements of individuality and high-concept design. "Delano guests will be wowed by the transformation of this very special destination," said Matthew Chilton, general manager of Delano Las Vegas. "Dynamic public spaces will serve as social hubs where guests will want to linger and socialize while the clean design of the suites will create a quiet escape." Blending eclectic details to create an atmosphere that is playful and filled with energy, the stylish public spaces will be highlighted by a completely redesigned lobby featuring three distinct social spaces - a unique coffee bar, sophisticated lounge and cafe concept. Upstairs and away from the action, Delano's 1,100 guest suites will provide a luxurious retreat. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Despegar.com, Agoda, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, BookIt.com and Odigeo so you can book your Delano Las Vegas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Thehotel At Mandalay Bay Hotel Las Vegas
- Mandalay Bay Hotel Las Vegas
- Mandalay Bay Las Vegas
- The Hotel At Mandalay Bay
- Las Vegas Hotel Mandalay Bay