“Good quality hotel but a few specific complaints...” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   206 N. 3rd Street, Las Vegas, NV 89101 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #65 of 269 Hotels in Las Vegas
New York City, New York
“Good quality hotel but a few specific complaints...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

The hotel is cool and in a good location but there were a few things that bug me:

- no doors on the showers (one of those open ones with just a half glass wall)-- it's FREEZING!
- the room doors SLAM shut if you don't hold them-- this is extremely annoying to be in your room hearing other people's door slam
- you can clearly hear the flushing toilets of the rooms around you

I still give the hotel a "very good" rating because of the quality and location-- if you're not in your room much, those things I listed aren't as bothersome. I'm just fascinated that any hotel designer wouldn't pay particular attention to making sure those things didn't happen.

Room Tip: If hallway noise bothers you, make sure you get a room at the far end of the hallway… helps a bit...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Jan B, Director of Sales at Downtown Grand, an Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this review, August 3, 2014
Dear NYCJennifer,
Thank you for choosing Downtown Grand to host your recent stay! Your comments and suggestions are extremely valued and are important to us. We hope you visit us again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
  • Korean first
Chino Hills, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

I'll start off by saying that if you are there on vacation then this might be the place for you. But I was there on business and I would not recommend this place to someone who needs a good night sleep. My room, which was clean, was on the 15th floor over several great restaurants. when I arrived in my room at 9:00 pm you could hear the music playing from somewhere down stairs. My roommate who had been there for 2 nights previous informed me that this was nothing. There are live concerts (or maybe DJ's) that start at 10:00 and that she hasn't had a good night sleep since she got there. Long story short, it was 1:30 am before I was able to get to sleep and I even tried ear plugs. The walls are thin and you can hear your neighbors talking and front doors slamming closed. I got maybe 4 hours sleep! I am scheduled to stay there for Market for a week at the end of July and I am mortified at the fact that I will not be able to do my job and work a 12 hour day + for 7 days if I stay there. I'm afraid the white fluffy towels and free parking will not compensate for the lack of sleep. This girl will be looking for an alternative even if I have to pay out of my own pocket. My suggestion is at least some better thicker windows.

Room Tip: You might want to try a room above the 15th floor or maybe a quieter side of the hotel.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Jimmy P, Vice President of Operations at Downtown Grand, an Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Dear KGPatchett,

Thank you for your review. I'm sorry to hear you had a hard time getting sleep during your stay. Please know you can request a room that faces away from 3rd Street upon your next visit. These rooms are quieter.

Jimmy Palmer
Vice President of Operations
Kingman, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

This recently opened hotel in Downtown Vegas provides a slightly quieter alternative to the Fremont scene, yet is only one block away. The rooms are designed in a modern motif and color schemes that are different from your conventional hotel style. The rooms are comfortable and clean, although the shower configuration is somewhat odd, with only one half of the shower shielded from the rest of the bathroom by a glass divider. This leads to water spraying onto the bathroom floor and creating a somewhat dangerous situation for the unwary. Currently one of the better priced properties and well worth the lower end price tag. The staff is still going through some training so, don't expect the lightning fast service you might find in a more established hotel in Vegas, but the level of care and concern rivals most in Vegas. The property also has a good selection of on-site dining at reasonable prices and a wonderful pool area for relaxing. All in all I would recommend the Downtown Grand as a solid selection, but hope that they continue to improve on their services and possibly rethink the bathroom setup with the showers.

Room Tip: All rooms seem to have a great view. We stayed in the west tower, so you might want to try the east...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear Dana H,
Thank you for being our guest at Downtown Grand! We appreciate you comments/concerns as it helps us to improve in certain areas. Please think of us on your next visit.
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

As a Vegas resident I was charged with locating a property and making arrangements for a mini family meet-up with folks from DC, Chicago and Cali. I chose the Grand because it was new. I would go back to the Grand because it was great. Starting with Erica W. who was most gracious in helping us make flexible arrangements, everyone in our group voted thumbs up for the whole experience. Good food / beverage options. Great location: easily accessible to Freemont Street spectacle but not right in the midst of the craziness. Very nice rooms though walls are a bit thin; hence, the complimentary earplugs (?).. Our neighbors were quiet so not a problem .Our DC contingent has already recommended DTG to a friend and they are coming out next month, DBW

Room Tip: Ask for room away from Freemont side.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Jan B, Director of Sales at Downtown Grand, an Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Dear Deb W,

Thank you for the great comments! Glad you got to experience the warm hospitality our team has to offer. We look forward to having you and your colleagues back with us soon (:
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

This hotel is consistently amazing. Victoria the assistant manager, Marnelli the casino host and all the staff here are really good at what they do. The room was clean and well maintained and they treat their casino guests very well. As a side note, I would definitely choose this hotel over the D downtown, that hotel is awful, see my review of it for more details.

Room Tip: The Premium Rooms are very nice.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Dear Chicagoman88,
Thank you for choosing Downtown Grand as your place to stay when in downtown Las Vegas! It is great to hear you had a great experience with our team members. Looking forward to having you back with us soon (:
Ivins, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

We had a great experience both times we stayed at the Downtown Grand. The rooms are very clean and have great comfy beds. I slept like a rock in the bed. The bathroom is very nice and is stocked with nice shampoo and other soaps and lotion. They even have a very nice hair dryer in there. The resort fee covers bottled water in the room, and if you need more just ask. The staff is very nice and friendly. I cannot say enough good about this hotel.

Room Tip: Get a high room on the west side of the tallest tower.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear LisaandWayne828,
Thank you for being our guest not once but twice! It is great to hear you had a great experience both times. Hope to have you back soon.
Norfolk England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

After a long day driving from W Wendover through the desert, finally got to the Grand. Valet parked but still had to drag bags through some of the casino to get to check in. Had booked a premium king which was a nice room. It was overlooking the Hogs and Heffers so there was some noise from the Fremont St bands. It seems to echo louder as the base sound from the stage travels down the narrow road into the hotel. There were ear plugs but we did not need them, soon fell asleep from busy days! Our stay was mid week so if the noise is worse on weekends, I can't say.
We found the shower with the half glass panel no problem at all, I don't know what some people must do to create so much mess they speak of.
The bed was very comfortable, as were the pillows. Also had a good picture on the TV and good wifi connection in the room.
The free coffee in the Art bar in the mornings is very good. It's self serve from flasks.
Went to the pool, it was a very nice area, clean and well spaced out chairs. It was quiet, which we like as we are older and not into party pools at all. Our pool time is to relax. Again on weekends and in the evenings things could be quite different as they do hold parties there. Overall though it was better for us than previous stays downtown at the Golden Nugget where the pool is so tightly packed, it's horrid.
Had a meal in the Stewart and Ogden which we enjoyed. Good service and food. Would eat there again. Wanted to see the Mob bar but it was closed, only opened weekends it seemed.
Overall opinion of this hotel was, it's very good and would recomend it but it is not as posh as the GN.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Jan B, Director of Sales at Downtown Grand, an Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this review, August 2, 2014
Hi cliveasmith,
Thank you for being our guest at Downtown Grand! We know you have many choices and appreciate you giving us a shot. Please think of us when you come back to downtown Vegas (:

Been to Downtown Grand, an Ascend Collection Hotel? Share your experiences!