“Caution Advised But Very Nice Stay Otherwise.” 4 of 5 stars

Stay for Breakfast!
Ranked #69 of 272 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersGold level
Isle Delfino SMW
“Caution Advised But Very Nice Stay Otherwise.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

We booked our stay at Renaissance Las Vegas directly through Marriott.com.
We paid extra for a Club Level, Guest Room, King, City View,Top Floor, Special Benefits - Club Lounge access , complimentary breakfast, hors d'oeuvres, dessert, plus complimentary in room wireless internet, coffee, bottled water and various etc.

We found the hotel self-parking garage easily enough, but access was prevented by a queue of taxis and cars awaiting valet outside the lobby. Ideally, one of the two lanes could have been supervised to allow thru traffic, nevertheless, the parking garage was well lit and had plenty of spaces.
We wheeled our cases into the lobby from the parking garage elevator, and presented a credit card, photo ID and printed Marriott confirmation to the desk clerk. He was polite but not particularly welcoming, he read our confirmation and checked us in.
He presented our room keys and pointed out the location of the elevator, stating our room was on the 4th floor. I immediately pointed out, this wasn't as booked. He stated our booking a Club Level room was " a preference " not " a guarantee ". I informed him I had paid extra for the Club benefits, and would only accept a 4th floor room if my rate was reduced.
He said there are no king rooms available on Club Level, only 2 queens, I replied this would be fine. He then immediately found a king room on Club Level, which we accepted.
Not a great start but I was pleased he took the time to find the room as booked.
We ventured to the elevator and found our room.
It was spotlessly clean and very comfortable, with a nice view of The Strip in the distance.
A coffee maker, fridge and safe, all there, but no complimentary bottled water.
We expected to find a book in the room listing the details of breakfast location, times etc, wi fi, details of amenities such as Business Centre, the bars, food, all the usual things you expect to see.
There was no book, not even a fact sheet. We tried the flat screen tv, which offered up nothing of any help under Guest Services or anywhere else, lots of pretty pictures of other Renaissance locations weren't much benefit.
So I took a walk along the hall and noticed a locked door with people eating and drinking inside, one of the staff approached and I enquired about breakfast. She was very nice and told us the times and said entry was by swiping our room key. She said be sure not to miss breakfast as " there's plenty and very good ". We found the Club Lounge.
Next morning we found breakfast to be very good but slightly lacking in hot items, but plenty of milk, coffee, juices, fresh fruit etc. Really nice staff in the room.
I tried to use the tv internet and found although the tv remote worked the tv functions it would not control the cursor on screen to let us check our flight times. I then tried the wireless keyboard, it was broken or unfathomable.
Live Life To Discover was the motto on my room key, well I discovered the internet was not complimentary, it cost $12.95 plus tax, for a period until noon. So it would be costing me $12.95 for a couple of hours ! It should be a 24hr access fee, setting aside it should be complimentary according to my booking. I also discovered by talking about this in the elevator with a similarly disgruntled guest ( a different complaint ) that frequent attendees at this hotel ( conventions ) hop onto the free wi fi from the Best Western Mardi Gras hotel next door, or from the Siegel Suites. Really !!!
Have a look at the trip advisor reviews for BWMG March 2013, one guest complaining about sketchy wi fi at Mardi Gras received a reply from Best Western apologising " it was because too many people are on it ".
It seems plenty of them are staying at Renaissance !!!
In the lobby there is a vertical flat screen device which should allow printing of boarding passes, it was so slow and unresponsive the guests in front of us using it gave up. So did we.
Knowing there was the same screen in the Club Lounge we went to try it. Similarly, unresponsive.
A very nice member of Club Lounge staff suggested using finger nails, this worked much better. Why not have a sign ? After all that, it doesn't actually work, it just displayed a DNS for our airline. We tried several times and gave up.
We visited the concierge desk in the lobby, no concierge but they did have a sign. It informed us the concierge leaves work at 5pm. We enquired of another member of staff about access to the 24hr Business Centre to try and print our boarding passes and was told it would cost $10 each pass !
Live Life To Discover.
Have I mentioned housekeeping did not make up our room, nor leave fresh towels, replenish the milk, coffee etc, and no sign of the complimentary bottled water ? No I haven't mentioned it, because apparently it was OUR fault.
Housekeeping have a " system ", they make one pass by your room, and if your Privacy / Do Not Disturb sign is displayed THEY DO NOT RETURN. Whether you are sleeping, visiting the breakfast room, they won't come back later after you leave the room for the day.
Housekeeping were in the hallway and watched us walk by them to visit the Club Lounge for breakfast and did not say anything about their " system ". ( Yes, they did smile and say good morning ). Had they done so we would not have put out the Privacy sign whilst at breakfast.
Housekeeping actually saw us remove the Privacy sign after briefly going back to the room after breakfast before going out for the day.
How weird is that ?
Of course, had there been a sign, or a room booklet, we would have known what to do, or put a message on the tv. Instead of that, when you make them aware, they let you know its your fault.
On checking out I asked for a final receipt and noticed a charge of $38 had been applied at ENVY Steakhouse. I brought it to the attention of the desk clerk and he looked into it.
After around 10 minutes he produced a signature from ENVY for Makers Mark, someone had enjoyed a bourbon but it wasn't me. The clerk accepted this and apologised. He actually handled this VERY well, especially as I was in a queue of others.
It was only on parting I noticed the name on the check out receipt was not mine. The other clerk had simply printed out the wrong room receipt. There was no incorrect transaction. I thanked the clerk that solved it for his patience and excellent customer service.

So to sum up....

The Good....
A really nice, clean, smoke free place to stay.
Mostly really excellent staff and customer service throughout.
Some especially superb staff on reception desk
( Young lady, dark, shoulder length hair, and the young man that solved my billing issue ).

Steaks at ENVY
Good choice of reasonably priced food and drinks at Grill 55 ( $6 Fat Tire Draft, Pyramid Hefeweiz etc), ace bar guy - Romulus.

Really close to Conference South Hall ( as in the same car park )
Right by monorail station ( just across the car park and up escalator )
Large well lit Self-Parking Garage.

The Bad....
Several complaining guests, rooms not being made up, the internet fees, the distance to The Strip further than suggested, the internet fees, one customer very motivated to complain his daughter asked for a single scoop of ice cream at ENVY and he was billed $9 !!! ( he said This is the WORST NICKLE AND DIME EVER ), extra charges for printing out boarding passes, charging for access to the Business Centre ( Free in a $60 Hampton Inn ! ), thin walls ...and the internet fees.

The Ugly.....
With the location of Renaissance being perfect for Conventions, with a steady stream of attendees, I'm guessing management are relying on business customers charging everything on account to their employers. Not worrying that many are having to pay for some of the extras themselves, and are quite angry about the extra charges. They may never come back and will tell others.
It seems management have some fine staff, but some poor systems and practice, which the staff constantly have to work hard to smooth over and keep customers happy.
Listen to the complaints.........your guests have to !!!

A Step In The Right Direction...
Give guests what they pay for when booking ( room type, free internet, bottled water, etc.
Have Housekeeping check they make up the rooms.
Stop charging for internet.
Stop charging for printing out boarding passes.
Update the tv internet, replace it with something better.
Sound proof the walls.
Put some information in the rooms!

Room Tip: Take a print out of EXACTLY what you booked and MAKE SURE you that's what you have !
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
TimHerman, General Manager at Renaissance Las Vegas Hotel, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us regarding your recent stay. While we are so pleased to learn you would characterize your experience as an overall good stay, we do apologize for the service shortfalls you experienced. Reviews such as yours, that provide us with excellent insight, truly help us to improve service and we thank you for the detail contained in your review.

You may be comforted to know we are evaluating and implementing several of the items you mention because we agree with you that we need them. We do hope if your travels in the future include Las Vegas, that you would consider staying with us again.

Tim Herman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Turkish first
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

We got this hotel on priceline name your price. Its way off the strip with no shuttle. The lobby is nice but the hallways smell and are very dirty. They really really try to be a 4 star hotel but its three star all the way. Nothing really wrong with this hotel but just didnt seem clean enough. Also, No free wifi. I will not be staying at this hotel in Vegas again but maybe I will give it a go in another city.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
We appreciate you taking the time to post your thoughts on your recent stay with us. We apologize for what appears to have been a less than ideal experience at our hotel. I would personally be very interested in speaking with you regarding your stay and would welcome you to contact me at your convenience in my office at (702) 784-5750. You can also email me at Tim.Herman@interstatehotels.com should email be your preference.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

My hotel shower seal leaked into the floor below me. Attempted to discuss with manager Alex who was unprofessional and under the assumption I was guilty of flooding room below me. Renaissance has insurance to cover such incidents but instead has chosen to charge my Marriott Rewards Credit Card $1000.00. I am a silver elite member and Marriott fanatic. Usually only stay at their properties for the service and amenities. I also work as a flight attendant and stay in hotels 4-6 times a week. The entire staff after the incident treated me like I was scum of earth and didn't want to address issue professionally, watch the video or hear what I had to say. Ruined my vacation and trip now have to go home and dispute the charges on my credit card. Checked out of Renaissance and went to Courtyard Marriott next door. treated very well at new hotel. Informed the renaissance has multiple issues taking care of their guests. Shame on you Alex. You could have handled the situation much better and treated me with dignity and respect.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

Through my travels I have stayed at a number of Marriott owned properties and have been let down a little at each. But this place is very nice. The location is not bad at all, very easy to get to the strip. Also plenty of things to do in any direction you go. The view from my room was excellent, the sunrise coming off of Wynns was really cool. I had the King Deluxe Suite Room 1030 the night of March 29th. I am going to want this room every stay I have in Vegas. The room is very modern and the 1.5 bathrooms do come in handy. The bed was a little hard for my wife but it was fine for me. When I arrived my room was not ready but they did offer to store my luggage and when I came back they had it delivered to my room which was great. The only bad thing I could say about the property is knowing where to turn in off the road when you drive. I missed the turn when I first arrived and it took about 15 min to get back. Other than that the staff was friendly and the room was clean and I can't wait to stay again.

S. Davis

• Stayed March 2013
We sincerely thank you for your recent visit with us. We are very happy you enjoyed your suite upgrade! It’s also a pleasure to hear that you would choose stay with us again, as this is certainly our goal – to have your loyalty.

We are looking forward to your next visit!

Los Angeles, California, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Great Property but AMAZING Concierge (Fotis). We went to Vegas to celebrate our 1 year anniversary but prior to arriving I wanted to do something special for my wifes and I 1st anniversary. I contacted the hotel and was transferred to the concierge desk and the gentleman that helped me was Fotis Tsaganis who in my oppinion was the most professional and catering individual I have ever met. The time he took to help with my requests was very appreciated but the wow factor was when we arrived and checked in. I had requested flowers and rose petals however the presentation he did was breathtaking, he personally decortated the room and made our bath towels look like swans on our bed and he even personally wrote a poem for my wife and I. The next day I went down stairs to hopefully meet Fotis but turns out he is at the property just 1 day. I also found out that he took the time to decorate our room and personally picked up all the items for me on his day off and without any intention of receiving any type of gratuity as he knew I would not be meeting with him since he would not be at this hotel during our stay. We did speak to another concierge (Jennifer) who was helpful but was quick to tell me that the concierge services does not actually work for the hotel but are separate but dealing with Fotis you would have thought he was the owner of the Renaissance as for delivering on the brand that Renaissance is known for. For any hotel management that reads this please personally thank Fotis for me and tell him please that he is an example of great customer service.

Room Tip: Ask to personally speak with Fotis for any of your requestes or needs
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
TimHerman, General Manager at Renaissance Las Vegas Hotel, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Amazing is absolutely correct! Thank you for such a great review and for staying with us for such a special occasion. We sincerely appreciate you sharing this story with us. We are very eager to share this review with Fotis, as we are certain he will be thrilled to learn he made such a wonderful impression on you. Stories of warm welcomes and over the top attention to detail, such as yours, are an inspiration to all of us at the Renaissance Las Vegas.

We truly hope you will choose us when you travel to Las Vegas again, especially for your next anniversary!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Close to the monorail, no casino, clean, no smoking in the lobby as you walk in. The rooms were nice size, very clean. The bathroom was clean, modern. If you are looking for a place that has buffets , this isn't re place. But for the money this was perfect for us !

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We are happy to learn our value, proximity to the Las Vegas Monorail and non-smoking atmosphere were suitable to your needs. Your positive recognition of these characteristics of our property here on TripAdvisor is sincerely appreciated.

Thank you again for your review and we hope you will afford us the opportunity to serve you the next time you visit Las Vegas.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

My trip to Las Vegas happens to overlap with many spring break travelers, the room price triples during these days. This renaissance offers good value although it is 2 miles away from the strip.

However, the overall experience is awesome for us and we really enjoy it.

1. Quick checkin and checkout, 30 seconds literally.
2. Good room equipment, nice bed, clean and tidy bathroom.
3. Free parking
4. A very cute cafe in the lobby, which carries illy coffee and sandwich.
5. Nice pool and jacuzzi

We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments with us! We enjoy hearing you had so many positive experiences during your stay. We truly design our service, outlets and amenities with the guest in mind. It’s great to hear your appreciated the areas we put so much effort into. Delivering excellence in all areas is at the heart of what we do and we’re happy to hear this resonated with you. We truly hope you will choose us when you travel to Las Vegas again.

Tim Herman

Been to Renaissance Las Vegas Hotel? Share your experiences!