“The Good, the Bad and the So-So” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Delano Las Vegas

Save Saved
You added Delano Las Vegas to your Saves list
Delano Las Vegas
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3940 Las Vegas Blvd South, Las Vegas, NV 89119 (Formerly THEhotel at Mandalay Bay) (The Strip)   |
Ranked #100 of 272 Hotels in Las Vegas
Denver, Colorado
“The Good, the Bad and the So-So”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

The Good: There were several great things about this hotel. The new decor was beautiful, especially the carpeting. Everything is new, so everything is clean. The bed itself was comfortable... see more on that in "The Bad" section... Della's was excellent for breakfast, and usually the service was great. We ate here 3 out of 4 mornings, because the food was so good. Our housekeeping service was very good. They have definitely mastered the "you won't see us, but as soon as you leave, your room will magically be cleaned" trick. The hotel was definitely quiet--good for getting those few precious hours of sleep in Vegas when you are ready to. The hotel was easy to navigate and gave you a very peaceful feeling. The little bar area in the room was fantastic. The ice buckets were cool-looking, but small. I'm sure they are plenty big for most people, though.

The Bad: Closet space. Terrible. Our "closet" was a single armoire with two drawers in the bottom, and a safe on top of the drawers, with a closet rod above that (this means there wasn't even enough space for SHIRTS to hang unimpeded, and forget about hanging a dress.) We had paid more for the Panoramic Suite, and this was our closet space. When we saw our friends' room, who had taken a regular suite, they had 3 or 4 times the closet space, because they had more wall space. We would have GLADLY saved the money and had room for our clothes. Also, the pillows. Seriously. Worst pillows ever. Every morning, we woke up with a sore neck. From what I understand, people have complained about the pillows since the renovations were done, but the hotel isn't changing them... Some people requested other pillows, but said they were virtually the same. The mattress itself was actually very comfortable. Water pressure in the shower--there was very little to speak of. The bathroom was beautiful, but without an awesome shower, who cares? And our TV went out halfway through the trip, and they couldn't seem to get it fixed. It was only a handful of rooms, and oddly, the TV in our bedroom and our living room were out, but the one in the bathroom worked. So, it definitely wasn't the provider. We didn't spend a ton of time in the room, but it helps my husband not rush me so much when the TV is working...Poor guy was sitting on the edge of the marble bathtub, trying to watch football on Sunday! The Wi-Fi was supposedly included in the "resort fee", but continually kicked off and you had to log back in. It wasn't great service to begin with, though. It was okay for us on vacation, but if someone really had to work, I'm sure it would be frustrating.

The So-So: The service. What was good was really, really good. Every time you stepped off the elevators, there was someone there smiling and saying hi. Everyone we passed in the hallways was super friendly. The woman who actually checked us in and out at the front desk was wonderful. BUT, the woman who spent time staring at her computer and chatting with people about nothing professional while we waited to check-in, all the while careful to avoid eye contact, was our first impression. Same thing with the same type of hostess the first day at Della's. I really don't understand how ANYone in the service industry can still not be taught to always make eye contact and always let the guest know someone will be right with them. How hard is that. So, I would say 80% of our service was five-star level, and 20% was zero-star level. Lastly, the gym was a little difficult to figure out. We started to go to the one in the Delano, and no one was at the desk or the door to the fitness room. We considered just going in, but we knew there was one gym that was free and one that was an additional charge. After looking at the one, we thought for sure it--based on the quality--had to be free, but finally, we found someone in the spa who told us you had to pay. The free gym was over in the Mandalay Bay. This could have been more clear.

Room Tip: Don't pay to upgrade to a panoramic suite. In exchange for windows in the bedroom, you give up c...
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

What do you give a Las Vegas hotel that lacks that special Las Vegas energy? Maybe 3.5 stars. What do you give a Las Vegas hotel that has the worst pillows ever created? Maybe deduct a half-point for that because the beds were okay...but my neck is in serious need of an adjustment. Lastly, what do you give a Las Vegas hotel where the front desk staff treats you like your money should be spent elsewhere? I will give that a 2-star for failing to remotely put together a successful guest experience; meaning, I will never go back. I don't normally post this bad of a review about a business; but my experience was so bad that this is the exception.

When arriving at the Delano for check-in around 10am on Friday, September 12th, we were greeted by valet requiring us to pay a $20 “cover charge” for our vehicle. No thanks. So we decided to self-park. I guess that’s the norm for staying at a place without an attached casino, even though they certainly know we would be visiting the one at Mandalay Bay – so I feel that we shouldn’t have been charged. We are paying resort fees even though it is just a hotel with no pool. It has shared use of the Mandalay Bay facility so I am okay with a resort fee but the $20 “cover charge” for parking need not apply. It also hurts the valet staff’s tips. Anyway, I digress...they had self-park so let’s move on.

Here’s where I wish I took names but I was exhausted from the late night and 4-hour drive from Scottsdale with a friend. When we walked toward registration, I found a very nice but very sterile atmosphere; much unlike the energy I get from checking in at other hotels in Vegas. It was like the place had no pulse; with minimalist lighting and mid-tempo house music playing to really accentuate the air of elitism of staying at such a posh property. It was more of a martini ultra-lounge than a Las Vegas hotel.

We were called to check in, and although the girl was seemingly nice; I got an immediate condescending vibe from her because we didn’t know the Mayweather fight was in town that weekend (we were there to celebrate a friend’s upcoming wedding; and as a disclaimer, we are all in our mid-30’s – not 22 year old frat boys). In any event, she had our room available a little bit early and we were able to get up there to set up. Our bags were delivered in quick fashion by the friendly bell staff. The rooms were spacious and bright but still without a pulse. I liked the Bluetooth audio system and a plethora of televisions in the two separate rooms – with a 3rd in the huge bathroom. All in all, I had no issue with the suite, which came complete with a wet bar and mini-fridge. The only issue I had was with the pillows and I see many posted about them. Not only were they too firm, they were also very tall so your neck was in an awful position. The pillows negated all of the good sleep that the bed would have been responsible for. Let’s just say we woke up not very well-rested; not something to be missed during a trip to Las Vegas.

When it came time to leave, we went down to check out and noticed some upgrade charges on our bill. I guess when one of the guys of our group booked, it was originally at the Mandalay Bay property, but there were no suites available so he upgraded to the Delano. It was a nice suite, but in hindsight, we would have been happy with 3 rooms at the Mandalay Bay with no additional upgrade fees. Anyway, our friend saw this and decided to pay our balance for us. We had my card on the room but the guy checking us out had an issue that my friend wanted to pay. He said he needed to see the credit card of the guy paying even though he asked to put the balance on his room instead of ours. Okay that’s fine; but he proceeded to talk down to the group saying to our friend “Why is it so imperative you pay the room for these people?” right in front of us. I stated “It’s because we’re friends, that’s what friends do.” His response? “You’re not friends, you’re guests.” He may have misconstrued the direction of my comments, but still his comments were not only unnecessary, but not welcomed by anyone spending that kind of money at a hotel. As a 3rd generation hotelier myself, I think you should treat guests as friends...or even family.

Our check-out experience was the nail in the coffin for me and the rest of the group. I enjoyed my time in Vegas (my 7th visit there in as many years), but will not be returning to the Delano. To be fair, this is a huge personnel issue that should be dealt with, and not necessarily how the Delano management would like their business operated.

As for the Delano management who sees this, I will be sure to get you name of the gentleman at the front desk who should be relieved of his duties. Let’s just say it was the lone male Asian working on September 15, around our 9am check out time.

Room Tip: Try to get a queen suite. They are nice...but ask to see if they have softer pillows.
Plymouth, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Fabulous resort to escape the craziness of the strip! Excellent staff & spacious rooms. Contemporary, upscale atmosphere. Serene and relaxing vibe as soon as you enter Delano-even smells great. The spa is a MUST!! Absolutely the best one I've ever been to.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled on business
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Loved everything about it. The pool, the casino, the restaurants, and especially the newly renovated rooms! View was amazing. No complaints at all. What a great place to stay in Vegas. Service was fantastic

Newcastle, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I go to vegas quite a bit for both work and pleasure and on the last trip we stayed at Delano. I have stayed at this resort before (when it was The Hotel). The hotel staff & service was really good, check in was super quick, and overall the experience was awesome. The rooms have been remodeled from my last trip, now all decked out in white decore. I like the room arrangement where the bedroom is seperated from the small "living" room and with 2 bathrooms so my wife can get ready "undisturbed"- can't beat that!

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

The Hotel was nicely re-done. The lobby area is very chic and the rooms have been updated in a clean white look. The service is impeccable as well. The Mandalay Bay casino offers everything including what is probably the biggest sports book on the strip. The silly "one-hand" rules and older, stuffy dealers detract from a good casino experience

Sebastopol, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Cabana rental not worth the $$$.Was Charged $600 for bottle of "mediocre vodka" that they charge $75 in their hotel store. Once I put a limit on my credit card our service went way way down. So if its pool side fun you are looking for...may want to check out another venue!!!

Room Tip: Room was very nice, clean. My rating for service is below average only due to the Cabana rental and...
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Delano Las Vegas? Share your experiences!