“Channeling old Las Vegas!” 4 of 5 stars

(702) 384 4470
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Golden Steer Steak House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #327 of 3,844 restaurants in Las Vegas
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: The Strip
Transit: Taxi and limo service available
Atascadero, California
“Channeling old Las Vegas!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

We read a mention of the Golden Steer in Saveur magazine and thought to give it a try when we visited last week. On the outside, it doesn't look like much, a bit off the strip. It claims to be the oldest steakhouse in Vegas, founded in 1958. However, when you step inside, it is 60's, old school luxe. Deep leather banquettes, Sinatra and Dean Martin on the stereo, low lighting and waiters in tuxedos. The menu is also old school steakhouse. I had the petite filet and my husband has a New York strip and lobster. The martinis were perfect as was the wine. The steak was the best I've had in years and I finished it all (a rarity). The waiters and staff were wonderful, even calling us a limo when we left and we paid the same price as a cab. There is a booth in the corner for the "rat pack" who regularly visited here along with many other celebrities. There is also a back room where the mob would meet, complete with a back door for a hasty exit if necessary. According to the waitstaff, it is still a favorite among celebrities. Once inside, I understood why. The only drawback is that it is pricey. I would recommend that two people share the sides (which were very large and came in their own dishes) and concentrate on the main entrees and drinks. All in all, this was a great visit. It is a great taste of old Vegas.

• 4 of 5 stars Food

71% Recommend
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
“Old Vegas Style with No Flavor”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Don't bother with this restaurant when there are so many great options in Vegas. The interior is old-Vegas which was nice with a captain, waiter and bus person for the table. Unfortunately the food just tasted old. The server stated "we are known for our Prime Rib" so we ordered that and a New York Steak. Prime Rib ranged from $37 to $40 depending on the cut and we like the end cut because all the seasoning is there. This had no seasoning. I would be surprised if they used salt and pepper. Buffets here serve a more tasty prime rib. Also, the price was ala carte. For less money at Lawry's you get salad and a side and FLAVOR. At Carnevino you can get an aged steak. Golden Steer is definite not worth the trip down memory lane.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Las Vegas
“Sad to see it go downhill”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

I’ve enjoyed eating at the Golden Steer for the past 15 or so years.

Just the thought of that old time Vegas room with the Dean Martin music, red leather booths and swimming pool sized martinis always warmed my heart.

The prime rib was catcher mitt sized, and the red sauce they liberally douse over pasta dishes was as good a red sauce as you’ll find in any other joint in town.

So it was only natural that I took some family members to the Steer after having been away for a couple of years.

And I’m sad to report that the place has fallen down, and the indifference from the old school staff that used to be so charming now seems like an insurmountable obstacle for fixing a broken restaurant

What went wrong: for starters there was no prime rib. For a place that prides itself on its signature dish to be out of the stuff at 6 pm is simply unacceptable. And the rib eye that I ordered as a substitute for 43 bucks was nowhere near the quality you’d get at Gallagher’s or the many other steakhouses in town.

What should have been the tipoff that the Steer had lost its way were the shrimp cocktails that we ordered as appetizers. While gulf shrimp, they were previously frozen and were as limp as my libido. At $17 bucks a pop that was simply robbery to serve them in that condition.

Likewise, the calamari was undercooked and soft, and at $13 wasn’t worth a third of that. Even the toasted ravioli appetizer tasted like it had been made the day before and heated in the microwave.

The King estate pinot noir we ordered tasted like it had been stored at the wrong temperature. My bad for not sending it back.

A plate of eight large mushrooms was brought to the table and doused with some kind of butter sauce. The presentation was thoughtless and amateurish.

I asked for some horseradish sour cream to accompany my steak and was brought a dollop of sour cream and a fistful of horseradish, unmixed in a serving dish.

Having failed to finish our steaks my dining companions had the busboy package them up for us. When we forgot them on the table neither the busboy, waiter or hostess bothered to remind us, and we left without them.

While the martinis are still large (for which you’ll now pay $16) the Steer has fallen several notches. There are simply too many other great steak eating experiences in town for me to pay for a visit again. And I’m sorry to write that because it has been one of my favorite places for a long time.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Charlotte, NC
“Carry out bags”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

An awesome dining experience, but please don't make me carry my $145 steak dinner home in a noisy plastic "chinese food thank you" bag and a styrofoam box. An inexpensive brown handled bag and a paper box would have been a great last impression.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Best steak in town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

We have visited over two dozen steak houses in town. The last two trips featured the Golden Steer. And so will the next one. It has history, service and great food. It will be well worth the short cab ride from your hotel on the strip to Sahara. It is close and tasty. Not to mention the atmosphere enjoyed by the Rat Pack, Elvis and many, many others. We will return, the very next time in LV!

• 5 of 5 stars Food

Been to Golden Steer Steak House? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Golden Steer Steak House, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.