“Great hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #69 of 272 Hotels in Las Vegas
aberdeen
“Great hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

Excallant hotel, read other reviews before going, We could not fault this hotel ,staff very friendly,especially John behind the bar in casino, lovely man very helpfull. Great place to stay+++++ Away from the strip near Freemont street ,perfect holiday.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Korean first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

We didn't stay at the Downtown Grand during our recent visit, but spent plenty of time in the casino.
We found it to be clean, and the employees very friendly and helpful. Also, it doesn't hurt when you have a little luck, which we did.
I'm most impressed with the effort that the Downtown Grand seems to be making to market itself to customers. Drink service was outstanding. There are free daily slot tournaments that you can play right from your machine, as soon as you earn an entry. When you earn comps, they, too, pop up right on your machine. At night, there was a DJ outside, and you can spin a wheel to win everything from free play to free desserts. Weekends feature even more giveaways. At a time when many casinos seem to be cutting back on comps, giveaways and the like, it appears the Downtown Grand is going in the opposite direction.
We signed up for emails from the Downtown Grand. If its room rates are reasonable, we just might have to stay here the next time we are in town.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
PS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014 via mobile

This was the first time staying at this hotel and we were very happy. The beds were very comfy. I liked the fact it had a refrigerator in the room to keep our drinks cool. The art bar was a nice place to have a drink and catch up on your emails. The hotel was near to lots of places to eat, we found a place on fremont street called kabob corner which had very good gyros, and a place on the same street called le thai...which was excellent and don't forget to check out the cool bar next door called the gold spike, it used to be a casino and now its just a cool Lil hang out.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Windsor, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

My husband and I stayed July 20-25 to celebrate both of our birthdays and our wedding anniversary. We picked the Grand because of location, price and a relatively new hotel.

PROS: Clean, relatively quiet (for a downtown hotel), friendly staff, location, room size, size of casino (small), free AM coffee in bar by registration (yummy), pool.

CONS: I found the bed very hard, my husband though liked it, absolutely NO water pressure in shower, wasn’t crazy about the half shower door either,
Pool closed early a couple nights for ‘private parties’, some of the restaurants closed early, we actually never had one meal there.

Re: the $11.00/day downtown fee (Resort Fee) Compared to other hotels, this rate is very reasonable, I believe it was for two bottles of water on day of arrival only, local calls, gym access and wi-fi. We didn’t use the gym or wi-fi.

When we left in the morning, we did not get our bill under our door like we do at every other hotel we have ever stayed at, since we had no charges to the room and had a confirmation at $39.00/night plus $11.00 resort fee, I wasn’t concerned. When my credit card bill came in, we were overcharged $84.75. I called and spoke to a woman who was condescending and basically told me that WASN'T the rate I got, I told her it absolutely WAS and I had the confirmation for it, after she checked into it, she says it LOOKS like the problem is on our (the hotel) end, so I informed her I KNEW the mistake was on their end, when I asked for the total of my refund, wouldn’t you know I SOMEHOW got transferred in the middle of this to a different person at a different location, luckily I had written down the girls name and asked to be connected back to her. Even after she ‘figured it out’ her answer was ‘about $85.00’ She asked for my e-mail to send me the confirmation, I of course never received this e-mail, I will now have to wait for next months credit card statement to see if this was corrected. NOT professional at all!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Jan B, Director of Sales at Downtown Grand, an Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this review, August 17, 2014
Dear GraceP303,
Thank you for being our guest at Downtown Grand. Your comments and information regarding your statement are important to us. We will have someone contact you very soon to get the information you need. Thank you again for choosing us.
Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

My husband and I recently returned from a 2-night weekend stay at the Downtown Grand. We chose to stay here because we had gambled at the Grand in December and liked that it was recently remodeled. We checked in at noon and our room was ready. We were in room 1219 in the main casino tower. The room was large, clean and modern. I think the designer of the bathroom really missed the mark when designing the shower. It is a walk-in shower (no tub) with a half partition glass (no shower door or shower curtain). Water runs all over the bathroom floor and showering gives you the feel of showering in a gym locker room. We have tile showers with no shower doors in 2 of our bathrooms at home but they are large enough where the water doesn't run out or spray near the opening. Our room temperature never got below 71 degrees despite having the thermostat set on 65, so we never had a cool, comfortable room temp. After our first night we left to gamble at 9am the next morning and returned to our room at 4pm. Our room had not been serviced during the 7 hours we were gone. There was a housekeeper in the hall and my husband told her we were changing for dinner and would be out of our room in an hour. We returned at midnight and our room had never been serviced that day, meaning no fresh towels before our early flight the next morning.
Besides the few glitches with the shower door, room temp and no housekeeping, we would stay here again. I think I would upgrade to a suite if they have different showers in the bathroom!
The casino staff and dealers were all friendly and seemed to enjoy their jobs. The Mob bar was a lot of fun with the dueling pianos. The pizza place is excellent and the S/O restaurant has really good food but the service is extremely slow.
Overall it was a good stay and we will be back.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Mena, Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

The hotel was very nice. It had a great view, very clean and well maintained. There was an additional charge of a resort fee but that gave us coupons for match table play free drinks and discounts in the restaurants. The valet staff were very helpful as well as the front desk staff. My mother even spent some time in the casino and they were very nice to her in there as well.

Close to Freemont street and a few places to eat but very little else. It is a long drive down to the strip comparatively. (Or an expensive cab ride as we discovered.)

The room did not have a fridge (a first for me as far Choice Hotels go) and the shower only had a partial divider which allowed water to still splash on the floor. Otherwise it was a great trip.

Room Tip: Rooms are technically across the street (via a glass walkway) so it will be a bit of a journey to ge...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Downtown Grand for our honeymoon in June after doing a lot of research on various hotels in Vegas. My husband is in the travel industry and actually lived in Las Vegas for 11 years, so we decided to try out the Downtown Grand. It was a true disappointment. The only great thing about the hotel was the valet staff - they were awesome! Everything else was a true disappointment. Our first room was noisy and faced the garage. . . we paid to be upgraded to a different room. However, the shower in the first room and the second room didn't have a curtain so the floors were a sloppy mess each time we used them.

We ate at a couple of the restaurants, and while the breakfast service was good, the evening service was slow and unresponsive.

We like to gamble, at least my husband does, and when we tried to talk with a host we were given the run around and finally told they would contact us. They never did.

The location is good, but the overall experience was not what we expected and we will not be staying there again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Jimmy P, Vice President of Operations at Downtown Grand, an Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
Dear JNW6467,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I am truly sorry your experience was less than enjoyable. We do strive to give excellent customer service and hope you will give us another chance.

Jimmy Palmer
Vice President of Operations

Been to Downtown Grand, an Ascend Collection Hotel? Share your experiences!