“Very Nice Resort” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Twentynine Palms, California
“Very Nice Resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at this resort and would definitely stay here again! I stayed in a one bedroom w/ a king size bed that had more than enough space for one person. The quality was great for the price with the location being about two miles from UNLV's Thomas and Mack Center and not a long walk at all from The Strip. I loved the fact that I was able to stay at a hotel very close to The Strip w/o being on The Strip and paying The Strip hotel prices.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (464)
Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

The Desert Rose Resort is very comfortable and the staff is helpful and friendly. It was a great place to return to to relax and re-charge before going out into the jungle of the Las Vegas strip! The rooms are spacious and the kitchens well equipped. On the first night I asked the desk clerk where the closest store was to buy coffee filters she said not to worry and minutes later a package of filters was delivered to my room! The pool looked great though it was too chilly to swim - kids were enjoying it though. The resort is at the south end of the strip, beside Hooters and the Tropicana and across from the MGM Grand, so it's a bit of a walk to get right into the thick of things, but not too taxing. The breakfasts are ok - some days were better than others, but they are free which was appreciated. I'd highly recommend this resort.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Washington, D.C
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Stayed in a one bedroom unit for Fri/Sat night, peak nights in Vegas at peak prices. The room was bought during a sale that had it half of a Strip room at a mid level property. The room was great, clean and had a well stocked kitchen with all the needed supplies. Few Vegas visitors would cook an actual meal, the fridge is more for beer/water and leftovers but its nice to have the option to cook. Hooters casino is a 2 minute walk and you can be at the Tropicana or MGM grand in 10 minutes. The hotel had a lot of families there for sports tournaments/dance competitions, etc. Some complain on reviews about breakfast.....it's free and simple, and did I mention free? Eggo style waffles and sausage links one morning, biscuits/eggs with country gravy on the side the next. There is always coffee/juice/milk, yogurt and breads as well. It gets you to lunch, which is the important thing. I can see why this simple property is among the highest in Vegas rating-wise, its a great value and has a lot to offer if you aren't obsessed with staying on the 50th floor of the newest mega casino

Room Tip: I asked for a recently renovated room, I've stayed at timeshares and if older sometimes you get...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Carlsbad, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Greeted as old friends upon check-in, even given choice of floors/location. Near enough to the strip without the traffic and noise.

The room was wonderful after a long day on the road. Kitchen had a refrigerator, stove, coffee, microwave even a table for 4 to sit and eat. Living room had a balcony, large couch with chaise - easily enough comfortable seating for 4. Bed was comfortable, bathroom good.

Breakfast was a bit nutty - we've been to a number of hotels that offer breakfast and I've never seen the number of people having breakfast at the same time. The breakfast room (lobby), was plenty big, but people were lingering over coffee..I guess just hanging out. Unfortunately, that left few empty seats and people were juggling plates.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Wind Lake, WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I had stayed with the Desert Rose for an one-week training session on business. The classroom facilities were very nice and I found the rooms to be above average but not luxorious. The comforts were there and the rooms were clean. The breakfast was very good and included in my stay. On business, this was all great. The only downside I have to this resort is that it is difficult to manuver back and forth from the strip. If you are alone, this is a big concern. There is no restaurant on site so other than room service, you must leave the hotel. Hooters is next door but you must walk around one side of the building through a large parking lot to get in and if you want to go to the strip you must walk an even farther distance to get to a populated 'safe' area. I never had any problems but did find myself looking over my shoulder many times. I found that taxis would not be willing to take you short distances because it was not worth the fare. I found it best to walk as far down the strip as I could to be able to get a taxi ride back and skip the walk. The hotel did the best they could with what they had in my opinion but location to the strip can always be a deciding factor. Had I been there with more people, this wouldn't have been an issue and had I been there for pleasure, I do prefer a hotel with a casino on the strip.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
San Ramon, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

This Resort is very convenient just being 11/2 blocks from the Las Vegas strip.
We are timeshare owners and we exchange one of our weeks to stay here.
We were really surprise to see how (even though being a smaller resort in comparison to others that we have stayed in the past) everyone was ready to assist us in whatever need we had. The room fulfill our needs, breakfast was included every day, and from Monday thru Thursday we were treated to wine, beer, and different snacks to have the chance to meet other guests and Resort staff from 5 to 7 pm.
We highly recommend this Resort and if we go back to Las Vegas guess where we will stay again.

Room Tip: Just call.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Lincoln, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

The Desert Rose is the perfect starting point for visits to the Strip---but more importantly, a quiet and welcoming place to get back away from it all again each night.

From the moment we arrived, we noticed how friendly and helpful the staff were. The concierge helped us book tickets to a show right after check-in, and the next morning I noticed her out in the breakfast area assuring a family she would personally watch for a package they were expecting. You could tell she really cared. (Our treatment at the MGM Grand concierge desk when picking up our tickets was efficient but cold and impersonal by contrast; the Desert Rose staff seemed much friendlier and more personable.)

My nephew and I got a two-bedroom, two-bathroom suite with a living room, balcony, dining area and full kitchen (toaster, microwave, utensils, full-sized fridge, oven and dishwasher) for considerably less than a single bedroom on the Strip would have cost. We enjoyed the sun by the pool each afternoon, and enjoyed soaking in the hot tub each night. We also enjoyed getting away from the ching-ching-ching and smoke of the casinos each night.

The room did show some wear, but this was pretty easy for us to overlook, because the beds were comfy and wonderful, the bathrooms were clean, and the staff was friendly. The grounds were nicely manicured, the pool area was spacious and inviting, the hot-tub was hot and bubbly, the breakfast and coffee were good, there were grills out by the pool for cooking your own food, the workout room was nice, the parking was free and security was good.

We stayed on the third floor and noticed no noise from other rooms, so get third floor room if that worries you. Also, I read a negative review about a view to the inner courtyard and elevator: I have to admit, the inner courtyard does not make for the greatest view (although it's not quite as bad as that review made it sound). Still, I do suggest getting a room that faces outward if possible. Our room faced outwards to the west, so we could see parking lot but also a fair bit of the Strip, so we were happy.

This resort is a five-minute walk from the MGM Grand, from which you can catch the Monorail, or walk a few more minutes to the Strip itself and the bus-stop a minute north of the MGM Grand. Here you will find the SDX (Strip-to-Downtown Express) and Deuce (double-decker) buses which continue on to downtown (Fremont Street). Or just get in the taxi-line at Hooters, which is right next door and therefore just a minute or two away. (When walking to these places, take a short-cut through the parking lots rather than the sidewalk---it's quieter (farther from traffic) and avoids the pan-handlers on the sidewalk.)

If you're looking for comfortable, reasonably-priced, quiet, non-smoking, non-casino accommodations for you and your family to have a place to relax after the excitement of Vegas, I think you'll be quite happy with this place. If you want to be in the middle of the action and the party all the time, stay on the Strip itself.

Room Tip: Third floor for quiet; outside views are best.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Desert Rose Resort? Share your experiences!