“Room size matters, but new decor leaves me unimpressed” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Delano Las Vegas

You added Delano Las Vegas to your Saves list
Delano Las Vegas
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3940 Las Vegas Blvd South, Las Vegas, NV 89119 (Formerly THEhotel at Mandalay Bay) (The Strip)   |
Ranked #23 of 272 Hotels in Las Vegas
Los Angeles, CA
“Room size matters, but new decor leaves me unimpressed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I have stayed previously at theHOTEL, but this was my first time since it’s become the Delano. After our last stay at Mandalay Bay, I was ready to be done with this property, but the Better Half wanted to stay here (and the rates were cheap), so Delano it was. Stayed Dec 21-26.

The Good:
The rooms are BIG. It’s the size of a 1BD/ 1.5 BTH apartment. If you are on a girls or guys trip and want to fit four people per room, this will do it (though unfortunately, the big leather sofas are gone). Comfy beds, nice thick towels, fluffy robes, good lighting, three TVs, dual temp controls for each area, plenty of wall plugs. The mini-bar fridge has a shelf for guests to use. If you go to Vegas a lot, you know this is actually a big deal.

Lots of drawers! Lots of them! I didn’t even fill all of them. Good hanging space, although the forward-facing design makes it hard to see your clothing options.

Excellent mountain views through floor-to-ceiling windows, and they double as full-length mirrors at night! I prefer mountains to the Strip view.

Staff was excellent – everyone went out of their way to make sure my requests were taken care of.

The entryway has been nicely redone and all the common areas are infused with scents of vanilla and sandalwood.

The spa is nice (but of course pricey). I opted for the day pass and found a well-equipped gym, sauna, hot tub and relaxation room. All well-maintained and very spa-soothing.

The Bad and the Ugly:
IMO, the new room décor is UG-ly. It’s minimalist design in all white, which gives the feel of a generic apartment where someone has moved in and hasn’t unpacked all the way. The new furniture and wallpaper screams late 70s disco era. Seriously, there is gold chrome on everything. There is gold geodesic 70’s wallpaper in the powder room. There is one picture in the entire suite, an underwater b&w photo of two people making out in a pool. Yes, really. The rest of the white walls are barren, hence the unfinished apartment comment. The place screams out for some color, but the only color to be found is an aqua panel in the back of the closet. The furniture (with the exception of the bed) is not comfortable. Like many others have mentioned, the pillows are pretty bad. I would have ranked "sleep quality" as very good if not for the pillows.

I wish the hotel would not allow dogs. The hotel says they only allow dogs on one floor, but people must sneak them in. If all dogs were banned, this would not happen. When I go on vacation, I do not want to have to deal with dogs.

Resort fees tick me off. $28 PER DAY! + TAX! gets you wifi (which was decent) and not much else. A newspaper and 2 waters are included, but you have to go to the front desk to get them. The cardio room is all the way over in Mandalay Bay and it’s lame. If you want an elliptical machine, fine, but certainly not enough there to charge a fee.

Gaming (at Mandalay Bay) was disappointing. Two-thirds of the tables were closed the entire time we were there. $15 minimums when the other casinos (Cosmo, MGM, Venetian) were at $10. The other casino floors were hopping, but the MBay remained dead our entire stay.

Last, bah humbug on the Delano for having no Christmas decorations whatsoever! I asked about it on arrival, and was told, well, we just opened. Yeah, back in September. Three months ago. Plenty of time to put up decorations at Thanksgiving.

Conclusion: The large room is a draw and the staff was fantastic, but I was not impressed with the Delano stamp on the property. The casino needs to find a way to re-energize the gaming floor.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Loves Park
2 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We just got back from our third Christmas stay at The Delano. Previous to this year called The Hotel.

It wasn't like it use to be when it was The Hotel. Very loud in hallways and could hear people partying and kids crying in both rooms, on each side of us.

The maids were at it early slamming doors and vacuuming hallways at 8:00 a.m. People out in the hallways talking loudly and carrying on.

Also valet at The Delano was closed all week and we had to use less convenient Mandalay Bay valet.

Next Christmas we will look for another spot, a place were we can sleep a little late if we've been out late.

Vegas has been wrecked by becoming a family friendly destination. Leave your kids at home.

Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Reserved a room at Mandalay Bay. Then few days before our check in day, I got an email asking me if I want an upgrade for a few dollars more. Certainly, I said yes.

What a place when we got into our "Suite". Everything was very modern. The decor was just very, very simple yet tastefully done. Kudos to the designer.

We will be back....

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Utica, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I booked two nights at Mandalay Bay. I was offered an upgrade for $20 a night and I took it as the hotel has just been remodeled. The suite was very nice and there was still a new room smell. However, the slippers and a remote for the bathroom tv were missing. Since I would not have used them anyway, I did not inform them about this. However, I did mention to them when I checked out. Overall, it is a nice hotel and I would be happy to book again. Keep in mind that this is at the south end of the strip so it would be less convenient than mid strip hotels but there is a free tram to Excalibur.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW via mobile

This hotel was one of the best I've ever stayed in. Robes and slippers in the bathroom, two bathrooms, and 3 TVs.My boyfriend and I felt like we were special guests. The hotel was.clean and the lobby smelt heavenly. I can't imagine staying anywhere else, and the rate was excellent.

• Stayed December 2014
Grand Island, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We decided to try out the new Delano on our last trip to Las Vegas and must say we were very happy with our choice. The resort is nicely renovated so everything was still nice and new. The staff was very friendly. The food choices were nice. No complaints. The only problem we ran in to was the heat in our Bedroom was not working , but was not a big deal as the thermostat in the living took care of the whole area. We can't wait to return when we can stay a bit longer next time.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Apparently even if you booked and paid for a queen suite when you arrive they can tell you that just means queen suites by availability only.

We booked a 5 room reservation, 3 of those are queen suites to accommodate toddlers in our group. Arrived on Christmas to hear booking means nothing. We even verified or booking over phone twice before our trip

The agents were unapologetic. Tried to reach out to supervisor to fix 2 of rooms but got hung up both times in transfer.

Stressful just at check in. Beware of you think you are booking queen suite. Not as family friendly as you'd think.

Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Delano Las Vegas? Share your experiences!