“Staff service” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #166 of 272 Hotels in Las Vegas
Vancouver
“Staff service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We were checked into a room that was already occupied. Their bags were there were in the room but thankfully they weren't! It could have been a bad situation for both parties. The staff was prompt on moving us to a vacant room, but it was 12:15 am and we just got off a 4 hour flight. Needless to say we were not exactly happy about the situation.Thanks for your concern.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Mark C, General Manager at Howard Johnson Tropicana, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the HOJO Tropicana. I sincerely apologize that your stay was anything less than perfect. I can assure you that I will discuss this matter with my team. Thank you again and we hope to see you again in the near future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Montgomery, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

Good for a couple of nights. Walk to MGM and cheap food. We couldn't get an iron so bring your own. No fridge or microwave in the rooms. It is good for what you pay for. If you don't plan to spend a lot of time in the room then this hotel is good.

• Stayed April 2013
Thank you for your comments; we are happy that you found our property to be such a great value. We sincerely hope to have you as our guest again in the near future.
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

I was looking for a last minute hotel for my birthday weekend. Every other hotel on the strip was either booked or overly priced, and then I found Howard Johnson Tropicana. It was super cheap and located near the strip. The rooms are recently renovated. Nothing fancy but the beds and tv were modern. Something that I didn't like was that it's basically hidden all the way towards a back parking lot. It's right next to an America's Best Value Inn and Motel 6. I do have high hopes for this hotel room. I hope it receives more property and can be located closer to the street so that you won't get so lost. For the price and location, I would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013
Mark C, General Manager at Howard Johnson Tropicana, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Howard Johnson Tropicana. We sincerely appreciate the feedback and are happy that you enjoyed your stay in one of newly renovated rooms. Thank you again and we hope to see you again in the near future!
Tucson, AZ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

I stayed at the Howard Johnson on Tropicana Ave with my son's soccer team for a tournament in Las Vegas. We had received an inexpensive group rate which was very affordable considering that there were two major events occurring in Las Vegas that weekend which drove the rates at other hotels sky high. This is not a hotel that I ordinarily stay at for leisure visits to Vegas. The major bad points of this hotel is that the non-smoking rooms are NOT non-smoking rooms and if you are sensitive to cigarette residue, this could be a big problem. I felt like I would get second hand smoke from our room even though no one was smoking. Secondly, the walls are paper thin, meaning that you can hear every utterance and foul word coming from the guests staying in adjoining rooms. Fortunately, we did not have to listen to anything beyond cussing, which I was relieved about having my child present..... Finally, we felt generally unsafe in this area. Being behind the strip as opposed to on the strip, it is very dark and less populated, meaning that we felt nervous walking back to the hotel. I felt very grateful that I didn't have my other two very young children with me on this trip.... The positives of this hotel were that the rooms appeared to be clean. Our linens were clean and nothing stood out to me as having been neglected by the housekeepers. The television and appliances worked and we had a hot shower every day! This hotel was an example of the adage, "You get what you pay for". In summary, this is not somewhere that I'd likely stay at again with my family, but if you are just looking for a super cheap place to rest your head and you don't mind braving dark streets and the issues that I mentioned above, then the Howard Johnson might be an option!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Mark C, General Manager at Howard Johnson Tropicana, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your stay. I apologize that the prior guest apparently smoked in your nonsmoking room. For future reference please call the front desk if you are not completely satisfied with your accommodations. We would be happy to move you to another room or location that you might feel more comfortable in; we have staff on 24/7 to assist you. We are happy that you found our rooms to be super clean and to be a great value.

Been to Howard Johnson Tropicana? Share your experiences!