“Felt like an older motel attempting to be updated to a timeshare” 2 of 5 stars

15% Off
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersBronze level
Clayton, California
“Felt like an older motel attempting to be updated to a timeshare”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

The Desert Rose is a timeshare resort - sits next door to Hooters which is a run down casino and is off the Strip a good two blocks South of the MGM. It is walking distance to the MGM and that's why we stayed there, for a big named show we had tickets to. It feels like the timeshare company bought an old motel, slapped on a new facade - but nevertheless, it felt motel-ish. Not like a Motel 6, but more like a step down from Residence Inns/Hawthorne Suites. Three floors with pretty much open hallways to get to the rooms and a parking lot that surrounds the outside of the buildings - so the majority of the rooms are looking at a car in the parking lot. The rooms were small and especially the kitchen - what we call a 1 butt kitchen. A very small 4 seater dining table. Furnishings look as if they had been updated, flat screen TVs and a nice couch, bed, etc. but the rooms again were dark and small and so were the bathrooms most likely because of the conversion from motel to attempt a condo feel. The pool area was very small and needs upgrading. The lobby was terrific though - felt spacious and had great room for groups to play cards, get a cup of coffee/tea and visit. This was the best part of the resort. For a Shell Vacations Resort I was surprise. Too bad because this is not a good reflection as a Shell property. It is very close to the airport so you will hear planes. There is a security feature for entrance to property so good job Shell in making guests feel safe in that area.

Room Tip: Request a room facing the pool or perhaps one of the inner small courtyards on 2nd/3rd level if you...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Dear TravelinWillers,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us, we appreciate your candid feedback. Our units are larger than most other accommodation offerings in this area. The fact that they boast full kitchens is also rare for this proximity to the Las Vegas strip. Please stay tuned for our full property renovation scheduled later this year, which will address all areas of the property, including the pool deck. We are glad you enjoyed our spacious and welcoming lobby, and hope you will return to see our brand new Resort in the future.

Kind Regards,

Derek Shelly

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (485)
Bournemouth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

The Desert Rose Resort is a quiet condo hotel a short walk away from all the wonders of the Las Vegas strip..close to the MGM and monorail. The apartments are a little dated which in our opinion made them more comfortable with a kitchen, balcony and separate bedroom with a large comfortable kingsized bed and an ensuite bathroom. The living room had a sofa bed for an extra 2 people. We had everything we needed including a full size cooker, microwave, juice maker, coffee maker and free coffee. The resort has a hot tub, a nice swimming pool and very good security. Staff at the resort are very helpful and nothing was too much trouble. If you want to stay close to the strip without the smokey casinos and the noise this is just the place for you.

Room Tip: Our room on the 2nd floor overlooked the courtyard and was quiet.
Dear dalan1524,

Thank you kindly for providing feedback about your recent stay with us. We are delighted that you had a comfortable and pleasurable experience at Desert Rose. It is our hope that you make plans to return in the near future, as we look forward to welcoming you back.

Newbury Park, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

What a great deal we got at this place! Living room/dining area full kitchen and a separate bedroom for about $100 a night ( you must accept their non-refundable deal on their website). You can't find a decent hotel on the strip for this little let alone one with all these amenities. It was like having our own little apartment. The complex itself has more of a feel of being in a condo or apartment complex than a hotel. I didn't feel the décor was especially dated as other reviews mentioned except for the cottage cheese ceiling. Very comfy bed.The location couldn't be better. About a 5-10 minute walk to the strip with the nearest big hotel being the MGM Grand where we were able to walk to see Cirque du Soleil. All personal were very helpful.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the next door Hooters Hotel as there is loud music coming from their pool ar...
Dear CookiesDaddy,

Thank you for providing positive feedback about your recent experience! We are so glad to hear your stay was comfortable, enjoyable, and that you found our staff very helpful. I will share your feedback with my team, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

St. John's, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

We rented at Desert Rose, after reading Trip Advisor, as it offered the things we wanted: a bedroom that was closed off from the living area; Wi-Fi; no resort fees; pool; full kitchen and within walking distance of the Strip. Unfortunately, we began our holiday with both of us sick with colds! Therefore, we never got to try the pool (which looked lovely) and did little except rest. It was a lovely quite space but only a 10 minute walk to the Excalibur and even less, if you go out the back way, to the Shrine of the Most Holy Redeemer at 55 East Reno Ave for Sunday Mass. We found a little market down the street that had some of the things we needed (soup, cough drops, etc) AND that had an ATM+ machine which was the only kind I could use my PC debit card in! The staff were all very lovely and helpful. We did not take advantage of the lunch/cash offer to listen to the presentation. My only disppaointments were: I found the WI-FI spotty, the hot water for the ktchen sink was not hot & there was no kettle for this tea drinker. I boiled water in a small pot!! Would we go back there? For sure! It is "behind" Hooters which has a taxi stand and a great restaurant - the Mad Onion.

Room Tip: We were in BLDG 3 on the ground floor. We had a little balcony looking at the parking lot but that w...
Green Features: The hotel is trying to be more environmentally friendly and provided recycling bags BUT there were no guidelines about what was acceptable as recycling in this area.
Dear Duffy5,

Thank you for reviewing your recent experience at Desert Rose. We are so sorry to hear that you were sick on vacation, but are very glad to hear you enjoyed your visit with us. To address your constructive comments, we are upgrading our wifi system very soon, and we do have tea kettles available upon request. Also, please rest assured we do have Maintenance staff available to address any unit concerns every day. We are excited to have you back in the future, and look forward to your repeat business.

Warm Regards,

Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

My first impression of the room upon entering was not the best but after weighing all the pros and cons it definitely was at the top of my list. The furniture is dated and worn and the carpet had some stains and our balcony view was of the lobby roof and bathroom was fairly small. I did request a third floor which we did not get so we did hear a few footsteps from above. After being there a short time we realized that the room was great as the important things were positive....room was clean...I really don't like housekeeping coming into my room every day ( they only clean every 4th day)....the view of the lobby roof was good as no one could see into our room so we could keep the balcony door open... bed was super comfy,,, we had a full kitchen (we bused it to Whole Foods for a few essentials) so were able to at least have breakfast in our room, but I like to cook so we had a couple of dinners too...had a balcony... and was an easy walk from the strip and felt safe walking at night...room was quiet at night, even left window open one night and heard nothing...pool was a little cool but a quiet pool and had the best music in the pool area all the time. It is a timeshare resort and were given an offer to come listen to their sell (card was left in our door) but never once were we harassed or even called to ask us to so. This was a ++++ resort and will be going back. The best part was that it was very affordable.

Green Features: Desert Rose has excellent recycling system. Even paper cups for coffee in the lobby. They do not clean every day so encourages using towels more than once. There are signs to turn out lights and turn down air conditioning before leaving the room
Derek S, Manager at Desert Rose Resort, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Dear kber82,

Thank you for taking the time to detail your recent experience. We are delighted that you enjoyed the serenity, cleanliness, and kitchen in your unit. Please rest assured that our upcoming renovation will replace all furniture and carpets, and we look forward to showcasing our new units. We are also glad you enjoyed the pool area, and would like to assure you the pool is heated as well. We are extremely happy to hear that you plan on returning, and hope you will do so very soon.

Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I stayed at the Desert Rose Resort in Las Vegas with friends while there for the equestrian world cup at the Thomas & Mack arena. This was a great place!! I loved the fact that it did not smell like smoke (like the casinos), had windows that opened and a balcony, and of course the kitchen & refrigerator. It has indoor/outdoor hallways so it is not closed in and has a nice open feel. It was close to the strip, just about a block from the MGM, an easy walk. And close to the arena--about a 30 minute walk or a quick car trip. There is a liquor store and grocery store within walking distance but the liquor store is a little pricey. We drove to a Whole Foods so don't know what the nearby grocery store is like. The only bummer is there's no breakfast, at all. But there's a coffee machine in the kitchen and you can get more coffee upon request. And there's coffee and tea available in the lounge. They only cleaned one day out of five, but that was not a big deal for us. You can get more towels upon request. The pool and Jacuzzi are not fancy but looked inviting. We were too busy to get in them though. The staff was mostly very pleasant and helpful. One snafu when I tried to get an extra blanket, but I eventually got it. I got a much better price by first looking online and then calling directly and asking for a better deal. There's free wifi in the rooms as well. The room was pretty quiet except you could hear the planes from the airport but that wasn't overly loud or a problem. I would definitely stay there again and I recommend it.

Room Tip: We had a third floor room in building 3 that faced the inside parking lot (it faced towards the fron...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
Derek S, Manager at Desert Rose Resort, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Karen W,

Thank you so much for your recent business and review of your trip. It sounds like you found our location perfect for your needs, and are glad you took advantage of the complimentary wifi access, and coffee/tea in the lobby area. Regarding breakfast, stay tuned for our lobby refurbishment later this year; when completed, we will have a bar and food & beverage facility on site. Thank you for recommending us to others, and we look forward to hosting your next stay.

McCleary, Washington, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

So, we stayed 4/4/15 through 4/11/15. We knew from previous reviews that we were going to be staying at a dated resort but that typically is not a reason for us to be compelled to write a review. We paid in full for this entire trip on 10/24/14. Actually, I was going to refrain (and let it be) until we got our credit card statement and found that we were charged $19.55 for no explicable reason. When we checked out on the 4/11 my wife asked the front desk attendant if we were "square" (I was packing the rental car in case you are wondering what the heck I was doing). The young lady who my wife was speaking to (her name should be on the invoice) said we owed $19.55 but could not provide a reason for the charge. She looked for help in the back to assist with providing a reason but could not obtain assistance so she told us "Don't worry about it. Everything is fine." My wife said, "So, we are Even Steven?" and the attendant said "Yes." So, fast forward to today (4/23/15) and we get our bill and what do we see? A charge from the Desert Rose Resort for $19.55. So, my wife makes the call to the resort (as I was in the middle of a workout....) and speaks with Michele. Again, Michele is unable to provide an explanation for the additional fee. I know it is only $19.55 but we work hard for our money and do not appreciate being ripped off. My wife asked for a supervisor and was put on the line with James (this is at 6 pm pacific time tonight 4/23/15). James makes another feeble attempt to explain the charge but unfortunately (although a very courteous fellow) he fails miserably. So, my wife asks to speak with the Resort Manager Derek Shelly (you recognize him as the gentleman who attempts to respond to all the reviews on this website). So, my wife is placed on hold with the intent that she will be patched through to Mr. Shelly's voice mail. Guess what happens? Yeah, you got it, dial tone. James hung up on my wife. I would think that James knows how to transfer a call??? So, now you know why we were compelled to write this review. Our only hope is that the seemingly helpful Resort Manager Derek Shelly will do the right thing and credit our account the $19.55 that we are owed. We left our room in better condition than when we arrived and would sure appreciate being made whole again. About the resort, the location is great. Directly behind Hooters so great access to the strip. The pool is OK unless one of the children decide to leave a Babyruth in it then they shut it down (understandable) and kick everybody out. I am sure that is protocol but again we had to ask for a manager for accommodation (first time we met Mr. Shelly) and they obtained permission for us to use Hooter's pool. Had to ask though. I am assuming (could be wrong) that because we are not owners we were placed in the building that has not been renovated (3rd floor building 3). The kitchen was cool but we only felt comfortable sitting on the furniture if it was covered with extra sheets. About the mattress cover sheets, they don't fit the bed and we continually had to wake up in the middle of the night to put them back on. As I said earlier, I am not some obsessed trip advisor review writer that lives for bashing resorts etc. We have stayed at many Wyndham properties and we hope to continue to do so but, I have my limits and would sure appreciate it if Derek Shelly would do the right thing and make us whole again. What do you say Derek??? Also, you may want to provide James with training on how to transfer a call....could help prevent further reviews like this one....just a thought.

Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Derek S, Manager at Desert Rose Resort, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear jhogster,

Thank you for your feedback, and for providing us an opportunity to correct anything that fell below your expectations during your stay. I would most certainly like to assist you in resolving the concern about the charge in question. As I cannot obtain your information here, I will kindly ask that you attempt to contact me directly at the Resort, and apologize that your call did not go through the first time. I do remember the incident at the pool you mention, and did speak with many guests that day. Please rest assured in the rare occurrence that the pool deck needs to be closed, we are always thinking ahead to provide an alternative. On that particular day the unexpected incident had just occurred, and we just needed a few minutes to provide an alternative. You also mention your room placement, and we would like to clarify that there is no bearing on building placement that correlates to the type of stay you are on. We will undergo a full property refurbishment later this year, and all buildings are included. Once again, please accept our apologies for the issues you experienced. I look forward to hearing from you, and do hope you continue to patronize Wyndham properties.

Sincerely

Derek Shelly

Been to Desert Rose Resort? Share your experiences!