“Not what I expected” 2 of 5 stars

Visit Mike Hammer - Comedy Magic Show like an insider
$23*
and up
More attraction details
Owner description: As Featured on A&E TV. "You may have seen other magicians, but Hammer gives it the extra dimension."LAS VEGAS REVIEW JOURNAL When Hammer hits the stage you know you're in for a ride. He is a master of cutting wit and non-stop improvisation--every show an original. Hammer's rapid-fire performance includes an awesome display of mind reading, the swallowing of double-edged razor blades, gags, pranks and general mayhem.BEWARE! Every show is loaded with 100% audience participation. Nobody is safe.It's time to Get Hammer'd. The show runs about 70 minutes. Recommended age 13+
Shoreview, Minnesota
4 attraction reviews
“Not what I expected”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I wanted to like this show. I really did. It is highly rated on TripAdvisor, and outside of my flights was the only scheduled event of my trip.

I had a general admission ticket, and was seated at a small table near the front. While waiting for the show to start, they were showing clips of videos like something from America’s Funniest Home Videos. The audience was howling with laughter as the injury count piled up, and I started to have a sinking feeling that I was in the wrong place.

I thought the magic was skillfully performed, although I have seen similar effects performed many times elsewhere. Where he brought originality was with his humor and interaction with the audience. He was quick on his feet, and plenty of people were laughing hysterically. But to quote the fish in the Cat in the Hat, “Oh, I do not like it! Not one little bit!”

His brand of humor was to insult the audience in general and the participants in particular. The stage lighting may have made it difficult for Mike to see, but I witnessed one young boy who looked crestfallen throughout the remainder of the show following his “participation.” I think the reason I enjoy Mac King and Jan Rouven more is that with their humor, they are poking fun at themselves.

He posed for pictures afterwards, but I just wanted to leave and avoid any additional zingers on the way out.

Visited December 2012
MikeHammerLasVegas, Owner at Mike Hammer - Comedy Magic Show, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Hello,
You seem like a very kind person and I can understand someone not liking my sarcastic sense of humor. I try not to hide that fact and as most people state in their reviews, I pick on the audience, although my intent is never to insult.

I am glad you had a chance to see Jan Rouven. He is a great guy and puts on a great show, as does Mac.

Thank you for sharing. :)

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
49 attraction reviews
“Mediocre at best”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I guess as far as Vegas shows go, you get what you pay for. At $15, with a voucher, you really can't moan too much.
Mike interacted with the crowd which was good to see and made them comfortable when he called them up to the stage. He was quick on his feet with retiration and quips, though was never really heckled by the crowd so I can not if good faith comment on his real comical prowess.
The magic unfortunately was OK at best. Though in his favour, he is a good showman, he just needs to step up his stage magic. Though with the manifestation of acts like Dynamo the magician I think acts like Mikes are waning.
So to surmise, if you find yourself in the wrong end of Vegas with a few dollars to spare around seven in the evening, then by all means go meet Mike Hammer.

Visited January 2013
MikeHammerLasVegas, Owner at Mike Hammer - Comedy Magic Show, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dynamo, for people that live outside the UK is a tv magician much like that of Cris Angel and David Blaine. There are a different set of circumstances when comparing magic on stage to that on television. Mine is not an illusion show and for that I recommend Jan Rouven, David Copperfield, and Penn and Teller (who are not illusionists, but put on a great show).

Thank you Michael H.
Las Cruces
“Straight people aren't supposed to be this funny”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I'm a college student who spent my New Year's break in Phoenix with my cousin. We decided to go to Vegas on New Year's Day. We used the American Casino's Guide 2013 to get 2 tickets for a very inexpensive $20 (compared to the other Vegas shows) with no fee nor tax. I also got the coupon of $15 for the $25 VIP ticket (ask for it at the front desk or the box office), which I tried to stack with the 2-for-1 offer but of course was turned down (worth a shot though).

We waited in line for about 20 minutes, primarily because there was an usher who led each person/group to their seats; I guess audience placement is important for this kind of thing. We atched some America's Funniest Home Videos while we waited for Mike to begin the show.

All in all, this was a $20 very well spent, since there was no moment in the show when it stopped being entertaining. You can rest assured that Mike made fun of every single audience participants, but they were all in good fun. He (cheekily) hit on the women who joined him on stage, but it remained kid-friendly since I doubt they caught on it.

It helped that he was VERY quick-witted, and sarcastic, and catty in the best way. At the beginning I thought some of the audience members were plants because his off-the-cuff quips about them seemed so effortless -- just to name a few: he made fun of a guy's age, the dress a girl wore, and even the exotic names of some of the audience members, all delivered in lines that were original, and brilliant, and in good fun. However, when I was called to participate, all that doubt disappeared as he made fun of me with rapid-fire jokes, and I was so nervous that the only thing that I could remember was his "tall Asian" comment and the way he made fun of me saying my name: "err Kyle" (get it?).

I would say that I would believe Mike to be a *fabulous* gay guy if not for the fact that he hit on the women (if that was for show, I'd never know). Honestly, I never thought straight people (much less a straight guy) could be this funny, sarcastic, and wonderfully catty until I saw this show. I doubt that I will visit Vegas any time soon -- no other place could be as headache-inducing as this place -- but I will definitely pay to go to the show again if I had the chance. Perhaps Mike should do a college tour in the future (hint hint).

There was a bar near the stage, and the show ran for an hour and 15 minutes. We originally planned to go to the Riviera for the free comedy show (thanks to the American Casino's Guide coupon) but Mike's show easily exceeded the "comedy quota" for the night, we went to a nearby casino for a $20 buffet, which was horrendous, and explains why I forgot the name of it.

Visited January 2013
Kyle, your title is very funny, so therefore you must be.. never mind.
I do remember who you are because I remember picking on you. If my memory serves correct, you were sitting second table back along the aisle.

What an amazingly written piece this review has become... that sounded very much like Shakespeare.

I do hit on the women in my show as an act, but I AM straight. If you notice, some of the women have boyfriends or husbands and I would never really hit on someone who is attached. But it palys well for some of the bits in the show.

I cannot than you enough for such an interesting read.
Thank you thank you thank you.. ok, maybe that is enough.
Atlanta, Georgia
5 attraction reviews
“great comedy and magic in downtown Las Vegas”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

I love comedy and am dazzled by magic, so Mike Hammer was a perfect show for me. He was funny and he used his audience well, but he didn’t cross that fine line between toying with people and being mean. His magic relied heavily on uncanny mind reading – extremely well done, very impressive. He did a trick that Criss Angel did at the Luxor the night before, just as well, just as fascinating. This is an act to watch and is definitely not to be missed in Las Vegas. It is an incredible value ($35 and a drink ticket when purchased in advance). The show was early (7:00 p.m.) so you can stay and play downtown, a world unto its own.

Visited December 2012
Paula, I am glad I was a great show for you and that you found your way to downtown.
It's a great place to visit for those that want to take a small trip away from the strip.

Thank you for the great review!
Calgary, Canada
“Good times had by all!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

A great night to celebrate a birthday, Mike is a great host. Too many laughs and chuckles to count but for sure the whole audience was intently engaged or called on to be a willing victim!
Mike's mix of comedy and magic makes for a show that is great fun, affordable and worth going downtown for...dont be convinced to stay up on the Boulevard for all your entertainment!
Next time in Vegas count on us to be back for the show, and dinner downstairs at Hugo's is a great follow-up. Good Show, Good Food, Good Friends...don't be shy get hammer'd with Mike :-)

Visited November 2012
MikeHammerLasVegas, Owner at Mike Hammer - Comedy Magic Show, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Of course you loved it.. you're Canadian. Canadians have a great sense of humor and I am glad you made it down to my show. I hope you do come back.. anytime.

Thank you for the GREAT words and visiting the show!